Gatherer Character

17 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

If Wurt could swim then she would've been the best gathering character and I would've bought her, but Wurt can't swim... :wilson_cry:

She sort of can? you can pick stuff on a boat (like salt or kelp) and once you get bored of it, you can just jump to the water to return to the land instantly with no penalty other than getting wet.

It works better during early autumn and summer.

5 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

With this argument, I can say that literally any disagreeable topic in the game - let alone any issue at all - is political and should be avoided like the plague.

5 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

There's a huge difference between "Here's why I think Jesus Christ and God exist" and "F*ck you atheists and all the other religions", and to put it in the context of this specific situation, there's likewise a huge difference between "WX is non-binary; here's some evidence" and "WX is non-binary, you silly little incel". The latter should be banned on the spot while the former should be open for discussion.

You complitely miss the point that this is not the place for sensitive topics and yes, the whole "gender theory" is a sensitive topic.

By the way, yes, we can and should avoid any political/religious topic because it leads to debates which are not welcome here. No, "here's why I think Christianity is the right religion" is not acceptable here either.

And of course it's always the same side that pushes more and more that ideology while we're trying to maintain things neutral, even if I am very open to debate in places meant for that.

Yes, we know that WX being a robot, he doesn't have a gender. But here's two things. In most content where a fictional character does not have a gender due to a very specific trait (aliens, robots... things like that), that character still does get a gender for representation. (neferpito f.e)
Besides, second point, in most language, neutral gender is referred as masculine. It's just he until you know.

So yeah, again, we do don't agree with your ideology. That's not the right place to push it and yell at people that they misgender a fictional robot.

EDIT: It's obviously my last post on the subject here. Anyone feel free to pm me (If PM are even a thing on Klei forums) if you want to discuss that subject. But not here.

A gatherer is cool and all, but what about a doctor character? I haven't seen anyone so far talk about that, one would be perfect DST, I know Wilson was a healer from the forge, but still. A doctor character would cool and have a lot of potential for characteristics for personality or gameplay wise '<'

Just now, HorseyTheYes said:

I guess he can be considered one, but he can only heal so many at once and only like 20 Hp, it's more of a bonus of his power, not so much as full on healer oof-

He doesn't have a limit on how many people he can heal, but the hp gets lower (it caps on 13), and by punching some moleworms and butterflies he can heal like half of everyones health, he's enough, also basing a character on a single trait is probably not a good idea.

4 minutes ago, NormalPinkerton said:

He doesn't have a limit on how many people he can heal, but the hp gets lower (it caps on 13), and by punching some moleworms and butterflies he can heal like half of everyones health, he's enough, also basing a character on a single trait is probably not a good idea.

I mean, Warly is just a cook and Woodie is a woodsman with an addition having of transforming into Canadian based animals. I know what you mean, but just having more variety is nice too, I mean klei is just doing trait specific characters but adding to them. Like Willow is an arsonist she fire traits

Webber has spider benefits

Wortox has magic based powers and yes, healing ones but that's not his entire trait, it just happens to be apart

As far as I know doesn't klei do trait based characters anyway? I know they add more to, so why can't more be added to the doctor if it exsisted

I mean hell, the medic character could just be a chest full of pierogi :p

1 minute ago, HorseyTheYes said:

[snip]

Those are more of character themes,what I mean by basing a character on a single trait, as in what they provide to the game, like Warly cooks foods, which is basically making many exlusive  items, Woodie's a woodsman but he's more of a genaralist, Willow is an arsonist, but now she farms nightmare fuel, etc.

2 hours ago, Kenjin said:

You complitely miss the point that this is not the place for sensitive topics and yes, the whole "gender theory" is a sensitive topic.

On the contrary, you completely missed the point. I'm pointing out the faulty logic of you using the "politics is too sensitive" excuse to silence someone since literally ANY argument in existence can be politically sensitive. Shipping Wickerbottom and Maxwell? Politics. Beefalo's method of reproduction? Politics. Wilba's position of power in a monarchy? Politics. I guess we should avoid talking about those too.

