Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Kavu

Asian Characters In DST ?

Recommended Posts

Kavu    59

I'm Asian and It would be cool to see an Asian character in the Don't Starve Together team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pedregales    353
Just now, Jessie223 said:

isn't walani supposedly from hawaii?

I don't know really. I read she was filipina. But hawaiian makes more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hornete    1,796
30 minutes ago, pedregales said:

I think Walani is filipina? Does that count as asian? Can anyone confirm? Also Wheeler looks kinda arabic (which is also asian).

Wheeler being arabic is a strange thought, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeklo    17,596

I recall people theorizing that Willow is of Japanese descent due to some of her quotes and a lighter brand or someth'n.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Canis    10,629

My friends constantly confuse Walani with being Asian, but I'm pretty sure she's Hawaiian.

38 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I recall people theorizing that Willow is of Japanese descent due to some of her quotes and a lighter brand or someth'n.

I think @JamesBucket covered the topic of Willow being Japanese in a video, iirc. I'll try to find it real quick, gimme a sec.

 

Edit: Here it is. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I recall people theorizing that Willow is of Japanese descent due to some of her quotes and a lighter brand or someth'n.

I’ve always gone under the assumption that she might be Wilson’s niece. Not entirely sure why, but that’s what made sense to me. Probably the hair and clothes, even if most of the characters have a similar color scheme. I haven’t heard of the Japanese descent theory before. That’s interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sinisterrkid    528
18 minutes ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

I’ve always gone under the assumption that she might be Wilson’s niece. Not entirely sure why,

I think you may be confusing it with another piece of lore that says Wendy is Maxwell's niece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jessie223    789

iirc maxwell being wendy's uncle isn't a definite piece of lore, there are loads of twins outside of the constant

the twins mentioned being wendy & abigail is just one possibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sinisterrkid    528

It would be cool to get some cannon on characters' countries/cultures of origins... There is some theorizing that:

Wolfgang might be Russian/German.

Walry might be New Caledonian (in the South Pacific.)

Wes might be French.

and as other people said here, Walani might be Hawaiian, maybe South Polynesian.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cassielu    66
1 hour ago, sinisterrkid said:

and as other people said here, Walani might be Hawaiian, maybe South Polynesian.

Well, Walani also might be chinese descent.

Quote

        DECO_WALLORNAMENT_FULLLENGTH_MIRROR = "Good for the feng shui.",

        FIRECRACKERS = "Oh, I remember these!",

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slagger    375
12 hours ago, Kavu said:

I'm Asian and It would be cool to see an Asian character in the Don't Starve Together team.

I'm a Turkish and would to be happy to see a Turk in the game. He should be ottoman styled character. He can be a merchant. And surely love kebab!

Wosman the Kebabist

*Masallah, I'm so perfect*

tatyos-efendi-1_m.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0-VERSUS-1y    4,019

Ambiguity has it's beauty and only hints, not clear statements, fair well it this context - because it plays on each and everyone's personal preferences and imagination: characters can be whatever you want them to be, and only a minor background is suggested (via character's mechanics and aesthetics). In this train of thoughts, indeed Charlie and Willow are implied to be of Asian culture and lineage by their respective quotes, promo images and in case of Willow, her lighter (its specific model namely: 1920s-to-1930s "Willow" brand Japanese lighters). As for Walani, like previous posters underlined, she seems either Hawaiian or Polynesian while Wheeler I presume, given her skin tone and explorer background, is of Spanish descent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    65,489
3 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Charlie and Willow are implied to be of Asian culture and lineage by their respective quotes, promo images

I'm going by their parents and Charlie's outfit on her childhood photo.

latest?cb=20190307202542

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
YumoS    217
14 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

It would be cool to get some cannon on characters' countries/cultures of origins... There is some theorizing that:

Wolfgang might be Russian/German.

Walry might be New Caledonian (in the South Pacific.)

Wes might be French.

and as other people said here, Walani might be Hawaiian, maybe South Polynesian.

 

Actually Wolfgang says if he inspects frog legs that it is a delicatecy in his country. as far as i know french people love frog legs. never heard germans like it or is even a delicatecy. warly is also french.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Articestone    21

Isnt wicker asian she never open her eyes while doing anything it appears to be closed. asian have small eyes

No offence im asian as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
__IvoCZE__    6,796
1 hour ago, Articestone said:

Isnt wicker asian she never open her eyes while doing anything it appears to be closed. asian have small eyes

No offence im asian as well 

image.png.b09b817d26f656170baf08ee93aa3b41.png vibe check time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jessie223    789
1 minute ago, I_Link_I said:

Why not the chinese president? Winnie the pooh?

  Hide contents

Now im baned from China for ever.... Worth it :D

 

Download.jpeg

reddit moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ImDaMisterL    20,237
On 28/10/2019 at 4:58 AM, Jessie223 said:

iirc maxwell being wendy's uncle isn't a definite piece of lore, there are loads of twins outside of the constant

the twins mentioned being wendy & abigail is just one possibility

What reinforced this piece of lore was Wendy's examination quote of Maxwell in Don't Starve, which was "I feel a strange kinship with him.", so there's that to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites