Why do people think Wolfgang is stupid?

I think people think Wolfgang is stupid not just because his English is poor, though that's certainly part of it.

I think it's also the things he chooses to talk about and point out. (Salt Lick - "Heh heh. Hair cow has funny tongue!")

And the way he seems to approach most problems either by being afraid (Booster Shot - "EeeeEEeeEEE!!") or by wanting to punch whatever it is. (Polar Light - "Is cold! Wolfgang will punch!")

He's easily amused by many things in a way that suggests he is probably simple and childlike. (Whirly Fan - "It's so twirly when I run! Haha!")

And he makes ridiculous assumptions at times. (BERNIE! - "Oh no! Wolfgang has shrunken!")

And he does seem to have an aversion to the science stuff in the game, apparently because it's too hard for him to understand it. (Mad Scientist Lab - "Is making Wolfgang brain hurt.")

There are many more examples than the ones I listed just now, too.

I think that Wolfgang's childlike simpleness is part of what makes him endearing. Plus, he's a really strong guy who has a really big heart and wants to protect all of his new friends with his mighty muscles, and fortunately he doesn't need to be super smart to be able to do that.

1 hour ago, hl3bekliyenadam said:

He uses third person singular conjugation of verb for all subjects including HIMSELF FFS. How could anyone explain this with a broken English. Was the Hulk foreigner too? No, it’s just a stereotype for muscular and stupid people. I still love him tho. He is too precious for the constant even tho he can kill solo dfly with bare hands.

TF2's Heavy also refers to himself in third person and yet he canonically has a PhD in Russian Literature. The way Wolfgang (and Heavy) talks is also a stereotype of foreigners with broken English, not just dumb people. Wolfgang could very well sound much 'smarter' in the comfort of his national language. 

The Hulk is, lore-wise, technically considered a separate character to Banner and speaks in a simple manner because he is essentially a child throwing a temper tantrum during Banner's first transformations. As the years have gone on and Banner has turned into the Hulk more and more, he's gotten smarter and can even talk fluently in some movies because of it. The Hulk didn't speak like that because he was stupid, he spoke like that because he was still in a very early developmental stage. A better comparison to the Hulk would be Wormwood, not Wolfgang.

22 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Really, in the game there is no indication that Wolfgang is an idiot: he knows how to build every single scientific or supernatural object, like any other character. You say that Wolfgang is a idiot because do he speak badly? People, he's foreign, or russian or german, of course he can't speak English well.
Because is he strong? Really we are fooled by the stereotype: strong = stupid? Come on.
But surely someone will now tell me that in a live stream the developers have said that Wolfgang is actually a crippled mind, a brain-injured man. I never really understood anything about this game :'D

(Fortunately at least we have the certainty that Wolfgang is a COMMUNIST!)

5dc5b1ee6f520_WolfgangCOMUNISMO.thumb.png.89ec5f9023ba38656ba277f60c0f1eaa.png

I'm not sure he is stupid but I think he should be stupid. He should be stupid bc being smart and strong both don't look nice to me.

Archived