Also, I went back and re-read this thread, and it turns out that YOU were the one who ironically turned this into a "sensitive" convo on gender ideology. Sunset Skye was pointing out to the OP that you can use 'they' and 'them' to grammatically refer to any gender-ambiguous entity. This is factual; singular they's are a part of the English language. This had absolutely NOTHING to do with gender ideology until you brought it up with an unusual post summed up as "singular they's conflict with my beliefs on gender", even though this is literally a part of the English language.

Anyways, I've said what I wanted to say about the concept of politics; back onto the topic. I feel like buffing Warly's honey crystals to include extra gathering speed would be nice. I mean, the honey crystals are meant to buff resource-collection in general, so why not add gathering speed to it? 

Maybe I'm crazy, but what if the critter pets gathered for you. Instead of feeding them to make them shut up, feeding them would make them run around and "fetch" things for you. Or maybe just the vargling could do that, and the other pets could do other minor chores. 

Having a character based around gathering would be a little underwhelming, maybe Maxwell could get a Shadow Gatherer or something, or a Night Hand staff that could pick things up remotely.

48 minutes ago, Nolgore said:

Having a character based around gathering would be a little underwhelming, maybe Maxwell could get a Shadow Gatherer or something, or a Night Hand staff that could pick things up remotely.

This ^

I rather have a new character based on some unexplored mechanic of the game, like stealth, or mobile ranged damage, instead.

3 hours ago, Nolgore said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but what if the critter pets gathered for you. Instead of feeding them to make them shut up, feeding them would make them run around and "fetch" things for you. Or maybe just the vargling could do that, and the other pets could do other minor chores. 

Would also love this. Vargling fetching things. Doesn't have to be super fast or anything, either.
It'd kind of fit with the Mothling's level of simple utility. Not flipping the game on its head, but nice to have around.

Legit, I almost made a Vargling earlier but decided not to due to them just...not being interesting enough to counter the amount of noise they make/them occasionally getting in the way. I even have a skin for it and I think I've used it like twice.

I'm in favor of giving critters some utility, but if these critters are actually going to be useful, there should be something to balance that utility considering how easy it is to make some of them. For one, they should actually have health if they're going to be more than just an annoying cosmetic. 

Um.... sorry for having the nerve to say he/she?? Sheesh guys, this is a frickin' video game forum, I'm so sick of pathetic political arguments that many people don't give a rat's ass about. I said "he/she" in my topic to try to avoid political crap like this. Anyways, let's go back to the topic about the video game. 

On 11/22/2019 at 3:59 PM, HorseyTheYes said:

A gatherer is cool and all, but what about a doctor character? I haven't seen anyone so far talk about that, one would be perfect DST, I know Wilson was a healer from the forge, but still. A doctor character would cool and have a lot of potential for characteristics for personality or gameplay wise '<'

Wortox will probably be the closest character to a doctor that we'll get. He can fully heal a large team of characters within several seconds. Besides, even without Wortox, there's usually plenty of ways to heal.

2 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

Wortox will probably be the closest character to a doctor that we'll get. He can fully heal a large team of characters within several seconds. Besides, even without Wortox, there's usually plenty of ways to heal.

Wortox needs a healing saxophone so he can heal people with SOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUL.

While I do think gathering is a underappreciated aspect of the game in terms of better way to do it, I also think that having a entire character around it would be overkill and rather boring. My problem is that having a character be good at one thing thats very neiche and has alternatives would not make for a very good character. For example, Wolfgang is good because there is only a few true way to do combat and he effects all areas of it (besides companions), while DS Woodie can chop trees and thats about it, while he is very good at chopping there is a platitude of different ways that can be done with characters that can do more things with their power. The point I'm making is that the character will need to have a lot more smaller powers to make them more useable outside of gathering.

A gatherer character sounds 125% boring... Especially when they can just give Pigmen a new set of Animations “I Carry for Friend!”

