Babel Tower. Please read it.

20 hours ago, biopon said:

Maybe in a professional or social setting. But on the internet, where everything's semi-anonymous, brief and to the point? Just take the 5-second English lesson when offered, and don't think much else about it. It's your benefit after all.

Nope. It is an act of arrogance and a demonstration of (fake) superiority. Basically an insult. And yes, common politeness is non-optional on the Internet as well. Also, refer to the rules for posting here.

17 minutes ago, thewreckedangle said:

can i just say, mad respect for ANYONE who takes it upon themselves to learn multiple languages.

(i have been "trying" on and off for many years to learn more)

Most places that aren't the US learn English as a second or third language by default. It's a lot easier to do young because your brain is more plastic.

9 hours ago, thewreckedangle said:

i'm in the uk.. i did french and german at school (as well i have half my family is german) but school was a while ago and over the years, without the "need" to use them, i have lost most of it ):

In the Internet age, being an English native speaker is actually a disadvantage. Being fluent in a 2nd language is very valuable, as you learn a lot about the preconceptions and mind-set behind your first one. You also learn to think non-verbally and leave those limitations behind.

I think I've only run across across one or two "bigshots" who think they are all that, but for the most part everyone on the forums are pretty cool. Even in english, people misunderstand me and I them. If you want to respond to someone, don't worry too much about the consequences of what they think, just go for it. It's much better than ghosting the forums in my opinion. Even in casual settings, manners should still apply. If people are getting on to you, you don't have to reply to them. If you are worried about the language barrier, don't be. Try to rephrase your answers as questions to probe them if you understand what they are trying to say instead of answering out right if you are unsure.

I like to beat grammar nazis by editing my comment, then asking: "what do you mean?". If they quote you on a misspelled word, just quote them, but purposefully misspell one their words in the quote and then say nice edit, to make others think they edited it. XD

On 10/30/2019 at 8:50 AM, Gurgel said:

You also learn to think non-verbally and leave those limitations behind.

For me that would be pictures and diagrams compared to lengthy essays, but I have been known to do both.

1 hour ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

I like to beat grammar nazis by editing my comment, then asking: "what do you mean?". If they quote you on a misspelled word, just quote them, but purposefully misspell one their words in the quote and then say nice edit, to make others think they edited it. XD

Sneaky. I like it!

Archived