Wurt last new character for DST?

8 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Huh, turns out that if you intentionally misinterpret someone's question and then phrase it in a way that sounds stupid, it sounds pretty stupid! Let me try again to write a reply up to your high standards:

Why would Warbucks have a gun like the pewmatic? It would make sense for Warbucks to have a gun, yes, but it would just be a regular gun designed for killing animals. Warbucks is implied to be a wealthy man and openly thinks very highly of himself, to the point where he considers most others to be below him, and refers to any other race as "savage" or "brutes." So why would he have a gun designed for scavenging ammo in survival situations? He wouldn't, he would just have a regular gun. And then he would die by being impaled by a rhinoceros.

Similarly, why would Warbucks, a temple explorer, have a compass designed for pointing the way to more resources in a survival situation? Again, Warbucks is a wealthy man who thinks highly of himself, so why would he carry around a navigadget, dump himself into unknown new lands, and then hope he can find something valuable to put into said navigadget and then hope it points to treasure? Really, that does not sound in-character to me at all. I feel like he would be going in with an idea of what he's looking for, rather than wandering around a jungle and hoping he finds something valuable which then points to something else valuable.

If you have an actual response this time, I'd love to hear it.

Fair point, it does make sense after all that hot air balloon pilots carry guns and compasses that point them to sticks.

Because its a video game with cartoonish properties?

They could have reskinned the pewmatic to look like a real gun, and tuned it to use any specific item as ammunition.

A compass is important to any explorer, Warbucks is rather vague as to what exactly he explores, seems to be anywhere mysterious.

Bringing up the phyisical properties of these things has no bearing on why it should or should not be added to the game.

You must also ask yourself again why any of your arguements work for Wheeler. Shes an explorer, sure. Why does she have a gun that can use anything as a projectile? There is no reason, and there doesnt have to be.

Why would Warbucks have a compass? Because hes an explorer. Why would Warbucks have a gun that can use anything as a projectile? Because hes a hunter.

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Because its a video game with cartoonish properties?

It's a cartoony videogame, yes, but that doesn't mean a character's perks should be stretched to the point where they don't fit the theme of the character.

4 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

They could have reskinned the pewmatic to look like a real gun, and tuned it to use any specific item as ammunition.

A compass is important to any explorer, Warbucks is rather vague as to what exactly he explores, seems to be anywhere mysterious.

That wouldn't be the pewmatic, that would be a blunderbuss. Warbucks having his own blunderbuss with different ammo is very different from Warbucks having a reskinned pewmatic.

Warbucks is vague to where he explores, sure, but his starting items being a magnifying glass and ball pein hammer very much implies that he is a temple explorer, in which case it's unlikely he would need the navigadget to lead him around to resources.

8 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

You must also ask yourself again why any of your arguements work for Wheeler. Shes an explorer, sure. Why does she have a gun that can use anything as a projectile? There is no reason, and there doesnt have to be.

There is, though, and significantly more of a reason than Warbucks could possibly have. Wheeler is a spunky aeronaut who seeks out both adventure and dangerous situations, two things that Hamlet is full of and where items based around scavenging fit perfectly.

Wheeler's themed around throwing herself into dangerous situations for the sake of adventure, while using her scavenging and dodging skills to get by. In these kind of situations, it's definitely handy to have a gun which can be loaded up with any junk you find nearby, and a compass to point the way to more junk or more adventure. Warbucks would have no incentive to do so, he would stay back behind a rock and shoot his prey from there. And then he would be eaten by a lion.

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's a cartoony videogame, yes, but that doesn't mean a character's perks should be stretched to the point where they don't fit the theme of the character.

That wouldn't be the pewmatic, that would be a blunderbuss. Warbucks having his own blunderbuss with different ammo is very different from Warbucks having a reskinned pewmatic.

Warbucks is vague to where he explores, sure, but his starting items being a magnifying glass and ball pein hammer very much implies that he is a temple explorer, in which case it's unlikely he would need the navigadget to lead him around to resources.

There is, though, and significantly more of a reason than Warbucks could possibly have. Wheeler is a spunky aeronaut who seeks out both adventure and dangerous situations, two things that Hamlet is full of and where items based around scavenging fit perfectly.

