HeatAndRun

Renewablity of bone shards in DST

Recommended Posts

Mike23Ua    810
2 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

So well... in recent months some changes have made and Warly, Wormwood were added to DST.

Part of their ability requires the "bone shards," where all the problem begins. Single DS has several stable, reasonable ways to obtain bone shards: through hunting fugalisk and break down its bones, in Hamlet, and hammering spoiled dogfish/swordfish corpse, in Shipwrecked. even though bone shards are not renewable in DS RoG, this is not a problem because you can bring more bone shards from other DLC worlds and doesn't require that much shards after making a few important clothes.

But DST doesn't have any other way to get more bone shards. The only way to obtain bone shards is repeat self-killing and reviving, which is inefficient and against the basic rule of this game : surviving. This hadn't been a big problem until Warly and Woormwood arrived. But their ability, bramble husk and Bone bouillon(Armor and food - which accompany constant demand for its materials), require a lot of bone shards in order to use them well. You should kill yourself repeatedly to get the ingredients of items which were intended to protect you from enemies or starving. I hope there will be new ways to get more bone shards not from player corpse added in the future.

I don’t know how much of the Return of Them Content you’ve played but you can get bone shards from hammering the dead and extremely weird looking sea fish monster corpses that are on/around the lunar islands. 

Its not a renewable bone source.. but I mean yeah least it’s something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bernado1    1,142

In my opinion we can consider it renewable,but all the methods are just too expensive.

•Killing yourself demands Life amulets or in a worst case scenario a telltale heart.

•Inserting the key in Klaus bag just gives you 1 bone shard,and you have to find the deers,make them hurt themselves in a tree and find the bag first.

•Mining bones in the desert and the lunar island it’s an activity that will only gives you a finite number of bones.

•Mobs like Catcoon and no-eyed-deer having a loot pool that can drop the item is good but it’s far from effective.

•And searching it in tumbleweeds is not a guarantee drop.

 

Just a simple tweak like,having big mobs similar to koalefants,Beefalos, vargs and bosses to drop at least 2 bone shards when using a certain weapon or having random carcasses spawn in the world and when searched they would drop rot,bones and a spoiled meat of some kind.

Edited by Bernado1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowDuelist    4,206

I've found reliable ways to keep getting bone shards:

In endless worlds you can just die over and over next to the spawn portal, and keep reviving yourself with it. The amount of max health taken has a cap, so you should get yourself killed more than 5 times and it will always take about 3 or 4 booster shots to get to normal again. 

Its more efficient to do dozens of death sessions before using the booster shots. 

Wormwood is better at death sessions, since every time you revive, you can use the little hp you come back with, to make at least a living log, before dying again.

For non-endless solo worlds the cheapest way to do death sessions are meat effigies. But be ready to gather huge amounts of wood and beard hair though. The fastest way I've found to gather stacks of beard hair is to aggro a shadow splumonkey train , get them stuck in cave ins, and kill all of them at once with catapults.

If you play with others its a lot cheaper, as it was told above, just craft tons of telltalehearts and have someone revive you over and over.

Overall in non-endless solo worlds, bone shards become a quite expensive material, but renewable nontheless.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    1,324
28 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I've found reliable ways to keep getting bone shards:

In endless worlds you can just die over and over next to the spawn portal, and keep reviving yourself with it. The amount of max health taken has a cap, so you should get yourself killed more than 5 times and it will always take about 3 or 4 booster shots to get to normal again. 

Its more efficient to do dozens of death sessions before using the booster shots. 

Wormwood is better at death sessions, since every time you revive, you can use the little hp you come back with, to make at least a living log, before dying again.

For non-endless solo worlds the cheapest way to do death sessions are meat effigies. But be ready to gather huge amounts of wood and beard hair though. The fastest way I've found to gather stacks of beard hair is to aggro a shadow splumonkey train , get them stuck in cave ins, and kill all of them at once with catapults.

If you play with others its a lot cheaper, as it was told above, just craft tons of telltalehearts and have someone revive you over and over.

Overall in non-endless solo worlds, bone shards become a quite expensive material, but renewable nontheless.

This is known. The consensus is it's a terrible farm and none of it all is "cheap" unless the world is in the multi thousand days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Variant    4,850
10 hours ago, Well-met said:

mutated hounds or mutated pengulls should drop bone shards.

W-why... Why haven't I thought of this?

They're legit corpses why wouldn't they? And the Pengulls are walking chunks of ice, meat, and bone!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kuba5565    1,115
14 hours ago, Well-met said:

mutated hounds or mutated pengulls should drop bone shards.

They really should, this could be added to suggestion and feedback.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dynamix_Roxx    279
On 2019-10-20 at 12:20 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know how much of the Return of Them Content you’ve played but you can get bone shards from hammering the dead and extremely weird looking sea fish monster corpses that are on/around the lunar islands. 

Its not a renewable bone source.. but I mean yeah least it’s something new.

There’s a few things on the lunar biome that should be renewable. Anenemies. Possibly bones and reeds. The new saplings. The beach or entire biome should respawn items after a certain period of time. 

Edited by Dynamix_Roxx
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JDiceArt777    137
12 hours ago, -Variant said:

W-why... Why haven't I thought of this?

They're legit corpses why wouldn't they? And the Pengulls are walking chunks of ice, meat, and bone!

I think that EVERY THING that has bones should, at least, have a small chance of dropping bone shards. It could even be a 1% chance. 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dynamix_Roxx    279
6 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Did you just say Renewable and Lunar Island without referring to Saladmanders? Those guys must reproduce in my opinion, it's terrible that they are limited endangered species that each one killed permanently decreases the population of the species in the world. They should be just like the Volt Goats.

Carrats also deserve some love from regrowth.

I really think the beach biome on the island should be renewable. Kind of like new things washing up on shore. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    810

The hound mounds don’t have bone shards when you break them?

that would be where I would put bone shards if I helped create the game.

they’re wild dogs right? Like wolves and what not, Wolves eat people.. and then carry their bones back to their dens to snack on later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeeClops    102
16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The hound mounds don’t have bone shards when you break them?

that would be where I would put bone shards if I helped create the game.

they’re wild dogs right? Like wolves and what not, Wolves eat people.. and then carry their bones back to their dens to snack on later.

They do have bone shards, but you destroy them 1 time and that s it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now