If they decided to rework it a bit so it has some sort of use but can't be exploited by repeatedly killing someone, I'd be down for it. I've used the mod for it in my servers & the chaos that can erupt is hilarious. It's a good conversation piece... for some people. :wilson_ecstatic: Some find it offensive though, which is why they removed it if I remember right from my reading on the topic.

1 hour ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

I haven't seen Wurt's yet, could someone post those?

HUMANMEAT = "Nuh-uh.",
		HUMANMEAT_COOKED = "Glurgh, scale-less smell even worse cooked.",
		HUMANMEAT_DRIED = "Nope.",

Characters also have Adventure Mode/other single player quotes though, so...it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

1 minute ago, maradyne said:

HUMANMEAT = "Nuh-uh.",
		HUMANMEAT_COOKED = "Glurgh, scale-less smell even worse cooked.",
		HUMANMEAT_DRIED = "Nope.",

Characters also have Adventure Mode/other single player quotes though, so...it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Heh. Love those. I just find it kinda weird that they even bother. They've been doing this with Long Pig since Winona, I think. Iirc not with Wormwood though?

2 hours ago, maradyne said:

Long Pig was left in specifically so players could enable it with mods if they so choose. So they probably continuing supporting the strings to aid in the process.

I mean... adding it as something that drops from the player would need a little more work. That's cuz there're non-human chatacters. Would Webber drop monster meat, Wx-78 gears and Wormwood living log?

You can't just slap it in the game as something that drops when anyone dies

19 hours ago, Desblat said:

1st of all on moral side - tha'ts just a game. Noone cares if you are able to eat players or not. I mean: you kill and eat sentient animals that can talk: pigmen, bunnymen etc. Eating other players isn't much worse.

In game balance is more important than ethic questions. Problem with balance I have with long pig: you can easily farm it:

Step 1. Prepair health boosters and tell tale hearts.

Step 2. Player dies. Meat is collected. Player is ressurcted... repeat.

That's just doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, if that meat is useless - we don't need it. I mean currently it's even worse than monster meat. You won't eat it even if you have it.

I so so disagree with your way of thinking.

I beliieve "flavor" is useful to the game, for example, quote from characters, they add so much. We could change all characters quotes in the game to mattch wilson's quotes and remove all background from all characters, that wouldn't change gameplay, but damn that would be so bad.

long pig was this. Flavor. Meat that isn't designed to be eaten. But it's here. And it really adds to actually the spirit of don't starve, just because it's named "long pig", naming it directly "human meat" however would've been out of place.

I don't think it's dramatic at all that it's been removed, but it was a small thing that added to the game.

But really I don't think a game should 100% focus on gameplay, even when it's not story driven at all.

It was a disturbing element, which could open the way to very strange and "sick" things. The magic, this mystery and occult knowledge that occurs at night among a few initiates, which takes place in narrow places and requires exotic or macabre components, would be well married with the use of human flesh. Maybe to make some effigies with which to scare monsters, for example.
In short, it was a crude concept that could evolve into really interesting things.

I'm still sad about its removal... (as well as the removal of Warbucks...)

afaik, long pig was not "removed", merely unimplemented

the option to allow players to drop long pig was never enabled in a distributed version of the game: never in closed beta, never in open beta, never after release

but iirc there are some super early alpha demos that did have it enabled, and these versions of the game were never distributed

you can see them in this video, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUwoB8KU2Y8

image.png.b002a9799d963d8eb5f3a404cb2c8692.png

image.png.97227750efeb06d1e104809327b89cc1.png

(yes, they used to look like monster meat)

anyway, my point is: i'm nitpicking on people saying it was removed, like it was taken from them, when the reality is that they never had the chance to experience them in the first place

3 hours ago, Kenjin said:

I so so disagree with your way of thinking.

I beliieve "flavor" is useful to the game, for example, quote from characters, they add so much. We could change all characters quotes in the game to mattch wilson's quotes and remove all background from all characters, that wouldn't change gameplay, but damn that would be so bad.

long pig was this. Flavor. Meat that isn't designed to be eaten. But it's here. And it really adds to actually the spirit of don't starve, just because it's named "long pig", naming it directly "human meat" however would've been out of place.

I don't think it's dramatic at all that it's been removed, but it was a small thing that added to the game.

But really I don't think a game should 100% focus on gameplay, even when it's not story driven at all.

1st of all I do love DS lore very much.

It's just that DS Together breaks immersion. That's fundamental problem I have with DST. In together version I don't feel like I am that goddamn Wilson trying not to die, because death is significant, I feel like I am that goddamn me, trying to... well IDK.

Thus having a "sick mechanic" like long pig, won't make me feel anything.

That's why I want everything to be gameplay justified.

13 minutes ago, Superlucas1231 said:

Why not just make long pig uneditable for most survivors but can be use for magic and crafting? It's not like the survivors are legally require to stuff everything they see down their gullet.

Now I got a disturbing mental image of a meat effigy made entirely out of long pig ;-;

I remember when we talked about this in the early DST public beta; it seemed like a good item to promote that feeling of mistrusting misfits that they were promoting in the early trailers (Willow setting fires, Wolfgang using all the until-recently nonrenewable rocks on walls, ect). Perfect fit for "Don't Starve but with multiplayer".
...but, admittedly, the game's moved far away from that premise, and it wouldn't really fit anymore.

Giving me an idea for the Uncompromising Mode mod, though.

16 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

afaik, long pig was not "removed", merely unimplemented

It definitely was in. You may not have been around at the time, but it was in at one point.

Edit: Further research has lead me to believe it was removed shortly before beta.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:48 AM, trinket_4 said:

3enqr1.jpg.afc07fb7ef3d047edc7c4e69ee62732c.jpg

Well to be fair, Wortox is a different species so it's not cannibalism but it is messed up so to say, weird enough I think it's ok since he's not directly consuming the players even though a character drops a soul... but there ghost... is considered there soul... (really weird loophole Klei.) He just really like to consume souls since he actually doesnt like regular physical food.

Archived