Gatherer Character

On 11/20/2019 at 6:48 PM, maradyne said:

Rezecib's Rebalance had a neat solution to this in giving Maxwell Shadow Porters; minions dedicated to picking stuff up.
That's one thing that I'd really like to see in his rework; letting the shadows do menial work like that fits his premise nicely.

Would also like the whole Shadow system from that brought over, but I'll take what I can get.

Picking up items or picking grass and twigs/generally pickable things?

This thread was a ride. I guess this is what happens when I don't check for a while.

+1 for Wheeler rework. +1 for Maxwell being a kick arse gatherer. +1 for works of fiction being interpreted how you see fit. +1 for pets being useful. I'm iffy on Chester picking random stuff up, that could get annoying. I like to be organized, but if there was a way to filter it maybe... But then that becomes a bit finnicky, unless done well.

Ok, hear me out, the beta branch is called like Hook, Line, and Inker.  What if the new character was like an octopus/squid.  The character would have extra arms to say gather extra in some way. maybe x-y gatherables within a 1 tile range or x-pixel units whatever Klei wants to use. and then the person could swim some like Woodies turkey form but maybe better or less timed and more naturally.  To keep the swimming from being too over powered and abused maybe add a large hunger drain like wolfgangs. Maybe give it a certain diet limitation as a drawback, or even maybe some new mechanic like wetness where it needs to have a wetness bar otherwise it dries out and takes damage until wet again. Similar to how woodlegs functions with needing to be on the ocean or he drains sanity.  naturally it gets colder faster because of the wetness needed and dries out faster in summer when not in water.  Clearly this makes spring a wonderful season for this character.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, Sunset Skye said:

1. Singular they has been in use since the middle ages. Avoiding it because you think non-binary people don't exist is super petty, and we all know you do not care about grammar as much as you'd like to pretend you do.

2. Using "it" to refer to someone is pretty rude, and also incorrect for WX-78:

DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_2_ROBOT = ". They became a spooky ghost!"
GHOST_DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_ROBOT = "lost all of their humanity and is gone forever."
ROBOT =
        {
            ONE = "they",
            TWO = "their",
-- Character quotes for WX-78:
-- Warly
GHOST = "Excusez-moi? How is it possible they have a ghost?" 
FIRESTARTER = "They overheated, perhaps?"
-- Maxwell (note the use of Mx.)
GENERIC = "Greetings, Mx. %s."
FIRESTARTER = "Mx. %s is making good on their promises of mayhem."
--  Webber
FIRESTARTER = "Maybe they didn't know fire is dangerous to us."
-- Winona
ATTACKER = "Yeesh. They're on the fritz again."

3. The existence of non-binary people is not political.

Dude not to be rude or anything

BUT SHUT THE HECK UP!( No profanity and also family friendly ;) )  This is a forum about New characters not choosing whether a robot should be a it, he, she, they, WHATEVER just go somewhere else. No-one cares 

And seriously??? Are you seriously arugueing that WX-78 A ROBOT should be a they not an it???? IT IS A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER THAT IS A ROBOT!!!! Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Just please stop argueing in the wrong forum please. And thank you

EDIT: After reading 3 pages of rambling I made a forum about WX-78 and gender topics! SO please THIS IS THE LAST POST ABOUT IT and I want ALL of you to move THERE! THANK YOU! :wilson_facepalm:

29 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Dude not to be rude or anything

BUT SHUT THE HECK UP!( No profanity and also family friendly ;) )  This is a forum about New characters not choosing whether a robot should be a it, he, she, they, WHATEVER just go somewhere else. No-one cares 

And seriously??? Are you seriously arugueing that WX-78 A ROBOT should be a they not an it???? IT IS A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER THAT IS A ROBOT!!!! Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Just please stop argueing in the wrong forum please. And thank you

EDIT: After reading 3 pages of rambling I made a forum about WX-78 and gender topics! SO please THIS IS THE LAST POST ABOUT IT and I want ALL of you to move THERE! THANK YOU! :wilson_facepalm:

Do you not see the irony in criticizing someone for going off-topic AFTER everyone had already moved on from that particular topic?

