I've been trying to make a character who speaks in emojis (as in the Don't Starve Together emojis), but I haven't been able to do it.  Example: changing the description of an evergreen to :fire: (the fire emoji).

I thought I could replace the character's speech font with the "emoji" font, but I when the character talks, nothing appears over their head at all, even after I changed "It's all piney" to ":fire:".

If anyone knows a way to do this, please let me know.

Satop    38

The file you're looking for is scripts/emoji_items.lua

Emote > Data > Utf8_str

Copy that and set it as your character's speech.

This is a really interesting unique idea :)

On 11/5/2019 at 6:07 AM, Satop said:

The file you're looking for is scripts/emoji_items.lua

Emote > Data > Utf8_str

Copy that and set it as your character's speech.

This is a really interesting unique idea :)

Okay, thank you.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Set that as my character's speech", or how to set it up.  Do you mean to change STRINGS.CHARACTERS.CHARACTER = require "speech_character" to STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WILDERLY = Emote > Data > Utf8_str ?

I don't really mess with the fonts and speech files much, so I'm not sure how I'd go about this.

maradyne    4,899

You'll want this file from the scripts package in the game's [databundles] folder.

emoji_items.lua

Once you're in there, look for the emote you want. Under each emote section is a part that looks like

utf8_str = "[]"

The forum doesn't allow the actual string to be pasted, but basically, the part in quotes will be either a blank box, or a box with numbers and letters.
In basic editors the box will appear empty, but it still contains the right information.

Basically you just go and copy the box and paste it into the speech file as if it's a letter.
They actually work in chat as a replacement for the :texthere: code.

Okay, I tried putting the "[]" for the fire emoji in their speech file for an examination of an evergreen, and when I went to save it, it said the symbol would be lost if I don't change the file from ANSI to Unicode.  I tried keeping it as ANSI, and when my character examined the evergreen, they just said "??" instead of the correct emoji.

After that, I tried changing the file to Unicode.  When I started the server up, the game crashed with an error message.

maradyne    4,899

Well, that's...weird. The encoding should be UTF-8 specifically.

Dunno what editor you're using, but Notepad++ is pretty nice for stuff like this and has an Encoding menu for quick conversion.

21 hours ago, maradyne said:

Well, that's...weird. The encoding should be UTF-8 specifically.

Dunno what editor you're using, but Notepad++ is pretty nice for stuff like this and has an Encoding menu for quick conversion.

Do you have any idea what might be causing it?  Or possibly how to fix it?

EDIT: Nevermind, for some reason it hates Notepad.  I tried it in Notepad++, and changed the encoding from ANSI to UTF-8 through that, and it worked.  Thanks for the help. :)

Edited by Spookers the Spoo
  • Like 2