Why each character is here

You ever wonder why we're here?

My bet is that every character has a reason that they specifically were taken here, and not just because they bought Wagstaff's inventions. Some characters have a personal connection to Maxwell/Charlie/Wagstaff, but others... not so much.

Wilson: 

Willow: 

This is an interesting one. We saw in "From the Ashes" that a terrorbeak tried to kill her as a child, probably before Maxwell even had the book. She also has Bernie, seemingly the only thing They fear. No idea what They want with Willow, or why her toy bear is/is possessed by some powerful magic entity.

Wolfgang:

Wolfgang was in the circus that caused the train crash, in which Maxwell found the Codex Umbra. My guess is that if the Codex belonged to the circus, maybe Wolfgang knew something about it.

Wendy: 

She was related to Maxwell, and given the scratches on every photo of William, I would assume They wanted to tie up any loose ends. Alternativly, whatever Abigail's flower is could have something to do with things.

WX-78: 

My guess is that this was a mistake. I think WX was just a test, thrown into the portal because his morality module or something was broken. Wagstaff never thought he'd see him again, so I'd say he was the crash test dummy.

Wickerbottom:

We have very little to go off of, but we do know she's magicly inclined. They could have targeted her because of what she knew.

Woodie:

Wes:

Because he secretly knows what They're planning and how to stop them.

Maxwell:

Wagstaff:

Wigfrid:

Maybe in a past role, Wigfrid knew Charlie? They both were in show business, so they may have met.

Webber:

I think Webber was another accident. I don't think that someone like him would have been able to build the portal. My guess is that he found someone else's portal some how. It would be pretty cool to see Webber's father or someone close to him build a portal, only for their small child/relative to stumble in.

Winona:

While she does have a direct connection to Charlie, she wasn't chosen to build the portal. She was never tricked by Maxwell. Winona was a variable They forgot to take into account. 

Warly:

Not much to goo  off of, but I have an idea with little evidence. Warly was a worker on a ship of some kind, so what if he was on the RMS Celtic with Maxwell? Perhaps he had some influence over Maxwell decision to become a magician?

Wortox:

Wormwood:

Wurt:

Pugna:

Skin trader:

Lot's of people think he's Jack. Not really anything else to say.

35 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

Webber:

I think Webber was another accident. I don't think that someone like him would have been able to build the portal. My guess is that he found someone else's portal some how. It would be pretty cool to see Webber's father or someone close to him build a portal, only for their small child/relative to stumble in.

Apon inspecting Maxwell Webber says "That jerk tricked us."

I'm guessing Wilson was taken because They belived he has some connection with Wagstaff.

both are Scientists with fantastic hair, and Wilson owns one of the few models of the Voxola PR-76 model radios, one of the few units built and shiped by the factory before it burnt down the night he and Charlie where taken.

2 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Don’t all the scattered dead bodies imply that the characters are just toys that were lucky enough to have survived?

Pretty sure those are past incarnations of the player characters, it is cannon that they die and come back a lot. 

Personally, I just think a handful of them were tricked by Maxwell, just as Wilson was, purely for his own amusement. So much time on a throne must be boring. There are some exceptions to this, of course, such as Winona, Wagstaff and (presumably) WX-78, who all entered on their own accord and/or weren't tricked by Maxwell. 

The shorts don't really answer any of the questions we've had regarding how they got in the Constant, excluding Wilson's and Winona's. Personally, a headcanon I've always had is that Wolfgang, Wes and Wilbur were all different acts in the travelling circus that William was near when he got the Codex. They were there at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

1 hour ago, TheMelonNinja said:

The shorts don't really answer any of the questions we've had regarding how they got in the Constant, excluding Wilson's and Winona's. Personally, a headcanon I've always had is that Wolfgang, Wes and Wilbur were all different acts in the travelling circus that William was near when he got the Codex. They were there at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

I agree that Wilbur was probably in the circus with Wolfgang, but I doubt Wes was there. One of the articles in Next of Kin was about a fire at a french art exhibit or something, and Wes is the only French character.

13 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

Wes is the only French character.

Is he French? I mean, he never talks, so we don't know what language he speaks,or almost anything else about him, for that matter.

