[Poll] On Mains

ANOTHER WITTY POLL TITLE  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you main??

2. 2. Why do you main your main?

• A guide told me to.
    • They look cooler than the rest of the characters.
    • They have lots of strengths which improve my gameplay experience.
    • They're fun to play with.
    • They're challenging to play with.
    • A friend told me to.
    • I tried them out one day and they stuck.
    • They've just come out and I decided to main them.
    • I like their personality.
    • I like functioning as the role that they provide.
    • Other (do list down in the comments!)

im in a rut main-wise atm because nobody really seems main-material to me. I find myself trying to pick up Winona, I guess?

On a real note, I play SCP-049 more than vanilla characters nowadays.

(Since I made the character and all, I guess you can say that I know what I like.)

Hey its early to say, there are still a bunch of characters to be changed, a new character coming, and a bunch of things that are going to be added to the game which may alter everyone's gameplay.

That said, as of today, I'm still sticking to Woodie. Although I'm having a lot of fun testing Wurt still.

I'm an ex-Wigfrid main who decided to switch over to Wickerbottom after realizing how amazing she is as a solo character and how broken she is as a support character. She can single-handedly feed an entire server of 20 people, solo the bee queen without even touching her, make WX an S-tier character with lightning, etc. all while having practically zero weaknesses whatsoever. I personally have a lot of fun keeping teammates on public servers alive while having some extra time to kill raid bosses solo, sometimes duo.

Straight up. Wortox main.

He is just super fun to play with and all of his upsides negate my low skills. For example, i always loose health easily in DST. His healing always helps me because if i did something incredibly stupid, there won't be much consequences for my actions because i have souls by my side. If i got stuck on a fight i underestimated, i can just soul-hop to safety.

Hunger and sanity never bothered me in DST. i never really starve in DST (unless if i forgot to eat, but i always have food/souls with me) and being insane is actually really good for me.

As far as racism- i previously mained webber before wortox and i dont mind him being hated by pigs or bunnies. they are all easy to kill anyways.

i've never really understood the point of a character main, i've always just played whatever character i wanted and i always felt that learning how to play all or most characters is more beneficial/fun

i have the same attitude for games other than DST, like TF2 where i'd play every character and mained none of them (maybe with bias towards the three high-mobility characters, of course)

i can't really judge how others play the game, but it seems some people get a little bit too attached to a character (don't ask for examples)

i know people that don't main any character either, but i still feel a bit left out since most players seem to have a character they invest most of their playtime on

53 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

I'm an ex-Wigfrid main who decided to switch over to Wickerbottom after realizing how amazing she is as a solo character

Actually I'm the total opposite. I was formerly a Wicker main that felt Wigfrid would make our worlds somewhat more difficult. As well, her downside captivates me a lot; a lot of the best healing foods are veggies, so Wigfrid's gotta think about things differently for healing. Helms are very nice as well as they are made from resources that don't see much use elsewhere.

I main both maxwell and wickerbottom! but since my friend mains wicker, i'll play as maxwell more often than not!
i originally mained wickerbottom, with a side of webber, but i one day decided to goof around as maxwell for jokes, knowing that he has the lowest hp. turned out i enjoyed his playstyle a lot more than i initially intended :'D having low hp never really bothered me, because i'd just gear up and kite the enemies. his ability to collect wood easily, read wickers books, and passive sanity gain just made him super relaxing to play. 

4 minutes ago, Jessie223 said:

i've never really understood the point of a character main, i've always just played whatever character i wanted and i always felt that learning how to play all or most characters is more beneficial/fun

i have the same attitude for games other than DST, like TF2 where i'd play every character and mained none of them (maybe with bias towards the three high-mobility characters, of course)

i can't really judge how others play the game, but it seems some people get a little bit too attached to a character (don't ask for examples)

i know people that don't main any character either, but i still feel a bit left out since most players seem to have a character they invest most of their playtime on

This is kind of my sentiment as well. Whichever character I choose to play is very situational and depends on what I want to accomplish or what role I want to fill. Sometimes I want to be webby boy and provide everyone with mm and silk. Other times I might choose Willow because I want BERNIE!. Though I do have a favorite (Woodie), I also like to explore other character's playstyles as well because it would be boring otherwise.

Mained several at this point, I was on Wigfrid immediately before the refreshes/new characters starting coming along.

Now that we're a bit into the process, I find myself sticking with Wortox for the most part.
Interesting appearance, great personality once I got to know it, noticeable downside that meshes well with my mostly nomadic playstyle, highly mobile as most of my favorite game characters are...

Seems like a perfect fit for me.

For some reason I tend to have really great synergy with furries, so by way of some cosmic joke that could also be a factor.
Seriously. I'm not among the demographic but they hecking flock to my side.

Now adays, I main Warly due to the combonation of fun self challenges, Strong utility for both SP and MP, and a fairly enjoyable personality. I used to main Wormwood for a similar reason, but frequently playing in pubs has made me really, really, really hate planting seeds.

1 hour ago, thomas4845 said:

i'm afraid that the new wendy rework will make her 18+ 

If you mean her age, you can be peaceminded that she will remain a child.

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

I used to main Wormwood for a similar reason, but frequently playing in pubs has made me really, really, really hate planting seeds.

I hear yah, wormwood is quickly turned into a farming slave in most servers which gets old fast. I use the action queue mod to make the whole thing less annoying, just mark the area and he will be there planting all without intervention, you can even check the map while he works. But yeah seriously, wormwoods are more than just farmers people let us do fun stuff.

2 hours ago, Kenjin said:

Why do people play wortox? He's so underwhelming ans removes so much that makes Don't starve funny.

What I reallyreally like are the rechargeable teleports, being able to teleport short distances at will or to dodge and confuse enemies makes a very fun gameplay to me. Although I understand that being so strong, requiring less food and being insane almost all the time is not for everyone. I play Wortox sparingly now since I mostly play alone, and I really like befriending mobs for tasks, which he can't.

7 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

You have a strong point there. To me at least there's always "that" character that im always defaulting to, since even though I can play all of them (and I do play all of them), its the one that mostly adapts to my personal playstyle, the first goals I have, the solutions that char offers to the things of the game that annoy me the most. Its not necesarily the only char I play by any means, that would be terribly boring.

Wurt.

I chose other because it's hard to explain.

My entire life I've really enjoyed fish- I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was but a wee lass. There was this whole thing when I was in grade 7-8ish where i started joking about how I was a "fish furry" and began to find really obscure art of fish/human hybrids. I'm not actually a furry, but I found that I did find "fishmen imagery' as I began to call it really cool. Stuff like Innsmouth and things like that. I always loved Merms in DS/DST, because it reminded me a lot of the creature from the black lagoon. I wanted a merm character since I started playing, which was around 5-6 years ago. I also realized I was trans about 2 years ago. So having Wurt, a girl fishperson in the game was a godsend.

This makes me seem like a lunatic

I'm also not too fond of the concept of having a "main". I find myself switching between characters pretty frequently so I can collect all their items and structures and such (and take advantage of their other perks for my bit of time with them), though I do tend to settle on Wigfrid in DST just because DST combat in general isn't very fun and I'd rather it be over as quick as possible.

Archived