Sign in to follow this  
isolanni

Hamlet is Too Forced

Recommended Posts

isolanni    8

I love the open-world that Don't Starve began as. It was a blank book in which I could write my own story. Each player could build, wander and discover in their own way. My worlds were my creation. After the introduction of RoG, the race to prepare for different seasons began to be a more dominant factor.

Now, in the best and most creative iteration, Hamlet, we can link our worlds.  But when I discovered that 60 days is the absolute limit for Hamlet, I went to the world gen to delay the Aporkalypse. But I can't do it! Now, instead of having fun, I have to find the calendar and adjust it. That requires many forced intermediate steps.

Why would you take a lovely and literate open world and hamstring the players to pre-written chapters? Please don't let this game become like all the others. I've got better things to do than have a game dictate a grinding schedule.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MonsieurO    15
22 hours ago, isolanni said:

 I've got better things to do than have a game dictate a grinding schedule.

Then may I suggest that you stop playing the game ?

Just because you don't feel like doing what is required to succeed in playing Hamlet does not mean the core of the game has to change. And also I feel like reminding you that DLCs are not supposed to copy the original game, but rather add new experiences for the players. If the Hamlet experience does not fit you, then by all means stick to RoG or SW.

And also, your post is full of inconsistencies :

22 hours ago, isolanni said:

Now, in the best and most creative iteration, Hamlet

You say that but shorly after state how boring and dictating this DLC is. So what it is ? The most creative iteration or the most dictating and stressing one ? Granted this does not have to be directly opposed, but still, I feel contradicted feelings in your post.

22 hours ago, isolanni said:

Hamlet, we can link our worlds

We have been able to link worlds for years now, right from the creation of SW.

22 hours ago, isolanni said:

Why would you take a lovely and literate open world and hamstring the players to pre-written chapters?

Hamlet is mostly about exploring ruins so it makes sense for this exploration to be rewarding to the player (in this case, it helps postpone / stop the aporkalypse), The only difference between H and the other DLCs is that it makes the game easier to explore them early on (as opposed for instance to RoG where you can postpone ruins exploration for as much time as you want), but 60 days is long enough to do so, by far. Also, Hamlet has been released a long time after the base game and the other DLCs, which means the players are now a lot more experienced, hence akin to harder challenges.

23 hours ago, isolanni said:

But when I discovered that 60 days is the absolute limit for Hamlet

It's not, by any means. In Hamlet, you don't have giants attacking you every season, instead you have the Aporkalypse coming in from time to time. Now that I think about it, it's not that different, except maybe that it feels a bit more oppressive.

All in all, I think you should be a little more patient and open minded about Hamlet. Klei created an extraordinary game where it is even possible to link every DLC together. If you enjoy more the others, then by all means stick to them but you cannot really criticize Klei from bringing challenges to their DLC and make Hamlet oppressive because that's always what DS has been : oppressive. That's the core aspect of the game. Until you figure out how to fight things and / or get ready for the difficulties to come, everything is oppressive in every DLC. Be patient and you'll realize soon enough that exploring the ruins to stop the first aporkalypse is no different than getting these precious resources needed to craft your first winter gears.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isolanni    8

I am a novice, casual player - but devoted to DS. I have been playing, off and on since the first release,(10 years?). The "Your World,Your Way", world-gen leaves features up to each player. I've created some very fun weird worlds. The bones of DS has always been charming, quirky and literate. ( I loved the Norse/Operatic feel of RoG.)

I am old and disabled. I play a few weeks a year when I'm bed-bound - I've played over 2000 hours. I don't have a controller - just a very sticky mouse pad. Kiting is impossible. In  the past, I could delay or skip the big boss fights through world gen choices,(ie, very short winters, extra Tallbirds to help out,etc.).

I would never give up on Hamlet. My favorite DS worlds have been 200+ days, so knowing that I'm building for nothing is discouraging. The only way I've been able to stop the Aporkalypse is by massive lua input - and that's not fun or rewarding for me.

My suggestion is that Klei add the Aporkalypse to the world gen choices. Thay have done this with every other boss or seasonal challenge. Then, You can go on playing your way and I can enjoy my geriatric version.

I appreciate your staunch defense of DS and it's DLCs. They deserve to be lauded. For me, Minecraft was a bore and had no heart. DS and it's progeny are our only hope...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rosten    913

It's just a different form of time-gating. The giants and seasons are far less threatening or non-existent in Hamlet, instead of racing against the clock to prepare for the harsh seasons or destructive giants, you're racing against the clock to explore the world and find the calendar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fredyvictor    19
On 23/10/2019 at 8:53 AM, isolanni said:

I am a novice, casual player - but devoted to DS. I have been playing, off and on since the first release,(10 years?). The "Your World,Your Way", world-gen leaves features up to each player. I've created some very fun weird worlds. The bones of DS has always been charming, quirky and literate. ( I loved the Norse/Operatic feel of RoG.)

I am old and disabled. I play a few weeks a year when I'm bed-bound - I've played over 2000 hours. I don't have a controller - just a very sticky mouse pad. Kiting is impossible. In  the past, I could delay or skip the big boss fights through world gen choices,(ie, very short winters, extra Tallbirds to help out,etc.).

I would never give up on Hamlet. My favorite DS worlds have been 200+ days, so knowing that I'm building for nothing is discouraging. The only way I've been able to stop the Aporkalypse is by massive lua input - and that's not fun or rewarding for me.

My suggestion is that Klei add the Aporkalypse to the world gen choices. Thay have done this with every other boss or seasonal challenge. Then, You can go on playing your way and I can enjoy my geriatric version.

I appreciate your staunch defense of DS and it's DLCs. They deserve to be lauded. For me, Minecraft was a bore and had no heart. DS and it's progeny are our only hope...

Damn dude, that's kinda makes me sad

Edited by Fredyvictor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this