Sign in to follow this  
idkthatcool

thermal conductivity in a vacuum

idkthatcool    0

I've just started condensing oxygen and hydrogen and I've placed my condenser underneath my rocket launch facilities, as you can see I've got what I believe to be a very standard set up (aqua-tuner under steam turbine). I've been most careful to leave the one tile gap between the insulated floor of the rocket launch facilities and the gas condenser building yet when I launch a rocket I've noticed the temperature of everything just below that one tile gap heating up to an enormous degree. I can't figure out how this is happening, how the heat is getting through, I've watched in 1x speed the rocket launch and throughout the launch process a vacuum persists in the space between the two structures(no carbon dioxide exhaust) yet all the insulated tiles that make up the building heat up, which heats up the interior causing the steam turbines to overheat. Is there something in the mechanics of rocket launches that I'm missing that is overriding the good ol' no thermal interaction in a vacuum rule, or could this potentially be a bug of some sort, I understand that it makes sense that these things under the rocket would heat up IRL a duh doy, but this seems to be inconsistent with all the rules about thermodynamics in this game as I've understood them thus far. Can someone explain?

condenser.jpg

Gwido    249

It's "normal".

You should not build anything in the 10 tiles below the rocket, because of the engine "flame". ;) 

• Like 2

Sasza22    2,150

The engine "flame" effect is a hardcoded temperature increase up to 9 tiles below the rocket. It cannot be blocked by tiles. Best to leave vacuum all the way below or install a system that utilises all the heat and changes it into power.

One tip is to avoid insulated tiles. The temperature increase is pretty flat and low thermal coductivity doesn`t prevent it, it actually makes it worse as the tiles cannot disipate the heat and can eventually turn into magma.

• Like 1

idkthatcool    0

Thank you for the very swift, concise and easy to understand response. I didn't know about the "flame" now I do, thank you so much. The good thing I've learned is that I can melt insulated mafic rock tiles and let them freeze into igneous rock I can feed to my hatches. (I realize this is a real peabrain strat don't make fun of me :p)

Upon closer inspection I've realized my peabrain strat is much more peabrain that I had realized.