Why do you play as your main?

So I have been wondering, what makes people play as the character that they main?

For example, I like to play as Willow because I like the feeling of having a 2000 health bodyguard following me around, and it's fun to be able to drop Ashley and have her take care of any monsters.

So what do you find fun or why do you play as the character(s) you play.

(Im only really talking about actual characters, no modded characters, also please don't just say "cause it's part of the meta")

Willow! Now people say she can be bland, but honestly I quite like the "everything must burn!" side of things.
Plus she's actually got personality when she's got trying to burn stuff, it's fun to seek it out.

I'm always one with fires so being immune and having an itty sanity gain from them just works out nicely.

Plus, giant laughing/screaming bear/cat. Who doesn't love that? Plus she's got some nice skins and works well with a lot of other's skins, too.

Maxwell 'cause shadow duelists are epic and underrated and i can feel that sweet feeling of superior resource gathering.

The low health is a joke of a con when you're hosting your server anyways and it only makes Maxwell harder to play instead of limiting him.

If i'm not hosting,other players are potential meat-shields sometimes...

Also politely asking a Wicker to craft a The End is Nigh book in order to murder base parasites in a non-pvp server is fun too.(Well,in case they're monsters,bunnymen can do the trick).

Btw some of his quotes are...uuuh...odd?

Screenshot_808.png.0ccae29ba8ad7d1bc9701b6f3d13616f.png

Yes,Maxwell,you did.

Wickerbottom because of the twig and grass lure plant farms:

(The turfing around the farm isn't even necessary, so it's actually super easy to make)

I hate having to constantly pick them otherwise. Also with the tentacles I can make a Bunny Farm and that's easy food. So Wicker's books take care of the boring stuff, and that's why it's really hard for me to go back to other characters.

PS: Placing some lure plants in the swamp where you can find 6 or more reeds near each other also makes for good application of the lure plant method and allows me not only to keep making books, but also Night Suits, while with any other character the papyrus required is way too much hassle to be worth making. 

I now main woodie because of one reason, versatility. Woodies 3 forms allows me to comfortably fit into any role that my group needs and allows me to fit into any team no matter who else is on the server. Woodie offer me a chance to give a good advantage in every role instead of a great role in one catagory then none in the rest. I like being a Jack of all trades, instead of a master of one.

5 minutes ago, Siorm said:

Webber, because i must protect him wherever the cost.

*looks at PFP with suspicion*

anyways, I main Wormwood and Warly both because they have actual downsides while also haveing interesting upsides that are beneficial for both single and multiplayer.

Wendy for multiple reasons. Abigail is alright at farming spiders, killer bees and splumonkeys and she kinda helps with lag, pretty simple and it works. Wendy also has some of the best-looking skins. And the way her quotes are so dark and morbid just makes them amusing to me. Can't wait for the rework to make her more interesting though.
I also like Wormwood a lot. Creating an abundance of living logs and fruits/veggies is satisfying and the blooming during spring just looks too good.

I used to play Wolfgang a lot because of the speed boost but now that I completely dominate my world I just play as Wes for purely aesthetic reasons since theres no real reason for any perks in my world anymore.

Plus I think it's adorable how all the head slot items look to big for wimpy Wes

Spoiler

Thulecite_Crown_Wes.png?version=5ffb2ab5

800px-Winter_Hat_Wes.png?version=fea2976

800px-Football_Helmet_Wes.png?version=ce

Wicker, because once you get used to having all level 1 items unlocked, and you don't have to build an Alchemy Engine, you can never go back.

Books are cool too I guess, I would like some new ones, and some nerfs to her current ones honestly.

I essentially play Wickerbottom as if she still only had her first and only ability on launch.

Im in a pickle concerning DST mains atm. I used to be an adamant Woodie main, but I have drifted away from the character since his update. I am *trying* to pick Webber back up, but since he was a past main and I already spent hundreds of hours spider farming, I can't find enjoyment in his character. Heres to hoping that Wurt is super fun.

For Singleplayer, I'd say Walani. Outside of SW, she's practically a challenge character, with her increased hunger drain and lower health. While yes, these are very small and minute downsides that don't really make an effect, the 120 health becomes very noticeable when you use a meat effigy and drop it to 90. Because of this, and because my megabase world is based in RoG, she's practically a Wes-level challenge character, but with a really vibin' personality/look.

I used to main Wendy because she was the character which really made the game more fun and manageable to play. I still play as her oftentimes, but she triggers my self-pity, so i avoid her more, sadly.

So, in search of a new main I switched to Wickerbottom. This is because:

- her playstyle is nice; being able to farm lots of resources especially for other players is a nice feeling for me

- i like helping other players, so i help other players best with wicker.

- her examination quotes are fun to read for me, as they provide attempts to scientifically analyze the constant, which i find most curious.

- i'm an aspiring librarian and kinda look up to her lol

I can also readily switch to my slightly-inferior-yet-still-competent Wolfgang/Wortox/Maxwell/WX/Webber secondaries, but on any server and place, and in lieu of the Rosalina mod (which is technically still wicker) I main wicker, fra.

In singleplayer, I've recently picked up Wagstaff, because i thought he was cool. Turns out, he didn't disappoint:

- His eyesight is similar to mine IRL. And it requires me to play around it, especially considering that most headgear renders the loss of clear sight. 

- His stomach disabling butterfly consumption was also rather challenging yet fun to work around.

- His gadgets are fun to use

- His exam quotes are just like wicker's - they provide interesting observations and attempted rationalizations of the Constant, which i find interesting.

Woodie, because I can really relate to him, and love his comments. I find him saying things I’ve said before, and we both have similar interests. My mom’s side of my family is also from Minnesota, which is basically the US version of Canada. Accents, syrup, moose, and all. I myself am from Wyoming, which is by no means Canada, but is still cold, rugged, and a very “frontier spirit” sort of place. 

Plus, after playing as him for so long, I can’t stand how long it takes other characters to chop down trees. Buncha hosers. . . 

17 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

So I have been wondering, what makes people play as the character that they main?

For example, I like to play as Willow because I like the feeling of having a 2000 health bodyguard following me around, and it's fun to be able to drop Ashley and have her take care of any monsters.

So what do you find fun or why do you play as the character(s) you play.

(Im only really talking about actual characters, no modded characters, also please don't just say "cause it's part of the meta")

I play Willow for the same reasons. After a while I found her to be the easiest for Sanity management or just being insane. 

Archived