How is everyone enjoying Wurt? (If you have her)

Me and my gf are on day 210 or something and I started thinking that I should gift her a Wurt, and spool one for myself and that we should have a new world where we both are Wurts and create a Merm village! But I don't like how the new characters are a price to pay (who does?) so I wanted to get some opinions on her, since she is seems to be a different type of character. (living in the swamp when normally the swamp is terrible, and friends with Merms? enemies for years!)

Is she worth it or did you guys get bored pretty quick of her playstyle or anything? did you find some big cons with her and how her merm village works? Is she super cools? Share your opinions :) 

I've played Wurt on the release in a solo game and it's was a very unique character ! Here's a thread on her if you really wanna know everything about Wurt's gameplay btw :wilson_wink:

But when I'm on multiplayer I'm usually picking my mains (Maxwell / Wortox) and let someone else be the Wurt, and believe me, it's quite a noticeable impact on the world. While everyone can be gathering various resources for building a cool base and items for coming up seasons... Wurt should focus on the Merm King project that require some farming for Merm Houses and Flort-ification (for guards), which take some time, for getting fish and all the stuff like kelp in the sea, and when it's done, you have now a Merm Village that can be very rewarding !

Merms can be used for foraging cause they cut trees and mine pretty well and are powerful fighter, so you can easily do high-risk boss like Bee Queen on a early game, and it's just one of the various aspect of that character : big investment = big rewards

Also, she can be very good with multiple players with the agriculture playstyle team. The Merm King is a very easy way to farm crops since it can gives seeds for fish ! If you like to play Wormwood, and you play with some friends, a Warly and Wickerbottom will make the trick, so Wurt can be very productive and well feed since the vegan perk can a disadvantage alone. That's one of my favourite experience of the game so far.

And you don't especially need to be in a swamp :) The speed boost is nice but I can agree this biome is not very charming to other players, all you need is turfs, and she can craft them ! So no need to worry about this

On 11/9/2019 at 8:34 PM, Donko said:

But I don't like how the new characters are a price to pay (who does?)

I'm guessing this is rhetorical, but I do like that they're paid DLC (if you don't weave them).

I've got plenty of spool where I can totally weave them, but I buy them anyway because the paid character/skin packs are (essentially/supposedly) what's funding free updates like Return of Them.

As far as enjoyment of Wurt's character themselves, I'm incredibly biased because I adore fish. So it's plenty positive from me.

2 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I'm guessing this is rhetorical, but I do like that they're paid DLC (if you don't weave them).

I've got plenty of spool where I can totally weave them, but I buy them anyway because the paid character/skin packs are (essentially/supposedly) what's funding free updates like Return of Them.

As far as enjoyment of Wurt's Wurt's character themselves, I'm incredibly biased because I adore fish. So it's plenty positive from me.

Yeah but dont you think the skins are enough? I mean the skins probably sell well, I just don't agree with selling characters. But thats just my opinion.

Update though, I bought Wurt for my GF and spooled her for myself! thanks for the input peoples, im excited to play our new world!

I've played a little bit of Wurt solo.  She excells at resource gathering where the merms can both chop and mine, and work throughout the day / night cycle.  They also work for seeds which are plentiful early game so getting a big base set up isn't that difficult.

One struggle I ran into was adjusting to her diet.  I'm used to using perogies as healing items, but those are off limits for her.  Instead you'll want to target the Birchnut trees and start a berry farm.  These are the crucial ingredients to Trail Mix which can heal you up in a fight.

I don't think you'd both have to be wurt since merms don't aggro once you get the king set up.  Also you don't have to live in the swamp, just scoop up the terf and use it as easy roads.

I wish she could catch a pet fish alive and she didn't care about wet items' sanity loss.

Also for some really weird reason she's pretty friendly with frogs even tho they're agressive towards her and other merms.

Screenshot_910.png.5ab190890cb81af9e96d39ec3f76873f.png

Now it makes me wonder if they're supposed to attack merms.

Wurt's biggest obstacles are summoning the merm king, and surviving the first winter, in my opinion. If you prepare well for the first winter and manage to complete the king's tapestry, it becomes easier.

I survived the first winter becuse I stockpiled berries in a fridge and then started making fistfull of jams with one berry and 3 ice. And I also found the blue mushroom biome so whenever I needed some healing I just gathered 15-20 mushrooms. But I'm sure there are better ways.

I’ve played her non-stop until recently and have to say she’s probably not my cup of tea. She takes too much time and effort to make a Merm King for not much benefit and her downsides are probably the most annoying out of all the survivors. While it’s only slightly harder to survive on a vegetarian only diet compared to Wig’s meat only one and isn’t really an issue for me, I hate that it kinda discourages me from fighting since I end up with a lot of useless meat that I can’t even trade for gold due to her other downside. Seems like the character needs to rely on teammates a bit more to reach her full potential which doesn’t fit my solo, nomadic play style.

