• other
  2. 2. why do you rollback?

• because i die
    • because i did something wrong
    • because something really unfair happened
    • because of greifers
    • i dont know / i dont want to answer
    • other (comment)
    • because me and my teammates where about to pick characters, and then someone enters the world before we agreed on which characters to be
    • i dont rollback

When ever I play solo, I usually never reroll. Mostly because I forget its even an option half the time.

But when playing with a group, its usually with public players, so its very often that some players will mess up the base, which is when we vote to reroll to fix that

Generally, the only time I'll try to reroll the world is if it's just...horribly generated. Game won't be much fun if even moving around between points of interest feels like a chore.

Well, and Starving Floor rerolls if the start of the game is an unsalvageable clown fiesta. I mean, I've gone through multiple waves as a lone mage on hard mode...but there are some situations you just don't come back from.

I'm that thief in Skyrim which quick saves before picking your pocket and if I fail that 1% chance I quick load and repeat till success.. so yes I reroll a lot... I'm not a n-noob, it's just instinct... yeah!

If by "reroll" you mean "rollback," I've done it exactly once, when there was frog rain, and coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally, given the number of frogs that appeared) the lag suddenly grew so terrible that the game rubberbanded me and my friend back into the middle of the frogs a good ten or fifteen seconds after we ran far away from them, and we died because of that. We agreed that this was completely unfair, so we rolled back to the last save, which was fortunately not too long ago, but long enough ago that we could avoid the same thing happening again.

So, I chose "other" for the first question, because there was no "just once" option. ^o^;>

...if this topic meant rollbacks
yea uh
I like challenge but if something happens that would make the world unenjoyable to continue I'll totally save-scum lmao
gotten really good at preventing that, but still

when I was younger I'd reset the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh game any time I was about to lose just to see if a perfect record would do anything
it didn't

I'll only ever roll back griefer. This ain't dark souls where griefers only make you lose 5 minutes of progress. Seeing 40 drying racks, or your 80+ chests go up in smoke because of some snot nosed brat is having a bad day is a fine use for roll back

As for solo in game, only time I've ever had to roll back was during spring, frog rain vs 40 bunnies, with about 1000+ logs on the floor since I was farming for trees...... yeah that was pretty bad. I had like 10 fps. This was ps4 btw, where the game already kind of doesn't exactly perform well on high day count worlds.

I rarely rollback, but when I do there's usually multiple things gone really wrong. Like we could be fighting some boss and then come hounds and frograin and every single annoying little thing that's easily managed on it's own but catastrophic when all stacked up, resulting to everyone dying and when we return to camp we notice everything's ruined cuz some newb didn't know you shoud run when antlion comes. Anyway I do it if trying to overcome all the disasters the legit way would take hours of unfun struggling that most likely will just continue the catastrophe streak we've had so far .

And then there's griefers. I don't even know why people bother to grief on self-hosted servers... Although once we had a Wortox troll with style. Some random player recognized them and told everyone they've griefed before. We kept a close eye on them but didn't want to kick a player who haven't done anything wrong on our server. After a while the troll disconnected and everything seemed fine, but it turned out they had moved every single item in chests into a wrong place without us noticing. Can't even be mad at them cuz it's exactly the thing Wortox would have found hilarious. No rollbacks that time. :'D

I've reached a point where I just want to enjoy my worlds, so If I loose something I enjoy non-renewable and I can only bring it back with a rollback or just commands, I will rollback, it's only a personal enjoyment and not a challenge to play this game let's be fair with ourselves. ^^

Not only do I roll back whenever I want, but I also back up save my world every 100 days to the PS+ cloud storage or a USB drive. Even if I don't catch someone burning a town down within those 5 days I know I can always go back to the most recent Autumn. 

I don't have all that much time to play these days so maximizing my productivity during my play time is always the goal. If a rollback will ultimately save me time or resources I just do that.

We also don't have a way to pause so I can spend as much time as I want looking at the map or running around to concoct my next project then just roll it back. I can also play around with a few base designs before committing to to it. 

If I have other people in the world I'll do everything I can to NOT rollback though unless there's some seriously major catastrophe. 

I do use rollback, when I reach a point of no return and I'm going to lose the world. If I die by shenanigans or things get broken, its fine, I just rebuild or revive. But losing the entire world, if I'm advanced enough, is a nono for me.

Same as @NSAiswatchingus I don't have much time to play, and once Im in a confortable spot of progress in, lets say day 300, and a bunch of things make me die over and over to the point where I cant resurrect anymore, I then just use rollback. Starting from scratch would take me real life months to go back where I was, given I play for short periods of time now unfortuntely.

40 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Because of random idiots who don't bother to leave the base when giant or antlion attack is about to happen.

this can be prepared for. Antlion should be killed before he makes any attack.

Newbies should be advised of any upcoming boss. you also can stick with them to take the boss aggro after it spawns. In the worse case scenario, prepare a teleport staff

3 minutes ago, blizstorm said:

prepare a teleport staff

Legit, used to do this all the time in DST's earlier days. Rush Teleport Staff before someone used up the few available gems, because it was guaranteed that at least one person (if not 3) would sit in base while Deerclopse roared no matter how many times you asked them to move or told them why. And then try to fight it long enough to get base destroyed, only to flee in terror after being hit once.

...honestly that hasn't changed much in the time passed, but there are a lot less people who actually play during Winter now, so it's been more manageable, haha.

11 hours ago, Mrklli said:

Although once we had a Wortox troll with style. Some random player recognized them and told everyone they've griefed before. We kept a close eye on them but didn't want to kick a player who haven't done anything wrong on our server. After a while the troll disconnected and everything seemed fine, but it turned out they had moved every single item in chests into a wrong place without us noticing. Can't even be mad at them cuz it's exactly the thing Wortox would have found hilarious.

...the absolute madlad.

soyousay.png.05776c9f722aafebc2f89783d17baccd.png

I feel I should be embarrassed at how often I rollback. On my megabase world, I'm hardly ever prepared for hounds because I'm working on something and my inventory's full. I rollback a lot for bosses, too. Sometimes I'm just horrible at fighting them. That or I'm just frickin' laggy.

Archived