93.8ºC water making cold damage to an insulated liquid pipe

One room I had in a vacuum with exposed magma was getting filled with steam when I wasn't looking.

It took me a while to get to the exact point it happened because I didn't save each cycle.

I got to see this:

Spoiler

5db28c3ad4960_Capturadepantalla(379).thumb.png.0eabe0772bdde5d3d1c3e6fe253f8afb.png

5db28c3f86ed7_Capturadepantalla(378).thumb.png.c16d575f2e390630b11e82aaf7ff4ed6.png5db28c4442504_Capturadepantalla(377).thumb.png.68a87b538038dad3a507ce550dbccbdc.png5db28c48d4cc5_Capturadepantalla(376).thumb.png.12eb1245fc2115c2cba5451cc29eb764.png5db28c4c01caa_Capturadepantalla(381).thumb.png.e45293e4a0ad9d0fc6fcce025f8e87b3.png

93.8ºC water making cold damage to an insulated liquid pipe, Wasn't cold damage be made when the substances change state inside a pipe? Is there something i am missing/don't know of, or is this a bug?

The water comes from a desalinator, that uses salt water from a salt water geyser that spits at 95ºC.

Captura de pantalla (380).png

17 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Could you upload a save?  It is hard to tell what is happening from just the images. 

It has a lot of mods though.

But you can see that the pipe is carrying water, pretty hot, but not boiling, the pipes are not hot either, and the whole room was in a vacuum.

:confused:

I manage to make a save moments before it happens, i made sure it happens every time:

33+ Cycle 4967.sav

14 minutes ago, melquiades said:

But you can see that the pipe is carrying water, pretty hot, but not boiling, the pipes are not hot either, and the whole room was in a vacuum.

But what about the gas pipe behind it?  In the second image (in the spoiler), your insulated gas pipe is carrying steam

I just noticed that!.

Than you very much for your help!!

Edit: I had already seen that video, and i was already subscribed to Francis, but i never imagined that it would happen to me xD

It was running for literally thousands of cycles, I guess it got messed up when i started using the water produced from the desalinator to feed the geysers.

I had no idea the natural gas was that hot. I never checked. Nor did I know the oil pump exchanged heat with its contents.

One thing about that video - upping the minimum gas pressure is actually counterproductive, if your concern is about heating the pump. More gas = more mass = more total thermal energy available when the pump shuts off. Rather, you'd want to pump the natural gas out as fast as possible.

Upping the gas pressure does mean you tend to pump out colder natural gas and hotter oil. The former probably isn't an advantage, if you've got insulated pipes moving it to your generators, which you should anyway. The latter's a pretty minor effect, though it could conceivably make it a tiny bit easier to heat in petroleum.

Buildings don't exchange heat with their contents. The stored hot natural gas exists as debris above the root of the building. The water exists as debris at the root of the building. When gas is ejected from the root of the building at 240C, it exchanges heat with the water debris and causes it to become steam. Adding thermal buffer is often a good enough solution.

It does exchange heat with it at all times, but 1000g of the stored water is replaced  every second with 1000g from the pipes. Unless your water is super close to boiling, the 1000g inflow keeps everything working. When the well is vented, the water feed stops for quite a few seconds during which the stored water can be at risk.

And it does help to keep a lot of gas in the room if your well isn't submerged in oil. Over time the gas' temperature will equalize with the oil being produced, and stabilize slightly above 95C. The new gas when spawned is merged with whatever's in the room and basically has no chance to do anything to the water. 

If you have the well submerged, it doesn't matter what you have above it in terms of atmosphere. In this case you may want a granite or better tempshift connecting the well's anchor point and the oil. This has zero effect  on the water but helps the oil to insta-cool the gas bubble as it spawns at that same spot.

Archived