5 hours ago, SnowfairyX said:

I’ve played her non-stop until recently and have to say she’s probably not my cup of tea. She takes too much time and effort to make a Merm King for not much benefit and her downsides are probably the most annoying out of all the survivors. While it’s only slightly harder to survive on a vegetarian only diet compared to Wig’s meat only one and isn’t really an issue for me, I hate that it kinda discourages me from fighting since I end up with a lot of useless meat that I can’t even trade for gold due to her other downside. Seems like the character needs to rely on teammates a bit more to reach her full potential which doesn’t fit my solo, nomadic play style.

Making Merm King isn't that time consuming, you can do it in 7 or more days in a solo world. Breaking pig houses will cut a lot of time to get your boat going while giving you the necessary pig skins. If you find the grass biome with beefalo you should get 2 stacks of grass there while you wait for the night to harvest their wool, you'll use most of those grass by the time you finish your Merm King. Fish is easy to get, you'll only need 4 silks for that and some twigs, get 2-3 fishes in a lake then move to another so you don't need to wait too long for each fish. Now, the kelp is the only slow thing that can take up a lot of time if you're unlucky on not finding them in a small circle of kelps where you can easily get 10 and wait for a few days to get the rest or if can't find the Lunar Island, but one good thing is you can get those in winter too (make sure you have a fire pit on your boat), so you should leave the kelp for last.

That being said, I wouldn't rush Merm King early game after her hotfix (the one that removed her needs to eat), you'll need to feed him too often for my liking (i.e. less time doing stuff you want to do) with the only benefit being higher stats, access to Guards and friendly AI towards other players. And this is true specially on public servers, in there you can use the lack of friendly AI of the merms to protect your food supply for winter, aka Stone fruits, or if you don't know how to find the Island then maybe even protect cactus, berry bushes and/or the entrance for a bunny village (sorry to everyone playing with me, gotta make sure I know I'll have at least one food supply during Winter). Since OP is on a 2 player server that is on day 200+, don't think he will need to keep this in mind though.

I consider her a failure. Wurt’s problem is that kelp fronds are extremely annoying to collect, and the reward for jumping through that hoop is an inferior and redundant Pig house.

Pig houses give food, armor, weapons, and rain protection, while Merms just give food and rain protection. 

Players don’t even select Wurt in pubs any more.

Better merm king drops, more tentacle spot uses, and removing kelp fronds might redeem her.

Just now, GenomeSquirrel said:

I consider her a failure. Wurt’s problem is that kelp fronds are extremely annoying to collect, and the reward for jumping through that hoop is an inferior and redundant Pig house.

Pig houses give food, armor, weapons, and rain protection, while Merms just give food and rain protection. 

Better merm king drops, more tentacle spot uses, and removing kelp fronds might redeem her.

Yep! Wurt needs too much setup and merm king is bad, merms are bad, merm king buffs are bad, I have her but I never ever play her

17 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Wurt is never seen in pubs because:

1. Most people in pubs are mediocre.

2. Wurt usually takes around 10-15 days to fully set-up merm-king alone, while most pubs start to die down around day 30.

26 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Wurt is never seen in pubs because:

1. Most people in pubs are mediocre.

2. Wurt usually takes around 10-15 days to fully set-up merm-king alone, while must pubs start to die down around day 30.

I consider point 2 damning, but OP’s opinion might be different.

10 hours ago, SnowfairyX said:

I end up with a lot of useless meat

If you turn the meat into eggs, you have a huge supply of filler.

1 carrot/mushroom/other vegetable + 3 eggs = Ratatouille

1 berry/other fruit + 3 eggs = Fistful of Jam

Wurt doesn't mind the eggs when they're cooked into a vegetarian dish. Maybe she's just one of those kids that doesn't like certain foods if they still look like themselves, but doesn't mind if they're mixed into something they like.

Kind of like Wigfrid being able to eat vegetables as long as they've been cooked into a meat dish in the crock pot.

She is awesome in solo play or in a world where everyone is Wurt. Playing her really made me feel like I was playing a big update of the game. Living in the swamp, surrounded by merm guards, having a whole different way of getting food, having to tend to the king to keep those big stat boosts...  it all gave DST a whole different feel that I can't get with any other character.

She doesn't team up well with the other characters though, and I do see people who try to play her like that feeling underwhelmed, since they can't have their base in the swamp, or have Merm friends all around the base.

PS: I rage quit playing Wurt when I was fighting Bee Queen. The Merms stopped fighting with me after a while and then I accidentally clicked one of them, which made me attack it, which made them all gang up on me immediately. Currently playing Shipwrecked.

2 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Merms come out of their houses in the caves, and don't have a sleep cycle. That makes them better in the caves than Pigs, Bunnies and even Rock Lobsters. They also help you solo Bee Queen and Toad.

