Wurt Merm army boss capabilities?

Glermz also did a couple of bosses with them, but he had super endgame gear also, and could probably have made it anyway without the merms.

Personally I killed beequeen so far, giving them helmets and without helmets. In both cases you require less warrior merms numbers than you would with a bunnymen army equivalent, but it also requires a ton more babysitting and coordination, they forget about the fight (mid fight) often.

I'm planning to kill Dfly too but I have yet to set the arena.

Wurt's character combos

Wurt + Webber = benefits both, Wurt can give fish to Merm king to get seaweed and seeds

Wurt + Woodie = Merm house are cheap and with Woodie crafting boards 'wood' speed it even faster

Wurt + Worm = benefits both, Worm can pick all spike twigs and plant the seeds from the Merm king to cancel Wurts downside

6 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

Wurt's character combos

Wurt + Webber = benefits both, Wurt can give fish to Merm king to get seaweed and seeds

Wurt + Woodie = Merm house are cheap and with Woodie crafting boards 'wood' speed it even faster

Wurt + Worm = benefits both, Worm can pick all spike twigs and plant the seeds from the Merm king to cancel Wurts downside

Add Wurt + Wicker to that. Wicker makes sanity books and makes plants spew out fruits and vegetables while Wurt collects all the Tentacle spots and reeds the grandma may desire in her lifetime.

10 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Add Wurt + Wicker to that. Wicker makes sanity books and makes plants spew out fruits and vegetables while Wurt collects all the Tentacle spots and reeds the grandma may desire in her lifetime.

Problem is everyone works well with Wicker, that's why didn't add her because it was SO obvious; Wicker downsides are meaningless and the upsides are so OP that I might as well put on creative mode, this is why I generally pick lower tier characters like (supposedly rated by others) Warly or Wormwood over someone like Wx or Wolfgang. 

4 hours ago, Parusoid said:

i dont understan what does webber has to do with fishes or seeds here?

both can base in the swamp for reeds, Webber + Wurt can cause wars with each others mobs

Webber benefits from fish sticks (40 hp each) or meat for more rot and gold with PK

Wurt benefits from silk/fishing rods and rot (Webber's meat/egg trades with PK)

best fishsticks - 1 fish, 2 m.meat, 1 twig - (37.5 hu, 5 sn, 40 hp)

2 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Well, I think the latest patch nerfed merms against raid bosses. yay...

The devs confirmed that they will fix that in the next patch. And currently it only affects Bee Queen (and maybe fuelweaver, haven't tried FW yet)

On 10/30/2019 at 9:40 PM, JJ0264 said:

Wurt's character combos

I think there's even more than that, if it were just for the Wood, probably Maxwell would do a better job, but Woodie synergizes extremely well with Wurt because of the variety of things he can do better early game:

• He can find the lunar island within the first days. Finding the stone bush trees early on solves Wurts hunger problems entirely and leaves her free to do other things, like setting up things for a merm king.
  • He will harvest wood and stone very fast, which will add to Wurt's own harvesting capabilities with the merms, allowing them to start building the merm empire faster.
  • He will mass kill spiders early on, and although Merms can do that too, the regular merms you get in the early game are better used for other things. The moose on the other hand, will kill all those spider infested biomes in no time and bring the loot home easily.
  • Woodie can trade with the pig king, use pigs for work (or to safely werepig them), and he even has bonus follower time, so that can even add a bunnymen army to the team eventually and get a small extra for that.

Woodie doesn't have that many advantages in boss fights, except maybe saving on armor and weapons and facetanking deerclops. Wurt on the other hand, Will provide that extra firepower he lacks, letting them take on bosses faster and making ruins raids a walk in the park. Woodie can also benefit from the surplus of frog legs and miscellaneous meats they harvest, so his food needs will be covered just with Wurt's scraps.

Wurts "Army" capability vs bosses is pretty much non existent.

It was first seen on stream, but merms fair exactly the same as pigs. They die very quickly, generally in 1-2 shots.

Merm's can't do anything to clops and bearger (both were shown on stream), clops freeze all of them and bearger 1-2 shots them with AOE (merm guards).

For bosses that they can somewhat contribute (bee queen and goose) bunnymen get the job done better and are far easier to recruit and utilize compared to the effort you need to go through to build a merm army.

As of now, they have no distinct advantage over other NPC's with regards to boss battles or fighting in general.

Having better stats doesn't stop them from getting 1-2 shoted anyway, due to bosses having 2x damage vs mobs.

Its the reason I stopped playing her, building a merm army (Which took a lot of effort) that can't tackle bosses, which are the most important challenges combat wise, just defeats the purpose of going through all of the effort to build the merm army and all the houses that come with it in the first place.

2 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

Wurts "Army" capability vs bosses is pretty much non existent.

[SNIP]

I respectfully disagree, so far on my Wurt solo gameplay they are far better than the other mobs.

Bunnymen, while they do deal more dps before moving away to regenerate HP, are slower to move around, will turn on you at the slightest mistake of touching a meat, and will most likely sleep during the day and not follow you around. You have to build them near of the exact place where you want to use them, and are much harder to coordinate in low numbers. 

Pigs are a lot weaker, but they help you chop trees too. However they will freak out at dusk/night, and won't really do anything in caves (they won't even come out in the dark, you have to set them on fire or something else). Pigs are most likely not worth the effort to use for battles, unless it's something simple like killing hounds.