The only character who actually speaks French seems to be Warly. And even then, that doesn't mean he's from France. I think I read somewhere that there's reason to believe he's from New Calidonia, though I don't know exactly what information suggests that.

1 hour ago, TheMelonNinja said:

Personally, I just think a handful of them were tricked by Maxwell, just as Wilson was, purely for his own amusement. So much time on a throne must be boring.

This is pretty much what I was going to say about the whole thing. I think there's a strong implication that almost everyone who was transported to the Don't Starve world was kidnapped by Maxwell just because he was bored and wanted more pawns to amuse him. And they keep dying, so he has to keep getting more.

I think the real question is: exactly how did Maxwell trick each person into building/activating a portal device to kidnap them to that world? The only one we know for sure is Wilson, who was offered "secret knowledge."

5 hours ago, Mooagain said:

While she does have a direct connection to Charlie, she wasn't chosen to build the portal. She was never tricked by Maxwell. Winona was a variable They forgot to take into account. 

Huh, I like this. It kind of meshes with her quotes making her seem like the only survivor close to taking things seriously, haha.
Wagstaff is a similar case in his own way; someone that They knew about, but still someone who wanted to be there.
But looking at those two, and then the rest of the cast...
Most of them are misfits who seem like they would never really pose a threat. And other than presumably Warly, all those in DST got something that they wanted, and...might not have solid reasons to leave, once they're comfortable.

I think that They were dormant for a long time since the fall of the Ancients.
Some person in the 'real' world does research, writes the Codex in a crazed frenzy, vanishes. Who know what happened to that person.
The book acts as a link.
Maxwell's careless use of the Shadows opens a pathway to pull him through.

From there, it's a process of awakening. Using their new puppet to explore this strange new world that's been opened to Them. Opening new paths, maybe even reactivating some dormant portal like those between the Forge and the Elder Bog; we've seen that Clockworks and Shadows are present in the 'real' world.
Eventually encouraging their puppet to pull in new toys with whispers of the possibility of escaping Their grasp. Not in earnest, he'll still be trapped in the Constant, but...that seems to be how They work in general.
Promises and gifts, but always with a catch afterward.

Wilson: You've worked so hard, but noone truly values your efforts.
We can make that happen.
Catch: Well, you're certain to value your own efforts to survive...

Willow: An outcast rejected by the world. Thought to be a madwoman.
We can take you somewhere away from all of that!

Wolfgang: Oh, all of your comrades are gone. Left alone in a cruel world.
Well, come a little closer. There are plenty of new friends for you here...
you'll float too

Wendy: You want your sister to return to life. Simple enough.
In our world, at least...

That one's interesting, because it leaves me wondering if Abi's ghost could actually exist in the 'real' world longer than briefly.
Even if Wendy at some point is able to leave...can Abigail?
And with that realization, would Wendy still leave?
And after that, it's a domino effect, probably starting with Webber. The survivors have all been through a lot together. And almost all of them got something from coming here that might not be so obvious at first.
Would they really leave it all behind, split up, and forget it all? Could they?

WX-78: Not so sure about WX due to it being a robot, but...it's entirely possible that the 'Empathy Module Not Responding' bit is due to Their tampering as WX entered the world.
Which is a self fulfilling wish: an egomaniacal robot gets its own world to bludgeon into submission.

Wickerbottom: Aging, her extensive knowledge slowly slipping away, her physical capabilities withering, when she clearly has yet to give up on life.
Simply going to the Constant is a solution to her problems.

Woodie: this game needs a funno goose man hahaa wheeze

Wes: . . . What, you think he would speak up on this?

Maxwell: The gift was his time of success in the real world. The success he could never have on his own.
Then it was time to pay up.

Wigfrid: I kind of think that the gift to her was her acting 'skills'. Literally 'becoming her role'.
Then, of course, They had to give the greatest actor the greatest stage...

Webber: itsatrap.jpg Really though, we know that somehow, he thinks Maxwell tricked him.
This could be another case like Willow. They create a problem (Webber becoming a spider freak), and then They offer a solution (Well, we know a place with plenty of friends who will accept you as one of their own!).