Wheeler's themed around throwing herself into dangerous situations for the sake of adventure, while using her scavenging and dodging skills to get by. In these kind of situations, it's definitely handy to have a gun which can be loaded up with any junk you find nearby, and a compass to point the way to more junk or more adventure. Warbucks would have no incentive to do so, he would stay back behind a rock and shoot his prey from there. And then he would be eaten by a lion.

Youre basing this off the fact that the items are skinned to fit Wheeler.

If the pewmatic was skinned to look like a blunderbuss, what is the actual functional difference?

The answer? There is none. 

They could have skinned the pewmatic to look like whatever they wanted, changed the name, and it could easily fit so many different characters.

Just like how you completely made up a situation where Wheelers items and abilities work for HER character.

Warbucks' starting items are only useful for Hamlet, he was clearly unfinished and partly scrapped because of it. He disnt even stsrt with them when he first launches, its no stretch to say they had plans to give him more fitting items, like a gun for a stereotypical hunter, and a compass, because hes a stereotypical explorer too.

Old fasioned flintlocks, rifles, and blunderbuss' required a metal ball to be inserted into the end, alongside gunpowder. It would not be a stretxh for someone with one of these guns to fill it with some hardy object, then trying to fire that object at an enemy. It was already possible to use rocks as a short range projectile, they would shatter apart, but would still go flying.

Its not a stretch for someone with a flintlock and gunpowder to use various emergency resources as ammunition in the wilds, definetly no more than someone using an air horn to do the same.

You're thinking too small with this, of course early warbucks was trash, he was poorly thought out and in clear development while the beta was going on, Klei probably just eanted to launch the expansion with one new character, even if they qerent finished (which he clearly wasnt).

Warbucks was canned while he was still in development, but Klei SAID THEMSELVES that aspects of Warbucks would be reuses in the future.

Hence, Wheeler.

Wormwood and Wilba were already in the game code when Warbucks was canceled, and they only had plans for 3 characters (aside from Wagstaff, hes not related to Hamlet).

25 minutes ago, Jessie223 said:

wheeler is nowhere close to warbucks other than "they're both explorers!" which is such a hilariously silly excuse

what is even the point of this argument

Someone claimed that Wormwood replaced Warbucks, even though Wormwood was long in development before warbucks was canned.

Klei claimed that they would reuse aspects of Warbucks in the futute.

Warbucks was unfinished, and only had items that were useful in Hamlet and werent unique.

Wheeler is revealed to have a brand new gun, and a compass, two tools that make sense for a Hunter/Explorer like Warbucks to have (chances are the pewmatic was reskinned from the blunderbuss that Warbucks is seen with to the air horn. Yes I know the blunderbuss is the same as the one currently in game, but it wouldnt be the first time a character portrait is entirely inaccurate to their in game portrayal).

Wheeler had no datamined files in the game.

Therefor, my arguement is that Warbucks was likely replaced by Wheeler.

I imagine the last character will have some relation to the sea, maybe some lore relevance too.

I think Klei said they wanted to launch RoT fully in early 2020? Dont ask me for a source, could be entirely wrong on this one.

Would make sense for them to launch the final character alongside RoT.

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

[...]

Wheeler's themed around throwing herself into dangerous situations for the sake of adventure, while using her scavenging and dodging skills to get by. [...]

Sorry for butting in, but in this line you can just change Wheeler with Warbucks, and it would still make perfect sense. In the first trailers of Hamlet during early access you could see Warbucks throwing himself on the ruins for the sake of adventure and discovery, plus the few gameplay mechanics he had were focused on "scavenging": he used less durability on treasure searching items, he was able to examine suspicious/strange stuff for treasures without the need of special tools, and he liked money (making it a resource you wanted to keep instead of just spend); sadly the greed was his undoing (AKA, his worst perk). It is clear Klei envisioned Warbucks to be an avid adventurer, sadly they didn't deliver that on the perks and mechanics.

Wheeler being the replacement of Warbucks makes perfect sense. But I also think we should stop talking about Warbucks since he is long gone. (long live the king)

--------

Anyway, coming back to topic. No, I don't think Wurt is the last character. There is still 1 more if you add Wormwood (since Warly doesn't count). I also expect the character to be non-human (like the rest of new DST characters). Possibly a mant (since they are kinda civilized), or a bunnyman (wonder how they will make them work).

Wurt is also very likely the "little goat" character in the files, considering the merm lore. Also she has little horns.

Because there's a spotlight on the ocean atm, I still unironically want Walani. Yes, Woodie can traverse the ocean easily, but Woodie is a generalist, while Walani can specialize in the ocean.

