So I think this happened before everything

Pretty good summary!

A few notes on stuff that's fallen to the wayside since the puzzle discussion forever ago.
It seemed the titles of King and Queen were mostly assigned due to narrative parallels between the Staffwielder and Maxwell, and the Torchbearer and Charlie. A few indicators of that, as well as their modern identities, can get kind of tangled up.
The Crown symbol and Staffwielder sitting on the Throne set up a bit of narrative parallel with Maxwell, but...there's more to it than that, which requires jumping back and forth between Torchy/Metheus and Staffy/Fuelweaver.

We see the Torchbearer saving the Staffwielder from the shadows, then 'something bad happening' to the Torchbearer; seemingly overwhelmed by shadows.
This sets things up for later.

In the present time, the Fuelweaver emerges by the power of the Gateway, with quite a few implications that the body is simply being borrowed (Wortox even mentions that the mind of the surface skeleton isn't quite right...and he seems to know some weird things about the world).
Fuely also mentions 'my' world and 'my' city in tatters, and that the players would fall 'as we did' and 'how far we've fallen'. He also asks the shadows, which we know the Ancients fused with, to lend him power 'one last time'.
All of that sets him up as likely being one of the previous rulers.
Given that the Staffwielder was the one capable of exerting some control over the shadows, and showed remorse much like Fuelweaver does toward the end, and Fuelweaver knows exactly what will happen if the Gate is opened...I'd say that the Fuelweaver is host to the Staffwielder's mind.

The Woven Shadows also seem like they might be Ancient leftovers called back by their ruler. Food for thought.

Finally, back to the Torchbearer.
If the Staffwielder is the Fuelweaver, then the 'Metheus' that Fuely refers to may be the Torchbearer.
So, what ever happened to her? She was overwhelmed by shadows...then what?

I think that the remnants of her broken mind are part of the Night Monster that corrupted/fused with Charlie.
Ancient Queen, new Queen. Both damned by their Kings, both corrupted and trapped in their own bodies with monsters.
The Torch has been shown to be able to suppress Shadows, much like Charlie did with the Throne to release Wilson. While her title is Shadow Queen, she was also shown early on to have some form of Light power, as early as her introduction trailer in DST. She captures or kills the Fuelweaver directly at the end of that fight, absorbs what seems to be Light from the portal, the Moon happens to have had a piece pulled down...
We didn't have some of this back when Metheus was released, but now, they don't seem like coincidences.

TL;DR
Fuelweaver has powers and dialog that make it seem like he's the Staffwielder, and calls out to Metheus on his deathbed.
Implication that Metheus is the Torchbearer, driven to madness over the eons by shadows and fused with Charlie, who shares likely motivations and powers.
The Staffwielder has parallels with King Maxwell, while the Torchbearer has parallels with Queen Charlie.

3 hours ago, maradyne said:

TL;DR
Fuelweaver has powers and dialog that make it seem like he's the Staffwielder, and calls out to Metheus on his deathbed.
Implication that Metheus is the Torchbearer, driven to madness over the eons by shadows and fused with Charlie, who shares likely motivations and powers.
The Staffwielder has parallels with King Maxwell, while the Torchbearer has parallels with Queen Charlie.

I decided to play safe because I've never seen their junks, but I get why people assume they're king and queen. I was quite hesitant on calling them Prometheus and Epimetheus because that's not 100% clear either, but I didn't know how else to call them by. Torch bearer & Starff wielder doesn't quite roll of the tongue compared to that SICC greek

1 minute ago, JamesBucket said:

I decided to play safe because I've never seen their junks, but I get why people assume they're king and queen. I was quite hesitant on calling them Prometheus and Epimetheus because that's not 100% clear either, but I didn't know how else to call them by. Torch bearer & Starff wielder doesn't quite roll of the tongue compared to that SICC greek

I love the video! However, in the beginning when you were explaining about the Ancients digging underground. I thought the surface didn't exist back then and it was Maxwell who created the surface, while the caves WERE the surface. I'm not too sure though and this is just what I thought I last heard

6 hours ago, maciu67 said:

You should talk with @QrChuck. He has similar video.

Mostly agree with everything in James video. My film was made a little earlier, since then we've learned a lot and because of that it's great that James refreshed the story. In my video about Gorge lore I said that Gnaw was the reason they went down to the ruins, but it's just a theory. A gAmE tHeOrY :D

Archived