I could point out so many holes in this particular argument, but to respect the wishes of the forum mods, I'll instead ask you to please read my posts on pages 2 and 3 of this thread and then form a cohesive counterargument in the other thread that you mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Do you not see the irony in criticizing someone for going off-topic AFTER everyone had already moved on from that particular topic?

I could point out so many holes in this particular argument, but to respect the wishes of the forum mods, I'll instead ask you to please read my posts on pages 2 and 3 of this thread and then form a cohesive counterargument in the other thread that you mentioned.

I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm saying it's stupid to argue about a game character (That is a robot) and that you should move on. 

Just now, GetRektKids said:

I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm saying it's stupid to argue about a game character (That is a robot) and that you should move on. 

And I'm saying that you're ironically derailing the thread by bringing up a topic that people had already moved on from. Again, please read my response on page 2 and 3 of this thread and then make a reply on your thread; the person you quoted is not the person who needed to "move on" since someone else was the person who derailed the topic in the first place.

Both of us want this discussion to be moved to a different thread, so again, please make a response in that other thread.

7 hours ago, maradyne said:

Picking up items off the ground. Meshes well in gameplay with his various worker shadows (especially a forest clearing shadow team).

I'm just wondering how this would work; would the shadow involuntarily pick stuff off the ground until there was nothing left on screen? What would happen if Maxwell's inventory was full? Does this shadow have its own inventory?

5 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

I'm just wondering how this would work; would the shadow involuntarily pick stuff off the ground until there was nothing left on screen? What would happen if Maxwell's inventory was full? Does this shadow have its own inventory?

Darn, just noticed the mod is on hiatus so people can't try it without potential issues lol.

Way it was done there, the Gatherer had 4 inventory slots of their own, and would pick up whatever items they saw as long as they had a slot or a stack that the items could fit into. Their inventory could be opened like Chester, so you'd just pull it all out now and then.
All of the shadows' special behaviors could be disabled and enabled with a click (they'd just idly follow when disabled), and their roles switched (giving them an Axe would change it to a Chopper, Grass Trap for Gatherer because it's a basket I guess, ect), so you had a nice level of control over your minions.

Torchbearers kept really close to Max when active and would hang back when inactive, so that one kind of functioned as the basic 'idle control' when you wanted to keep your shadows alive but didn't want them to do anything. Bunch of little parts of the system like that which supported the rest of the system.

Used to main Maxwell for a good while, and the Maxwell part of that mod is really what I'd want as a starting point for his update. So much QoL. Whatever flashy parts Klei will inevitably add to him can come after, lol.

2 hours ago, maradyne said:

Darn, just noticed the mod is on hiatus so people can't try it without potential issues lol.

Way it was done there, the Gatherer had 4 inventory slots of their own, and would pick up whatever items they saw as long as they had a slot or a stack that the items could fit into. Their inventory could be opened like Chester, so you'd just pull it all out now and then.
All of the shadows' special behaviors could be disabled and enabled with a click (they'd just idly follow when disabled), and their roles switched (giving them an Axe would change it to a Chopper, Grass Trap for Gatherer because it's a basket I guess, ect), so you had a nice level of control over your minions.

Torchbearers kept really close to Max when active and would hang back when inactive, so that one kind of functioned as the basic 'idle control' when you wanted to keep your shadows alive but didn't want them to do anything. Bunch of little parts of the system like that which supported the rest of the system.

Used to main Maxwell for a good while, and the Maxwell part of that mod is really what I'd want as a starting point for his update. So much QoL. Whatever flashy parts Klei will inevitably add to him can come after, lol.

Control over your minions' activities would be amazing; that's my biggest issue with Maxwell in general. 

I dunno how I feel about the torchbearer minion though. Eternal light on the go without taking up an equipment slot seems broken.

3 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

Control over your minions' activities would be amazing; that's my biggest issue with Maxwell in general. 

I dunno how I feel about the torchbearer minion though. Eternal light on the go without taking up an equipment slot seems broken.

Well, their torches had durability. Would run out after a while, so you'd have to keep supplying torches, on top of that being one less worker minion. I found myself still mainly using other sources of light; the torchbearer's behavior was mostly just convenient for keeping idle minions from getting yeeted, since you could give a minion a new tool whenever. They costed 5 NMF each to compensate...which isn't much, but still.

Archived