Im aware that her perks leave a lot to be desired, but a guy can dream.

Pretty sure Warly, Walani, Woodlegs and Wilbur would count as Reworks and not Entirely Brand New characters designed exclusively for DST. 

Wormwood was an Exception to this rule because of how new he was to both DST and DS Hamlet at the same time.

past that Wurt now adds a new column row on the character selection Screen, which leaves room for Four characters to fill that row completely out.

Walani, Woodlegs, Wilba/Wilbur and the mystery newest character would probably fill those slots. I do not foresee Wheeler EVER being added to DST but that’s only because of how completely broken a ranged shooter class character would be in DST. (Sorry Wheeler fans :( )

I would also say it’s a bit Unlikely to get Wilbur as well (the playable Splemunkey that could be unlocked in DS Shipwrecked) Because of how his animations and frame rate would be completely different from the rest of the cast of DST which means... the customizable clothing items would not fit him as easily.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

past that Wurt now adds a new column row on the character selection Screen, which leaves room for Four characters to fill that row completely out.

5dbf4052abccc_IdealCharacters.thumb.png.e0c3a7c90b3d24042c21583d3fdde449.pngIdeally this is how I'd like that row to be filled: 3 reworks: Walani, Wilbur, Warbucks and one new DLC character, possibly a rock lobster. 

And yes, if Klei's adding any more single player characters to DST, I'm 99% sure they will be reworks like Warly and not DLC characters, wormwood was a special one as he was just ported into DST without change as both his mechanics and aesthetics fitted to be a direct DLC port character.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:00 PM, Bluegeist said:

The "nextcharacter" little goat lines were removed from Wortox's file, putting the possibility of such a character into question unfortunately. We'll have to wait and see

Between this and Wurt's general design (and how Mermification works and Mumsy mentioning that they would follow), it seems a lot like the original plan was to create some sort of 'goat turning merm' character.

Somewhere in development, it changed to 'just Merm', and Wurt was born, with the horns from the original design leftover because they just kinda worked visually.
Mermguards inherited the horns from her design.

Seems like the goat playable character hinted at is out the window now; the time for it passed by.

25 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

5dbf4052abccc_IdealCharacters.thumb.png.e0c3a7c90b3d24042c21583d3fdde449.pngIdeally this is how I'd like that row to be filled: 3 reworks: Walani, Wilbur, Warbucks and one new DLC character, possibly a rock lobster. 

And yes, if Klei's adding any more single player characters to DST, I'm 99% sure they will be reworks like Warly and not DLC characters, wormwood was a special one as he was just ported into DST without change as both his mechanics and aesthetics fitted to be a direct DLC port character.

I'd knock off Warbucks as there needs to be space for the random select. 

Yes, I like Wilbur more than Warbucks.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Woodlegs>Warbucks.. just saying.

Yea, I expected the #1 Pirate fan of the forums to say so. But personally Woodlegs is the dead last character I'd want in DST from the pool of Singleplayer characters, unimplemented characters and removed characters, maybe tied with Wheeler and Wallace. The seafaring theme in Return of Them kind of relates to him, yes, but I really don't think such a blatant pirate stereotype fits DST's direction with Seafaring. 

1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Yea, I expected the #1 Pirate fan of the forums to say so. But personally Woodlegs is the dead last character I'd want in DST from the pool of Singleplayer characters, unimplemented characters and removed characters, maybe tied with Wheeler and Wallace. The seafaring theme in Return of Them kind of relates to him, yes, but I really don't think such a blatant pirate stereotype fits DST's direction with Seafaring. 

It will when they finish the sea.. I’m expecting at least HALF of what Shipwrecked has with hostile ocean mobs, maybe even perhaps enemy Merm or Savage Pig Battleships.

Woodlegs Inclusion into the game would be based entirely upon how much Pirate themed content they added to DST, for example random Buried Treasures, the Message in a Bottle ETC.. 

But as the game stands Currently with the Boring uninteresting almost empty Ocean, yes you are 100% correct, Woodlegs would NOT fit into DST.

however rather she fits are not I’d fight till the Death in a Gladiators Arena for Walani.. I have my reasons :D

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I'd knock off Walani or Wilbur as there needs to be space for the random select. 

Yes, I like Warbucks more than Walani and Wilbur.

Archived