Charlie: Well, what act would be complete without the lovely assistant?

I'd honestly prefer if there was no overarching reason for each person's abduction. I'd rather they each made a deal with the devil and ended up facing the consequences. Maybe, there could be connection between everyone as some sort of cosmic joke.

Also, did Maxwell get to pick his targets?

The corpses that are around in the world I always thought they were spectators of the Maxwell's show in 1906 in San Francisco, just a few minutes before the earthquake.

No, I do not think at all that cyclical death is canonical, it would remove the meaning of the word "survivors". Let's call them "Eternalnauts" then.

Webber's quotes give some possible insight into his arrival in the constant. Examinations of the Alchemy Engine imply that his father may have been a scientist (Father used to work on something like that), and his examination of Maxwell (That jerk tricked us)/his statues (That's the guy who said he could help us.) implies that he was tricked into coming to the Constant to get help (possibly for his getting eaten by a Spider affliction). It's possible that Webber's dad was dabbling in similar schools of science/magic as Wilson, only Webber may have been the one ensnared by Maxwell instead. In this case, Webber not being allowed in his father's study (examination of Cartography desk) may have been a more serious rule than in the average household.

Of course, it's not clear whether Webber was spiderfied before or after entering the constant, but it seems unlikely to have happened in the real world, but it's not entirely impossible. Also, Webber makes a lot of allusions to his family being farmers (or at least his family kept goats), though his father wore Top Hats, which doesn't seem very goat herder-y.  I guess I have no idea.

I wish the hatred Maxwell has/had for Wes was more explained or fleshed out.
Why DID he kidnap WES specifically, out of all of them? What was so intolerable about Wes that he felt the need to imprison him? Did he do something? 
All I know is that there's like... one quote about it in the base game.

image.png.c36a4797dd09b6267776313f04d211df.png

None of his quotes for Wes seem to give any insight or mention of this at all.

image.png.5b5c674a0c31cf21c8c69840c1eaf046.png

This is why I honestly am really hoping for a rework of Wes. Not for memes or anything, but because-- well, I want him to be someone people can actually PLAY as (without horrible, HORRIBLE consequences from other players), and also I want to know just what this is about.

I know he most likely was in the entertainment business, perhaps in the same place and time as Maxwell, but so was Wolfgang, supposedly. Wolfgang is... much more of a threat, at least in terms of brute strength. So why Wes?? Is he more intelligent? Is there some deeper magical aspect to his pantomimes we don't know? Maybe that could be explored in his rework...

Wes is someone we truly have no insight on. We can't look into his quotes for droplets of lore, because... he has none. As far as we know him, both lorewise and in-game, he's just a regular mime. No special powers, nothing. He's a mime and he blows balloons.
I desperately hope Wes' short, when it comes, has some answers. It can't simply be a silly little animation, even with his reputation.

He may legitimately have some crucial part in this lore. And we may NEVER know! 

What are his ties to Maxwell? 

inb4 it's just because Maxwell doesn't like mimes or something silly like that

3 hours ago, Nolgore said:

Webber's quotes give some possible insight into his arrival in the constant. Examinations of the Alchemy Engine imply that his father may have been a scientist (Father used to work on something like that), and his examination of Maxwell (That jerk tricked us)/his statues (That's the guy who said he could help us.) implies that he was tricked into coming to the Constant to get help (possibly for his getting eaten by a Spider affliction). It's possible that Webber's dad was dabbling in similar schools of science/magic as Wilson, only Webber may have been the one ensnared by Maxwell instead. In this case, Webber not being allowed in his father's study (examination of Cartography desk) may have been a more serious rule than in the average household.

Of course, it's not clear whether Webber was spiderfied before or after entering the constant, but it seems unlikely to have happened in the real world, but it's not entirely impossible. Also, Webber makes a lot of allusions to his family being farmers (or at least his family kept goats), though his father wore Top Hats, which doesn't seem very goat herder-y.  I guess I have no idea.

It's possible the "us" in "That jerk tricked us" is Webber and his dad, who built the machine together. Webber, however, was the only one sucked in.

Archived