Also because of merms I could finally get rid of tooth trap fields, which I hated having to reset every handful of days. Instead, when there is a hound wave coming I just give a seed to one merm guard (which will always be available day or night), and let the Merms help me with the hounds. I also get more wood in the early game than I ever could (including as Maxwell or Woodie), since, unlike pigs, Merms helping me chop down forests not only will not run home at dusk, but will actually not be decimated by tree guards. If they do (they don't) I just have to wait 4 minutes instead of the 4 days until I can resume the forest chopping with them.

So you can have all those benefits from merms + the ability of making a pig farm, which will still give you the food + armor. Also the stat boosts.

I do still wish Merm guards had better combat AI, such as having auto aggro on hounds and the Bee Queen, and that the merm king didn't get hungry so fast, though, cause those things are just kinda annoying.

Wurt supplies new gameplay options, which is super nice. Would definitely suggest giving it a try.

I suggest setting up a Merm village next to a Reed Trap set-piece if you ever get the chance.
Early game small investment for a constant, automatic increase in expansion supplies and meat/froglegs that can be turned into eggs for filler. Occasionally go farm a shroom forest to stock up for the one required veggie.
Downside = forgotten.

Works very well with other players, especially a Wicker. Swamp base and regular base can trade for items that the other doesn't have as ready of access too, including vegetables early game while you focus on the Merms.
Gather up Reeds, throw them and all the free Tentacle Spots/Spikes into a chest, get Wicker to replenish the Tentacle field now and then and leave behind some Tentacle books for easy sanity.
And yea, ask for/go grab gold when appropriate. Give and take. Everyone has a role. Those Fish ain't free.

Solo she's locked out of a couple gameplay options, but as part of a group or with a merm outpost trading with other players, she has silly amounts of character synergy.

I don't agree she's a failure, but as was pointed out before I can see why she is not a Public server friendly character, since in that kind of "free for all" setting where most players are struggling to eat, work disorganized, steal from eachother, and most of them will leave as soon as winter hits, she has absolutely nothing going for her. As a matter of fact she may be the worst for that environment, since even by rushing a swamp base, probably by the time you got to set up 6 merm houses and start the king's tapestry, griefers will find your base and burn everything up.

Wurt shines if you play with friends, family, or just people that you know that plays at about the same level of yours or better, and you can coordinate a long term strategy.

If you are going to just jump into a public and try to help them survive for a couple of days then yeah, go any character that has nomadic advantages.

Some people like to use other mobs to do their job, this behavior is for some reason is frown upon most DST community and saw as cheesing. I think Wurt is the example that the devs don't thing the same way and encourage anyone who wants to play like that, by releasing her. However many of the points raised I completely agree with: She's not for nomadic playstyle, she's only a long term or late game character, and she requires a lot of worlbuilding to see some advantages.

If you do take your time you can however set up marsh roads everywhere on the map faster and cheaper than by cobblestone, giving you fast access everywhere and arenas that boost your speed permanently. She can also gather food for other players, and farm all resources faster. And she has better stats, and higher DPS than most characters. It just takes a long time....

1 hour ago, sinisterrkid said:

Merms come out of their houses in the caves, and don't have a sleep cycle. That makes them better in the caves than Pigs, Bunnies and even Rock Lobsters. They also help you solo Bee Queen and Toad.

Also because of merms I could finally get rid of tooth trap fields, which I hated having to reset every handful of days. Instead, when there is a hound wave coming I just give a seed to one merm guard (which will always be available day or night), and let the Merms help me with the hounds. I also get more wood in the early game than I ever could (including as Maxwell or Woodie), since, unlike pigs, Merms helping me chop down forests not only will not run home at dusk, but will actually not be decimated by tree guards. If they do (they don't) I just have to wait 4 minutes instead of the 4 days until I can resume the forest chopping with them.

So you can have all those benefits from merms + the ability of making a pig farm, which will still give you the food + armor. Also the stat boosts.

I do still wish Merm guards had better combat AI, such as having auto aggro on hounds and the Bee Queen, and that the merm king didn't get hungry so fast, though, cause those things are just kinda annoying.

2x Lure plants +1 flingo solves all your hound problems for the entire game.

There is no need for tooth traps.

Regarding Wurt,

I find her underwhelming, her selling feature, Merms, feel lackluster, incomplete and not standing out compared to other NPCs available in the game for hire. Without functioning Merms, she has nothing that is really going for her.

Her diet Simplicity makes the game less interesting, once you set up your farms and get your durian/pumpkin growing, you don't need anything else, food is grown automatically at your base.

21 minutes ago, Steve Raptor said:

Her diet Simplicity makes the game less interesting, once you set up your farms and get your durian/pumpkin growing, you don't need anything else, food is grown automatically at your base.

Doesn't that apply to everyone else too? Except Wigfrid of course.

I do agree that without merms she has not that much going for her. But hey, Webber without spiders has nothing going either, and spiders are comparatively much worse in terms of what they can do.

Archived