Pacu ranch design with <1100 kg total water :-)

1 hour ago, psusi said:

How would they go back to starving if they just ate 5x as many calories?

5 kg algae should only be worth 21 s of kcal. After that, they are back to starving.

The energy for producing extra eggs comes from their initial kcal reserves. After these are used up, you might as well stop feeding them (maybe squeez out one more egg by keeping them alive while starving)

The minimum algae of 1kg/100s has been thoroughly discussed in a previous thread.  I would not recommend anything above 100s.  These numbers are the minimum optimum values for a single pacu to produce at least 2 eggs in it's lifetime indefinitely, assuming algae doesn't run out.

1 hour ago, Yalp said:

5 kg algae should only be worth 21 s of kcal. After that, they are back to starving.

The energy for producing extra eggs comes from their initial kcal reserves. After these are used up, you might as well stop feeding them (maybe squeez out one more egg by keeping them alive while starving)

Oh yea... I forgot how much of a pig the little buggers are.  Then why would 1 kg 5 times a day be useful?

2 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

The minimum algae of 1kg/100s has been thoroughly discussed in a previous thread.  I would not recommend anything above 100s.  These numbers are the minimum optimum values for a single pacu to produce at least 2 eggs in it's lifetime indefinitely, assuming algae doesn't run out.

So that is just enough to get 1 more egg?  Over 25 cycles?  I guess I usually just feed them 10kg until I notice they are getting older and then cut them off and let them coast the last few cycles and last egg.  Never tried automating it before.  I imagine your method will use less algae but my normal method will be faster at breeding more.  I've got plenty of algae so maybe I'll stick to that.

Read this post, it has some useful designs, but it's long.  The designs are a little out-dated though, as new automation has been added since.

Use a filter-buffer-not loop with the not gate output also attached to the loader, 5s/100s for the filter/buffer respectively.  Using less than 100s will increase growth.  I like to start my pond up with 1kg/10s for perhaps 100 cycles and then drop it to 1kg/60s for long term.

3 hours ago, Craigjw said:

baby pacu don't eat food until they become adult.

Yes they do

Spoiler

5de81b5093124_pacufryeats.gif.ba7315fd96430b95c5c5e38896b4deb9.gif

5 hours ago, psusi said:

Don't you want to NOT feed the pacu while they are still a baby because it will speed up their calorie consumption but not make progress towards an egg?

Indeed :) .

Archived