Tonyroid

Stop a Heat-Deleting Bug from Stealing your Turbine Power

KittenIsAGeek    1449

Well.. that explains a LOT.  I've been looking for why I was losing so much energy.  The numbers weren't adding up.  I had forgotten about the steam compressing and temperature clamping.  Thanks!

• Like 1

biopon    226

I noticed the issue when my hot rocks were only driving about half as many turbines as they was supposed to. Cutting steam pressure below 20kg solved the problem, and I did not think much more about it.

TBH there's usually not much need for very high pressure that couldn't be sorted in another way. If you want thermal buffering igneous drywall (worth about 100kg water) or dirt tempshifts (about 3-400kg water) are great options. 

• Like 1

Tonyroid    257
6 hours ago, biopon said:

TBH there's usually not much need for very high pressure that couldn't be sorted in another way. If you want thermal buffering igneous drywall (worth about 100kg water) or dirt tempshifts (about 3-400kg water) are great options. 

Good idea.

biopon    226
43 minutes ago, Tonyroid said:

Good idea.

Were you able to gain any more understanding into what specifically is going on? Given your reach you must get a lot of input. FWIW I don't think the person you stickied on youtube really understands what clamping means. 

@mathmanican might have some insight if he were around more.

• Like 1

Lifegrow    1566

Have you tried to put a mesh tile directly beneath your vents and run the tests again?

I touched on this a while back in a few threads where people were having issues with deletion/odd behaviours in temperature loss.

The mesh tile changes how the liquid falls and so also how it interacts with the surroundings. (see mathmans bead pump threads for more explanation)

You may have to move the vent further from the turbine as it will impact the localised temperature much quicker as it instantly boils off in the atmosphere, rather than falling until contact with a surface.

Tonyroid    257
1 hour ago, biopon said:

Were you able to gain any more understanding into what specifically is going on? Given your reach you must get a lot of input. FWIW I don't think the person you stickied on youtube really understands what clamping means. 

@mathmanican might have some insight if he were around more.

I'm not getting good feedback on that pinned comment. I don't think it explains the issue but it's not a bad place to start looking into it. @mathmanican does indeed seem like a good source to ask about it. 

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Have you tried to put a mesh tile directly beneath your vents and run the tests again?

I touched on this a while back in a few threads where people were having issues with deletion/odd behaviours in temperature loss.

The mesh tile changes how the liquid falls and so also how it interacts with the surroundings. (see mathmans bead pump threads for more explanation)

You may have to move the vent further from the turbine as it will impact the localised temperature much quicker as it instantly boils off in the atmosphere, rather than falling until contact with a surface.

I didn't try that. It's a good idea, I'm running some variations on the theme right now and I'll mess around with that idea too.

mathmanican    2365

The "fix" above isn't perfect. The tile above the vent is the coldest and fluctuates greatly in mass, and occasionally plays shenanigans with the tile left of it. I'm getting around 500W with that set up, with 400kg of steam in the chamber. In your vid, with that single tile deleted, the thing starts and stops repeatedly.  The single tile left of the vent gets things going, and raises quite high in temp (though not all the way to 555W).  The liquid option provides super fast heat transfer (as you get a double bonus for liquid-liquid transfer). The more equalized the temps, the less likely you'll encounter significant sideways shenanigans. 

Edited by mathmanican
  • Like 1

OxCD    488

Really great discovery. Thanks for this info.

It kicks hard, as many of us are subjected to this bug, over a long time...

• Like 1

biopon    226

For what it's worth this setup has been running for well over 1000 cycles and is definitely not heat negative, based on the number of turbines vs. amount of magma used:

image.thumb.png.ab947f18c98cb2a646e5bb3d6750feba.png

I originally added the "pit" under the vents to prevent the turbines stalling for 1 tick when they say they have their input blocked due to the temporarily appearing water. I also have the heat input on the opposite side - it does not much matter with such a narrow build but still, generally it's bad practice.

It looks like I accidentally did two things that mitigate the bug? Note I have 800+kg steam in these, as I'm using them for boiling pwater and it seems impossible to replace the correct amount of water with just math + a valve.

Observing these for a while, pwater boils to steam in 2000g chunks on a single tile, and on the next tick it's 60+kg steam at 197+ C. It keeps growing in mass and temperature up to 250kg and 198.5C, then it's 2000g pwater again. The tile above fluctuates between 600-800kg steam and no visible change in temperarure.

So in any case, this seems safe from the bug, even if it does not exploit it for a beneficial effect.

• Like 1

Tonyroid    257

Your analysis and experiments live up to your reputation @mathmanican I love that you may have found a way to reverse the process and generate extra heat. With your feedback and all the other buzz that is happening I think I may have to do a followup video to fill in all the new information for a more complete picture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

beowulf2010    574
9 hours ago, mathmanican said:
  •  

It is definitely a bug. To get it fixed, we've got to isolate it, recreate it, report it, and then unfortunately wait....

You forgot one step. Exploit the F out of it. :D

But seriously, what I'm getting from a quick review of your posts and Tony's video is that to minimize the impact of the bug, have a solid tile to the left of where the liquid water gets input and to keep the steam pressure down at more realistic pressures somewhere in the 5-20kg range? Correct? 

biopon    226
3 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Correct?

You can do either, no need for both. Steam at 20kg or less seems to marginalize the effect, and limiting water to one tile probably mitigates it completely.

• Like 1

beowulf2010    574
Just now, biopon said:

You can do either, no need for both. Steam at 20kg or less seems to marginalize the effect, and limiting water to one tile probably mitigates it completely.

Sweet, thanks. I've been sick the past few days so my brain is a bit fuzzy still. 

mathmanican    2365
2 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Correct?

Build a few in sandbox. Play with them. Both issues affect the results. One tile is sub optimal as pressures dance around a lot and sideways shenanigans is not yet predictable. If you can fully predict it. Please share.

I summon @Blazing Falken

• Like 1

biopon    226

Just to report in on a multi-turbine setup, this has been working reasonably well for me:

image.thumb.png.ca558d18345b724938685a3d7635e400.png

From left to right, I'm getting 850W, 820W and 740W. Given that 2 SC ATs should almost, but not quite, run three turbines full on (they come short with 270kDTU or so) this is pretty reasonable. I seem to be generating 10 more watts than I'm spending on the ATs.

The metal tiles and tempshifts (alu & copper) are sort of a first attempt at drawing heat towards the cold side. It's working OK with the cold turbine on the right pulling in 185C steam, the hot one on the left draws 200.5C.

Thanks @Tonyroid for highlighting this bug. So much power would have been wasted...

• Like 2