Warly's food memory and penalty should apply to all characters

Played Warly for the first time, and it's for the first time i actually feel like I`m playing a game called "Don`t Starve"

Hell, I even almost died of starvation in the 1st few days because i was far away from crockpot and lost a lot of life by the time i got back. (I haven`t had this happen in over a year).

Point is, it's really nice having to think about food sources and recipes instead of pierogi/meatballs +cooked cactus/green mushroom (jerky for Wig) and otherwise completely ignore food. 

Also imo Meatballs should at least require non-monster meat. 

Bonus this would also be a well deserved nerf for Wolfgang

Oh look, this thread again.

Warly’s food memory works because he has a portable crockpot that allows him to make high-quality meals immediately. All other characters in early game rely on a diet of carrots, berries, and meat snacks from mobs they come across. Additionally, warly has a whopping 350 hunger who’s stomach can only be compared to Wolfgang’s.

Once the base gets settled down and farms are going, people are still going to rely on a diet of meatballs and meaty stew because they are still much more efficient than most of the 37.5 hunger foods. 

There is a mod that applies the Warly modifiers and food memory penalty to other characters.

However, that mod needs a slight update b/c of how they went about doing it (they replaced player_common.lua when they didn't need to. Klei has since updated the file, thus meaning Klei's changes will not apply with the mod enabled).

I've been meaning to tell them that for a while, but it kept getting pushed off. Will probably tell them later today since this post reminded me of it.

36 minutes ago, Superlucas1231 said:

I would rather prefer if each character had their own "preference food list."

I.E.: Wicker likes fish sticks, so shes gets more starts from it. But Wicker doesn't like taffy, so she gets less stats from it

Definitely this.

I absolutely want character's to have a preferred food/s. The problem will still be that meatballs and meaty stew are still a ridiculously good cost for result food item, and the preferred foods will go unused. Giving everyone the food memory would somewhat help, but it's a very impromptu solution (though a step [somewhat] in the right direction).

I've never been fond of Warly as a character because I really do think some of his mechanics (especially spices) should have just been apart of a cooking rework, but now that he's in it's a bit awkward to pull mechanics from him (food memory) without it taking from his uniqueness.

19 hours ago, LaurelWreaths said:

Played Warly for the first time, and it's for the first time i actually feel like I`m playing a game called "Don`t Starve"

Hell, I even almost died of starvation in the 1st few days because i was far away from crockpot and lost a lot of life by the time i got back. (I haven`t had this happen in over a year).

Point is, it's really nice having to think about food sources and recipes instead of pierogi/meatballs +cooked cactus/green mushroom (jerky for Wig) and otherwise completely ignore food. 

I like the idea, I agree. Simple and effective.

16 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

- food memory for all characters has been suggested incessantly over and over for a long time, it's lame

- meatballs don't need a nerf

I find wolfgangs rushing and spamming blue mushrooms even lamer. Same for 1 monster meat 3 ice and you're done with food for the day. in a game called DON'T STARVE

16 hours ago, Sweaper said:

Suddenly meaty stew became the best food in the game.

Plus, have fun playing Wurt on the first winter with that mechanic.

You mean learn 3 or 4 veg recipes and set up a bunch of farms early on?

Same for 1 monster meat 3 ice and you're done with food for the day. in a game called DON'T STARVE

meatballs give 62.5 hunger

- punching seven butterflies gives 65.625
- picking and cooking five berries gives 62.5
- picking and cooking five cacti gives 62.5
- picking five carrots gives 62.5
- harvesting two juicy berry bushes gives 75
- harvesting a full bee box gives 56.25
- killing one beefalo gives 100
- killing one beefalo and making meaty stew (with fillers) gives 300
- making bacon and eggs (2 eggs 1 monster 0.5 meat) gives 75
- making honey ham (1 meat
1 monster 1 honey 1 filler) gives 75
- and so on

nerfing meatballs changes nothing, because spamming meatballs is merely a pub strat, just done by fairly new players

if you don't like playing the game by running around the world mining ice for meatballs, then you don't have to, the game isn't forcing you to do that

2 hours ago, LaurelWreaths said:

You mean learn 3 or 4 veg recipes and set up a bunch of farms early on?

Many people play on public servers, most stay there for around 2h-3h which is around a season, some stay for 2 seasons, very few stay for an entire year. That being said, I'm not going to waste most of the play time setting up farms every time I want to play as Wurt when I could be building a merm city or anything else that is more fun than be stuck on farm building and planting, worse is if people get your veggies to make ratatouille wasting a lot of veggies/fruits for little hunger points. Pretty fun play style wasting a season rushing farms every single time you start a game, oh and a little reminder that it's not every time that people enter on a server on day 1, many get in on day 10+ some even 20+ if they know how to survive winter with only a torch, with that mechanic you pretty much screw any chance of Wurt having enough time to setup enough farms. So learning 3/4 veg recipes isn't the problem in play here.

