Gatherer Character

So, there's one more new character that's coming to DST, right? Well, whenever I try to think of a new character, I can never think of what his/her specialty would be. Every in-game mechanic I thought of was either already covered by a current character, or just not important enough to want a character that specializes in that mechanic.

But just now, I was reminded of the most tedious in-game mechanic: Gathering. I absolutely hate it. It takes forever and can require many trips between your base and the resources. Tons of resources can be mined, chopped, or killed within seconds, but there's very little solutions to the problem of gathering all those resources.

Do you guys want to see a character that will solve the tedious problem of gathering? Maybe this character can make a cheap (and faster) item somewhat similar to the lazy forager, that only he/she can use. Or maybe it can be something as simple as picking up items off the ground two or three times faster than regular.

What do you guys think?

Rezecib's Rebalance had a neat solution to this in giving Maxwell Shadow Porters; minions dedicated to picking stuff up.
That's one thing that I'd really like to see in his rework; letting the shadows do menial work like that fits his premise nicely.

Would also like the whole Shadow system from that brought over, but I'll take what I can get.

“I can’t wait for that new character that picks stuff up off the ground!”

I think rather than spending a valuable character slot with a character that just picks stuff up, there could just be a creature that does that instead. Maybe a bird that goes out seeking “useless” stuff (random twigs, grass, flint, etc), or something that destroys twiggy trees! Maybe some type of beaver?

I dunno I just don’t think it’s worth the last character slot.

23 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

his/her ... he/she

It's better to use they/them pronouns when talking about someone you don't know the gender of. Plus, this is DST, where we've already got one non-binary character (WX-78), so practicing singular they in general is a good idea.

Anyway, I don't necessarily think there should be a character themed entirely around gathering stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little bonus perk about it if it fits the character's greater theme. Like how Winona's focus isn't entirely on crafting things quickly, but it's there and noticeable when playing her.

7 minutes ago, FeagleSnorf said:

“I can’t wait for that new character that picks stuff up off the ground!”

I think rather than spending a valuable character slot with a character that just picks stuff up, there could just be a creature that does that instead. Maybe a bird that goes out seeking “useless” stuff (random twigs, grass, flint, etc), or something that destroys twiggy trees! Maybe some type of beaver?

I dunno I just don’t think it’s worth the last character slot.

I get what you're saying, and a gathering character does sound boring, but I still think it would be a highly useful and used character due how much time is needed to gather resources.

Wurt was themed on the Swamp Biome, Warly themed on Shipwrecked Wormwood Hamlet, No one really knows where Wortox comes from but anyway my point is each DLC character seems to follow a certain world theme.

and if that trend continues- the last DLC Character will be based around the Lunar Island Biome.

If they continue with the trend of giving the natural residents of constant as DLC characters, I'd like a Rock Lobster character, a perk of which may be being able to claw stuff like a sickle, cutting multiple grass and twigs at the same time, maybe even immediately getting them in his/her/its/their/our/your/thouse/dwain's inventory.

Although whether the DLC character gets such a perk or not, I'd also appreciate them adding a gatherer shadow to Maxwell in his rework and perhaps revisiting Winona and adding her a slightly faster grass/twig/bush harvesting perk.

12 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's better to use they/them pronouns when talking about someone you don't know the gender of. Plus, this is DST, where we've already got one non-binary character (WX-78), so practicing singular they in general is a good idea.

The use of they/them is strongly attached to an ideology we could not agree to though. "It" is gramatically correct in those cases (especially WX-78) and avoids any political stuff.

13 minutes ago, Kenjin said:

The use of they/them is strongly attached to an ideology we could not agree to though. "It" is gramatically correct in those cases (especially WX-78) and avoids any political stuff.

WX-78 canonically uses singular they pronouns as well as the gender neutral title Mx. Read the character interactions and flavor text referring to them. The use of singular they pronouns for WX-78 would thus be unavoidable, and the use of "It" pronouns would not be accurate to the character.

The next DLC character is going to be the last one, so maybe (but just maybe) Klei is planning something big. Like a character related to Them, or the Moon... I mean, Maxwell is the "shadow magic guy", then perhaps we'll see a "light magic guy" too (and until Wagstaff appeared, Maxwell was the last character in base DS)...

Personally, if they're not planning something like that, I'd like to see a "ranger" character with advanced ranged weapons, but actually, this fits in a Wigfrid rework too.

24 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

I do hope that the last character will be something big. I've always dreamed of Charlie as the big finale.

If Charlie gets added to the game, I guarantee you that she won't be amongst these DLC characters, she'd be a direct addition like Winona. They make sure the DLC characters aren't necessary pieces of the story but rather are like ally creatures from the wilds of the constant.

Just now, SinancoTheBest said:

If Charlie gets added to the game, I guarantee you that she won't be amongst these DLC characters, she'd be a direct addition like Winona. They make sure the DLC characters aren't necessary pieces of the story but rather are like ally creatures from the wilds of the constant.

I know, but a man can dream.

54 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Alright then. If anyone asks, I'll be dreaming about Warbucks' glorious upcoming rework in my dream corner.

5dd6b1cf36509_HesBack.jpg.be724c367217e23247292790f9e24b33.jpg

wiki update for the blunderbluss:

in ds: the blunderbluss can be crafted by everyone 

but in the character update that added wagstaff to dst, it became warbucks exclusive.

4 hours ago, Kenjin said:

1. Singular they has been in use since the middle ages. Avoiding it because you think non-binary people don't exist is super petty, and we all know you do not care about grammar as much as you'd like to pretend you do.

2. Using "it" to refer to someone is pretty rude, and also incorrect for WX-78:

DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_2_ROBOT = ". They became a spooky ghost!"
GHOST_DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_ROBOT = "lost all of their humanity and is gone forever."
ROBOT =
        {
            ONE = "they",
            TWO = "their",
-- Character quotes for WX-78:
-- Warly
GHOST = "Excusez-moi? How is it possible they have a ghost?" 
FIRESTARTER = "They overheated, perhaps?"
-- Maxwell (note the use of Mx.)
GENERIC = "Greetings, Mx. %s."
FIRESTARTER = "Mx. %s is making good on their promises of mayhem."
--  Webber
FIRESTARTER = "Maybe they didn't know fire is dangerous to us."
-- Winona
ATTACKER = "Yeesh. They're on the fritz again."

3. The existence of non-binary people is not political.

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

3. The existence of non-binary people is not political.

See, that's my problem. In a forum about a video game, you're still pushing your political agenda. And denying that.

I don't believe that's the right place to even debate that. My point is, I think you are wrong. You think I am. The best solution is to use words that are not connected to any side of that political debate. That's how we live in a society, same thing for religion. I don't know about yours, you don't know about mine, and that's perfect like this. I don't think it would be appreciated if I started to correct people about their religious beliefs on a video game forum, same here.

So, no, not gonna use they/them if "It" works and I'm not gonna use pronouns I don't believe in just because someone thinks his beliefs are in danger on a video game forum. (I'm pretty sure WX-78 doesn't mind being an "it" though).

If you do want to use those pronouns, I honestly don't care. I do care about people pushing political or religious beliefs here.

And again a random discussion about some hypothetical gatherer character deluded into... "non-binary" politics because why not. Lovely. Just what the doctor prescribed in every thread :distracted:

A quick gathering-related perk as character highlight would be imo a pretty niche thing, not really justifying the last remaining 4th spot. Better to have a more complex and interesting new addition, also maybe a re-balance of the Lazy Forager (with the forums-circulated refueling idea).

Archived