Now Merm Guards are lightning speed fast, and although they don't have the bunnymen DPS, you can command them to attack like a bullet with a boomerang or an ice staff. They dodge attacks, they chop trees AND mine rocks very fast, and the most important thing of them all: They are available 24/7, as long as you have food to give them, they will follow you no matter what and respect your hiring time until it either ends, you leave the shard, or they die. This means that you can create their village anywhere on the map and carry them with you, provided you have the food to pay them (and as a Wurt you should have a steady source of veggies anyway)

The only AOE they were not able to workaround in my playtrough was Deerclops, since it kept them frozen, but you can set several fires around the arena so some of them won't freeze as much and may help you a bit longer. As for Bearger, its all up to numbers: 20 Merm Guards will deal a HUGE amount of damage to her before dying, leaving you an easier job. Its not like it matter much if they die, as long as its not winter and merm king is alive, they respawn faster than bunnymen.

Also as a bonus Wurt can also add Bunnymen to her armies, so it's not like they are mutually excluding. If you feel like overkilling things, do get some bunnymen as well.

I don't know what stream you watched but I recommend that you give them a second try, try to learn their timings and how to command them. Trust me, they are the best followers in the game by far, and when you get at least 20 guards, you become a force of nature. 

9 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I respectfully disagree, so far on my Wurt solo gameplay they are far better than the other mobs.

Bunnymen, while they do deal more dps before moving away to regenerate HP, are slower to move around, will turn on you at the slightest mistake of touching a meat, and will most likely sleep during the day and not follow you around. You have to build them near of the exact place where you want to use them, and are much harder to coordinate in low numbers. 

Pigs are a lot weaker, but they help you chop trees too. However they will freak out at dusk/night, and won't really do anything in caves (they won't even come out in the dark, you have to set them on fire or something else). Pigs are most likely not worth the effort to use for battles, unless it's something simple like killing hounds.

Now Merm Guards are lightning speed fast, and although they don't have the bunnymen DPS, you can command them to attack like a bullet with a boomerang or an ice staff. They dodge attacks, they chop trees AND mine rocks very fast, and the most important thing of them all: They are available 24/7, as long as you have food to give them, they will follow you no matter what and respect your hiring time until it either ends, you leave the shard, or they die. This means that you can create their village anywhere on the map and carry them with you, provided you have the food to pay them (and as a Wurt you should have a steady source of veggies anyway)

The only AOE they were not able to workaround in my playtrough was Deerclops, since it kept them frozen, but you can set several fires around the arena so some of them won't freeze as much and may help you a bit longer. As for Bearger, its all up to numbers: 20 Merm Guards will deal a HUGE amount of damage to her before dying, leaving you an easier job. Its not like it matter much if they die, as long as its not winter and merm king is alive, they respawn faster than bunnymen.

Also as a bonus Wurt can also add Bunnymen to her armies, so it's not like they are mutually excluding. If you feel like overkilling things, do get some bunnymen as well.

I don't know what stream you watched but I recommend that you give them a second try, try to learn their timings and how to command them. Trust me, they are the best followers in the game by far, and when you get at least 20 guards, you become a force of nature. 

The stream I was referring to was Wurt Dev stream.

There isn't anything you can do to "command them" or their timing. you press attack button and that's it.

Merms kiting AI is inferior to bunnymen because they spend most of their time running around instead of DPSing.

A common scenario is a merm guard punching a boss, running away, then coming back to punch again and gets slammed. Bunnymen output maximum DPS before they run away.

The fact that they die so fast into the fight, overshadows all of the other benefits of fighting 24/7 compared to pigs and bunny men. If they die 20 seconds into the fight, it matters little if they can fight all day long.

20 Bunnies will do a better job than 20 merm guards in all combat scenarios, simply because bunnies produce more DPS during their lives because they have superior AI and behavior. They are also far easier to recruit because you don't need to build all those merm/royal merm houses which requires a lot of wood and other resources and feeding the merm king. Using bunnies is nothing new and we have been doing this for a long time now for boss fights, meat is not a problem when bossing with them.

Best example is check a video of bee queen fight with Merms vs Bunnies and see the difference.

Although you can recruit merms with seeds, its not practical when killing bosses. boss fights last for some time and during this time the loyal timer will run out and you can't feed them more seed during combat as they are all running about and the boss chasing you around, so you need a proper veggie to feed them beforehand.

It doesn't really matter when they re spawn,if your goal was to kill a boss then after its done your work is completed and bunnies/merm served their purpose.

Merms only real advantage over bunnies and pigs is resource gathering, this is also where their 24/7 work time comes into the picture, but this is not the topic of this thread.

For the same reasons nobody picks pigs over bunnies when it comes to bossing. Merms guards are basically pigs with slightly higher stats and a different skin combat wise.

Bottom line, there is no incentive to pick merms over bunnies when it comes to bossing due to reasons mentioned above.

Those are my conclusions after a ~80 days session with solo Wurt.

11 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

big snip

I agree that bunnymen are much more practical than merms for boss fights (at least specifically bee queen). Merm guards are potentially better for these two reasons:

1. They do not panic, so they will finish the bee queen fight faster since they will continue attacking.

2. When you have 40+ merms, it becomes much better than 40+ bunnymen because at those numbers, bunnymen crowd around bee queen and half of them can't even reach the target. Kiting merms do not have this issue.

I will still pick bunnymen over merms though, because I would have to feed all 40+ merms in order to use them. With bunnymen, I don't even have to feed any of them because they will auto attack. I also have to play as Wurt to use the merms, and the advantage (maybe a minute or two faster) isn't really worth it in my opinion.

Archived