What do you name an art thread? Is that a good name for an art thread?

me real life

Hi, I'm Skye! I've been making pixel art since I was little, but I've always kind of kept it to myself or a few mostly-private places. I'm trying to get over that, and the Klei Forums is full of artists, so I figured here would be a good place to start! Having a consistent place to share this should help keep me motivated, too.
I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and currently trying to perfect the Paper Mario 64 artstyle, so you'll see a lot of that here.

5dbb8c9643437_halloweenbig.png.1101af650b5e2249621d5110d6d606d2.png
Here's something I made just a couple hours ago for Halloween. It's a bunch of PM characters dressed up in costumes, which are either generic Halloween themed or based on (mostly) Nintendo characters.
5dbb8f4a93a03_manythems.png.c61a67c3a2e545f421eaea8ad6dd2a21.png
Here's various characters, including Peachette because I must do my duty as one of her 3 fans. Mario is taken straight from PM64 and included for reference.
pikmins.png.0e81b941e37e0ecbe55513b2aacd3dfb.png
Here's all the Pikmin! I made these whenever I first discovered the series, and fell in love with it instantly.
5dbb92db68652_joshoandsons.png.1e2f0b9d19ebb4689c88d0df79b72bc1.png
Here's a more raptor-like Yoshi, and her less-than-threatening hatchlings. I love dinosaurs in general, which will probably be relevant sometime later.

5dbb92341cc12_ocmaybe.png.94e37cc134f305a6a5c51627bf4e1a75.png
And lastly, here's that gal from my profile banner. This isn't any particular character (aside from Chester, of course), I just wanted to make something cute. It's also not quite the PM64 style, but it's got those 2px outlines that I love.

That's all I've got that's up to my current standards, but there should be more to come!

Well, I'm gonna almost immediately break the pixel art theme (and my reasoning for putting this in the off-topic forum) to show off something I've been working on for a while:
5dbf28d8c93e7_MobLineupNumbers.thumb.png.138b3b36c817d04444a8d528c4d19639.png
Yep, the dinosaur thing was relevant! I'm not as skilled with non-pixel art, but I try my best since it's better for getting this kind of idea across.
This is part of a larger idea for a prehistoric DST expansion, in the style of SW or Hamlet. Wilson creates a time machine in an attempt to go back and kill Maxwell during the intro cutscene of DS, but a mistake causes him to flip the switch from "day 1" to "millions of years ago". Since the constant didn't exist that far back, the time machine manages to will a past into existence for the constant using Wilson's knowledge of the present day constant, his knowledge of prehistoric times, and his love of puns and jokes which are just absolutely dumb.
In order, these dinos are:
1. Chompies, little scavengers who won't hesitate to finish you off if you're already close to death.
2. Dactlys, and Paradactyls, who live a life of constant suffering because Wilson needs their feathers.
3. Flaptors, the next in the line of absolutely annoying mobs who steal your stuff, like Splumonkeys or Pogs. Unlike those mobs, Flaptors are smart enough to ration your food, open gates, hop over walls, and even make some meals in the crockpot.
4. Brontalosaurus, who only exist because Wilson thinks survival would be literally impossible without some form of Beefalo, but he also knows that cows wouldn't exist in prehistoric times. The head and body of a Brontalo are two different entities, with different attacks but shared health.
5. a Mega Giblet, with their dad right nearby.
6. the Turkey Rex! The prehistoric ancestor of the common gobbler, who still screams like an idiot even if he's the one bashing you to death this time. After he's been killed, his Giblets will be orphaned, which sounds like a nice opportunity to "adopt" a new prehistoric steed!
7. Wait, that's just the Brontalosaurus again, their necks are really long!
I hope to make a more detailed post about this idea eventually, but I've had this concept art building up faster than I've been able to detail the actual creatures and mechanics, so here's a little taste!

segs.png.5396249b77092b99552043ec95edd797.png
I'm currently obsessed with a Mario theory that a friend of mine came up with, about Cataquacks actually being juvenile Wigglers that eventually combine together to make the individual segments of a single Wiggler. This theory is supported in a lot of ways by Sticker Star's Wiggler, so here's his segments with that idea applied to them! Usually there'd be 4, but the other 2 look basically the same.
Paper Mario's rounder shapes and lack of legs + the Wiggler colors makes them look like big ducklings and I'm very happy with this.

ART
5e6dd313e68cb_timetravel2x.png.a36525895d3f505543b38b35c3ed6be7.png

I had an idea for a Paper Mario game based around time travel, with the gimmick being that the status quo of the Mario world is so strong that every single time period in its history has its own Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser (and sometimes others, like Yoshi here.) Each chapter would be a different time period, and one of its characters would join you as a partner. In order here we have:
- Mario, you know him.
- Old West Mario, who uses his trusty water gun to defend his town from bandits.
- Roman Luigi, who our Mario has to save from being a Chain Chomp snack during a Koopa colosseum's halftime show.
- Prehistoric Yoshi, who acts much like a regular yoshi with the exception of preferring to just bite into things rather than using their tongue. I did actually post this sprite here way earlier, but I put it together with the others for sharing elsewere.
- "Bad Future" Peach, who uses a baseball bat to beat her way through the zombified remains of the Mushroom Kingdom she used to rule.

Archived