Not Sure how they would handle this for Wortox and Webber though- Because Pigmen are always hostile toward them.

Wurt could just have Merm followers.

The next Idea would be to make the Rock Den Pets less useless by letting them carry stuff for you or perhaps help in Hunts, provide players with a small sanity gain, SOMETHING other then just being another mouth to feed. The Amount of effort required in obtaining a “Pet” Simply Ain’t worth the Payout.

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The next Idea would be to make the Rock Den Pets less useless by letting them carry stuff for you or perhaps help in Hunts, provide players with a small sanity gain, SOMETHING other then just being another mouth to feed. The Amount of effort required in obtaining a “Pet” Simply Ain’t worth the Payout

Because pets are suppose to be useless? Not to be harsh but pets irl are still just another mouth to feed and entertain, with the exception that pets irl are mortal and have more ways to interact with them. Having pets is suppose to be purely cosmetic, not to be for any actual benefit. Sure a dog can fetch and a dragon fly can....buzz?, but the main purpose of pets should always be to be cute and nothing more. Pets are the definiton of fashion over function, right behind skins.

19 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Because pets are suppose to be useless? Not to be harsh but pets irl are still just another mouth to feed and entertain, with the exception that pets irl are mortal and have more ways to interact with them. Having pets is suppose to be purely cosmetic, not to be for any actual benefit. Sure a dog can fetch and a dragon fly can....buzz?, but the main purpose of pets should always be to be cute and nothing more. Pets are the definiton of fashion over function, right behind skins.

I’m taking it you’ve never seen a Rescue dog? Not only do they carry lots of heavy equipment on their backs, but they track down people & also pull them out of snow/Ice. Pets don’t have to be cosmetic and useless.

Im sure a cat would be Excellent at Catching Birds and those new Lunar Island CarRATS. (They May look at it confused for a second... but then natural Cat instincts will take over and they will pounce!)

3 hours ago, NormalPinkerton said:

Cats get rid of rats by eating them, there are many dog breeds that have many utility purposes and most pets provide some sort of emotional support.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m taking it you’ve never seen a Rescue dog? Not only do they carry lots of heavy equipment on their backs, but they track down people & also pull them out of snow/Ice. Pets don’t have to be cosmetic and useless.

Im sure a cat would be Excellent at Catching Birds and those new Lunar Island CarRATS. (They May look at it confused for a second... but then natural Cat instincts will take over and they will pounce!)

Okay, I will admit I was a bit of a prick, but the main point is that pets irl don't serve much purpose unless specially trained, so it would make it a bit unrealistic to expect them to have these skills when they were just popped into existence. There is also the point where alot of them also wouldn't have any real use in their biology. Like I pointed out, what can a Dragonfly baby do besides maybe float and light stuff on fire, that you can't really control. What can a sheep contribute to suvival besides growing a material that has very little actual uses.  What can a baby glommer do that the original, that you had to kill, couldn't do? My problem is that these the pets in game just spontaneously appear so they can't have any special training, and thus can't logisically do much. The uses they can provide are niche enough that they can't really be worth the cost of getting them, and thats where the problematic design of them if they decide to alter them. Id they make them too strong, then they get seen for their perk rather then their design. If you make them weak, then they just go back to where they started with slight changes to playstyle. While do aplogize for undervaluing irl pets, it still silly to expect a new born pet to have the skills of a specially trained one, or to have perks that are pratically unnoticable except is very specific scenarios. The pets should stay as cosmetic items only because they fit the bill perfectly because pets are inheritingly cute, and the new borns would know no commands or the like.

Okay so pets are cute, but I can think of a million ways they can be more effective- Cuteness= Sanity boost.

Or In the case of Dragonfly babies maybe you can drop food on the ground and the baby Dragonfly can instantly cook it (Similar to how Willows Lighter can Instantly cook food)

i do not feel that this Undermines Willows Lighter, because unlike Willows Lighter you have to go out of your way to acquire a Dragonfly pet. Willow sorta just spawns with one in hand.

Archived