Why do you play as your main?

My main is Warly.

I played most of the cast and he is the first one that made me so much better in the game, I learned so much about the game when I first started playing with him.

Whats more important, playing him made me so much better at cooking with the crockpot and remembering recipes.

When I played most of of other cast (Wilson, Wendy, WX..etc) I always felt that their unique traits are rarely used and doesn't matter a lot, or their traits were just too linear and boring (wolf gang), of course, this is just personal taste.

I used to play Wendy, used Abigail to farm some spiders and then forgot about her existence.

WX, was another example for me, eating gears to boost passive states wasn't appealing to me, and the overload feature was too niche to make anything useful out of it.

Warly's unique food and seasoning changes the game, both in solo and especially when playing with a friend.

He's play style encourages the player to "play the game" and partake in activities. For example I find myself doing so much stuff with him, most of it that I never bothered with other characters, like farming, volt goat hunting, making non-food healing items and running in the swamps for reeds, hunting for different types of food in general, its just makes the game so much interesting and engaging for me, I find myself using recipes that I never used before in DST. 

He is also so rewarding, I remember my first time preparing for a dragonfly hunt (I never killed him before), making honey poultices, dragon pies, perogies, trail mixes, shadow swords, marbles suits and volt goats jelly, and with all that killing the dragon fly in spring, what a feeling that was.

He is also a fantastic team player and gets even better if you play with some friends as well.

15 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Willow, I like the convenience of her lighter early game, and watching Bernie fight my battles late game.

Finding a way to use her fire immunity is a long term goal.

I think it could be very useful vs Klaus, it can give you a window for attacking him when he orders the fire deer to cast the fire AOE.

You can just sit in it and bash him in the face.

31 minutes ago, Steve Raptor said:

I think it could be very useful vs Klaus, it can give you a window for attacking him when he orders the fire deer to cast the fire AOE.

You can just sit in it and bash him in the face.

Wouldn't you still take overheat damage?

1 hour ago, Mooagain said:

Wouldn't you still take overheat damage?

Probably, but willow takes longer to overheat, so I think the damage would be minimal.

Still, the overheat would not last very long anyway, since its winter and the other deer cast ice AOE, so the damage would be small compared to the trade off of smacking klaus in the face throughout the entire casting animation, which is fairly long.

I'm a big fan of wes just because I like of making a tougher character work out, gives me a real sense of accomplishment. Plus he has a lot of great skins, and looking fresh is a necessity for me.

I also enjoy wigfrid for her personality (in the sense that I like that's she's just an actor playing a role). it also feels nice doing damage when I'm not on wes.

My first official main was Wigfrid. I wanted to be good at fighting but knew I would never be if I didn't force myself to be. For that Wigfrid was an easy choice. She can only eat meat which forces you to fight and starts with battle spear and helm which means you can start fighting right away. Her damage resistance is also great for people trying to learn how to kite.

I've played with WX a decent amount. I got two cool skin drops for him so that's why I started playing him.

Since Wortox's release I've added him as one of my mains. His play style is unique and he's just a lot of fun to play.

Wes is also one of my mains. I started playing with him when I knew I only had an hour or so to play and didn't care if I died. Now I play as him for the memes, bragging rights, and to assert dominance ;).

Maxwell because regardless of single or multiplayer servers, I can be a one man force in resource gathering and build up relatively quickly.

Though, Wilson because he makes terrible puns, just like me. Considering I don't have a set playstyle, the normal guy works just as well for me.

Particularly when I dress him up as a clown and manage to yoink the Eyebone away from the other player who just laid eyes on it.

Maxwell because he is best at sanity management. He's the only character that can keep his sanity in check by doing absolutely nothing. This results in him being able to live in caves on regular basis without having to sleep or collect green mushrooms or doing any other actions that restore your sanity. What's also great is that his sanity regeneration allows him to ignore negative effects of sanity-decreasing food because even if you let yourself turn insane, you can kill few shadows and you'll be back to sane state which will require no maintenance. Had it been any other character, they would have fallen into endless cycle of fighting shadows over and over again but Maxwell only needs to do that once or twice. (What's important here is that you just have to go above insanity cap so shadows don't attack you anymore, eventually Maxwell will go back to 100% sanity without having you do anything to achieve that.)

His health downside is easily covered by sanity upside. Where others have to bother making health-restoring food, Maxwell can just collect blue caps which restore 20 hp upon consumption. Blue caps wouldn't have been so appealing to other characters because they also decrease sanity by 15 points which is not fair trade-off for non-Maxwell characters. So, basically, with blue caps Maxwell is also better at health management than anyone else. (Let's also not forget about those huge blue mushroom forests in caves, where you can easily collect few stacks of blue mushrooms during just one night).

And, finally, his shadow puppets make him the best gatherer in the game. He might not be best at gathering logs, but he doesn't have to with all his other upsides. He can willingly lock himself in insane state by crafting 2 duelists and 1 worker and also be able to farm nightmare fuel with efficiency other characters can only dream of.

He can also replicate Webber's and Wigfrid's ability to live on monster meat only by cooking it first; this way, monster meat only takes -3 hp and sanity that is not a problem even if he eventually goes insane for reasons stated above. A single (1!) raw blue cap will cover health lost to eating 6,(6) cooked monster meats (which in return would restore whooping 125 hunger - exactly the amount of 2 meatballs).

Oh, and as if it wasn't enough, Maxwell is also able to read Wicker's books which can be crafted beforehand in ridiculous amounts that will last a long time.

Let's note that all his perks are available from beginning of the game as compared to other characters. You don't have to do farms as Warly has to, you don't have to get Fuelweaver's helm as Willow for BERNIE! nf farming, you don't have to wait for Deerclops or Bearger to spawn to obtain a lot of wood, you don't have to make kitschy idols and risk dying to shadow creatures as Woodie does, and so on. If you need more nightmare fuel early game to craft puppets, just eat raw green caps.

TL;DR: Maxwell is the best character in the game who has positive perks of many other characters in addition to his own unique ones and a single downside (low max health) that is easily countered.

Currently I love Winona.  I have always been impressed with strong women.  As I can see from the posts not many people chose her.  I enjoy make a bunny farm with catapults food for all and very little effort.  I hope to see Klei expand the use of her machines in the future. Once catapults are up I switch to Max the slave of the base.

I do find all the characters' personalities and abilities and downsides all interesting in their own ways, but I've ended up playing Wormwood a lot, because I end up attached to the characters with softer personalities, especially when they're nonhuman-looking XD
And it's nice that he doesn't get attacked by normally friendly mobs (even though that it would've made sense if the coding had counted him as a monster character). And I find the stuff he says amusing and endearing, being extremely literal and copying creatures' noises, being probably more naive than any of the actual child characters, being probably too friendly for his own good, etc. So he ends up seeming very vulnerable, and I like the idea of getting him to survive long enough to eventually build a megabase while playing as him... 'Cause his personality gives him an underdog feel even if technically his abilities are pretty good (even if maybe not the absolute easiest for solo play in DST, as I usually do) 8'D
So, yeah-

i want to protect it meme.png

I got a hunch that I'll probably also end up getting attached to Wurt, too, I guess I'll see soon XD

Archived