Oh, this also reminds me that Warly starts with a crockpot while no one else does. Imagine getting into a world and having to over eat berries, carrots, (monster) meat to compensate for the penalty, now imagine all other 7 or more people doing that same thing, wait... if people are over eating at the start it means whoever enter a server will struggle even hard with that mechanic and lack of food, now we have to change the default settings just to balance that deficit, not a problem on PC since your can put some stuff to more, but on consoles.

What about people that like to play without a base? Now they need to waste an inventory space just for charcoal to keep making crockpots whenever they need to eat and I'm sure they will hate wasting that single inventory space.

Last, if you want to play that way you already have Warly. You said you struggled with him, well next time find a bunny village and you won't have to think about what food to make or just keep getting monster meat from spiders and give them to pigs or rush a pig farm before 11. Warly can be as brain dead as Wolfgang after you figure how to get meaty stews done, there is no need to cycle through food recipes if you don't want to, just like any other character besides early game Wurt.

1 hour ago, Jessie223 said:

snip

And all of those give more health, and some more sanity.

I rarely use meatballs, mostly live off meaty stew and cactus. (or souls). Meatballs are in no way overpowered, they're just as strong as anything else.

2 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

killing one beefalo gives 100

150 hunger but your point still stands.

While I would like a favorite food for each character where they would get 33% boost for that one food item, I would not want food memory and food destain for every charcter. It works for Warly because he is a chef, his entire playstyle is built around cooking food and thus need a fownside that both fit his role and he needed to be attentive of, but it doesn't work for other charcters. Sure, having it on everyone may make the game more challenging, but it wouldn't be fun challenge it would be bulls**t challenge, or challenge just for the sake of it. It wouldn't be fun or interesting for the other characters because they aren't built around the mechanic. It would make every other character worse because they would have significantly less food options in the beginning because they can't make a verity of dishes like Warly. It would also kill the chance of Wigfrid ever getting chosen because she would constantly be eating food because she has a grand total of 3 food items she can eat in the early game (6 if the cooked versions would be different). The debuff also shouldn't apply to everyone because it makes Warly less unique. He wouldn't be this super uniqe character that forces you to constantly thinling about what meals you ate and going to eat for the sake of being able to provide good food and buffs to your teamates, and more of a guy who doesn't like to eat raw food. 

All of these ideas are awful , the game is already plenty difficult if Raid bosses and advanced items are the goal. I really don't want food to become more of a chore then it is. It is enough work to switch to Warly and prepare fresh buffed meals and bundle wrap. Klei please do not implement any of these ideas. If you all like playing with food penalties and the like , then just main Warly and leave the fun charactors alone. I played with Warly for like 50 days or so in a world. While I appreciate his abilities , for me he was so boring to play as . Could not wait to ditch him once I made a bunch of bundle wrap superfood.

19 minutes ago, FeagleSnorf said:

What do we do with monster meat than? Unless we’re Woodie or Webber it mostly just rots. And even then Webber still would get less and less benefit from his main food source.

- meatballs isn't the only recipe that can use monster meat: you can use it to save at least one meat
- four monster meat turns pigs into werepigs
- birdcage converts cooked monster meat into eggs
- etc

examples of monster meat in recipes other than meatballs:
meaty stew
    - meat, meat, monster, filler
    - meat, monster, frog, frog
bacon and eggs
    - monster, frog, egg, egg
    - monster, monster, egg, egg (50% chance)
honey ham
    - meat, monster, honey, filler
    - monster, frog, frog, honey
pierogi
    - monster, egg, veggie, filler
turkey dinner
    - drum, drum, monster, fruit/veg

Can I just remind everyone that it's a very low percentage of people who can ruins rush, get loads of food and generally beat the game with ease. Most people are "terrible" at the game and its difficult enough for them. As much as I'd love the game to be harder, it's hard enough for what seems like 90% of the player base?

On 12/11/2019 at 6:08 PM, LaurelWreaths said:

You should have fun when it comes to winter

And you can never spam pỉeogies again when you are 1 hp

Warly Can’t eat food not from Crock Pot, multiply it by a high rate of loss of satiety, multiply it by a penalty for eating repeated dishes ... Now Warly (for me) is also broken like Winona and Woody in the first days of their updates. How many complaints were there about updating Winona and Woody, but only a few people said this about Warly. Why? The character has a huge flaw, and the benefits of his advantages appear only in the late game.

4 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

Warly Can’t eat food not from Crock Pot, multiply it by a high rate of loss of satiety, multiply it by a penalty for eating repeated dishes ... Now Warly (for me) is also broken like Winona and Woody in the first days of their updates. How many complaints were there about updating Winona and Woody, but only a few people said this about Warly. Why? The character has a huge flaw, and the benefits of his advantages appear only in the late game.

Strongly disagree.  Firstly, Warly's hunger loss is very manageable (less than normal form wolfgang, and he has a massive stomach) and his unique recipes are very strong.  His benefits should start immediately and grow substantially as you establish farms and get more spices.  Having day 1 access to a crockpot is a powerful tool and you should easily be able to create meatballs to sustain hunger, trail mix and pierogi to restore health, and sanity can be regained by taffy.  (maybe sleeping if you're desperate).

Either way, Warly as he exists currently is strong and versatile even with his downside.

Archived