fishes dying don't know why

5 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

I've done tons of ranching, and I've kept a stable population of 40 pacu inside a room before. You just need to remove the eggs and they'll be fine. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

Turns out we were both right.

Yes, you are correct that I mis-remembered about cramped being triggered by only critters.

But, you don't need to remove the eggs if the "room" is big enough so my initial suggestion to just remove a door to make the room the rest of the base is a much simpler solution than adding in the conveyor stuff to pick up and move the eggs, hatch the eggs somewhere else and let the fry back into the pond after hatching.

30 some Pacu with 10+ eggs. First, no door making the "room" the entire base. Not Cramped. Then, added a door to make it a 96 tile room. Cramped.  Removed the door, enlarging the room again to the size of the entire base. Cramped is gone.

Spoiler

20191020180817_1.thumb.jpg.1448a36652c8fb807d6ac9222aaaf913.jpg

20191020180831_1.thumb.jpg.7cdb8702529106c2a06ebad094d4fa2e.jpg20191020180843_1.thumb.jpg.b7c86d6a8d21a55f432f00c6c75c84ae.jpg

Note: I just looked at Ketmol's original post on my computer and saw that there is no door where I thought there was one when looking at my teeny-tiny cellphone screen.  Oops...

8 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

hm... could said space crowding work for hatches though?

Yes

20 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

But, you don't need to remove the eggs if the "room" is big enough so my initial suggestion to just remove a door to make the room the rest of the base is a much simpler solution than adding in the conveyor stuff to pick up and move the eggs, hatch the eggs somewhere else and let the fry back into the pond after hatching.

There is a problem with what you have said. Say if you do this for all your other critters as well: opening up the crowding area to the rest of the base. Yes it works, but it is a quick and dirty fix that can break in the long run. The more critters you add, the more space they require. You will eventually hit a breaking point where every critter that is open to the base will be cramped at the same time which will lead to mass critter annihilation.

The right way to do this is to actively/passively sift the eggs from a crowding room. You want this crowding room to be enough space for the critter to not be confined while at the same time confining them to 1 tile (to reduce pathing lag) using water traps or some other critter pathing mechanic.

1 hour ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

There is a problem with what you have said. Say if you do this for all your other critters as well: opening up the crowding area to the rest of the base. Yes it works, but it is a quick and dirty fix that can break in the long run. The more critters you add, the more space they require. You will eventually hit a breaking point where every critter that is open to the base will be cramped at the same time which will lead to mass critter annihilation.

The right way to do this is to actively/passively sift the eggs from a crowding room. You want this crowding room to be enough space for the critter to not be confined while at the same time confining them to 1 tile (to reduce pathing lag) using water traps or some other critter pathing mechanic.

I only allow pacu to be in the gigantic base non-room (Note: I don't use doors to separate my base from the rest of the map so I have thousands of tiles of space) so I'd need hundreds of pacu/eggs in the medium reservoir/single tile crowded tank to run into trouble. (I move my pacu via eggs transfer between cycles 200-300 from my main water tank under my portal to a dedicated single water tile crowding tank).

Everything else (voles, hatches, dreckos and slicksters. I don't currently ranch pufts, Pokeshells, or pips so they get confines or attacked) is in some sort of 96 or smaller room. 

12 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

I only allow pacu to be in the gigantic base non-room (Note: I don't use doors to separate my base from the rest of the map so I have thousands of tiles of space) so I'd need hundreds of pacu/eggs in the medium reservoir/single tile crowded tank to run into trouble. (I move my pacu via eggs transfer between cycles 200-300 from my main water tank under my portal to a dedicated single water tile crowding tank).

Everything else (voles, hatches, dreckos and slicksters. I don't currently ranch pufts, Pokeshells, or pips so they get confines or attacked) is in some sort of 96 or smaller room. 

I was just letting you know of a way that works on any number of critters. If opening up the critters to the world works for you then all the power to you. What I was talking about mainly applies for people who either forget that they have pacu production going on or that they are going for an infinite number of critters in one tile. What I said still stands. If you plan to have pacu*8*2(eggs) > # of empty tiles in your map, then opening up pacu to the map would overcrowd then cramp them all at the same time. There is a little bit of fluctuation with that formula, that is the max out of that situation. Don't forget about all of those wild critters that are in the base too. Especially shine bugs, they're a pest.

Edit. I forget if eggs have a space requirement, I think they do.

Hatches in a 'wild tile' room will isolate themselves from their eggs during the day. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e4605ed5542cefa19c5e9aa1438beafe.png

image.png.4d6e225c22c446036c844511fc9b75ce.png

So they continue to metabolize food and reproduction continues... Then night falls:

Spoiler

image.png.e8658a36a25dcc27353ee415e1a4aa5a.png

I had ONE stone egg in here and forgot about it.  Now I've got 33 smooth hatches and counting.  ... I forsee a lot of BBQ in Nikola's future.

image.thumb.png.15387d8a6b13966452eb4ce72a33fee5.png

fish dying off for no reason i have also sometimes. I remove all eggs from the tank where all the pacu are. And sometimes after a load of a save all except the fresh born ones are gone. Or they die without laying a egg.

No clue if a bug or something else happens while i don't look at it..... i just put it in the category "one of the annoying things of the game where you have no clue why it happens" . Like pipes breaking for no reason....

6 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Turns out we were both right.

Yes, you are correct that I mis-remembered about cramped being triggered by only critters.

30 some Pacu with 10+ eggs. First, no door making the "room" the entire base. Not Cramped. Then, added a door to make it a 96 tile room. Cramped.  Removed the door, enlarging the room again to the size of the entire base. Cramped is gone.

Reveal hidden contents

20191020180817_1.thumb.jpg.1448a36652c8fb807d6ac9222aaaf913.jpg

20191020180831_1.thumb.jpg.7cdb8702529106c2a06ebad094d4fa2e.jpg20191020180843_1.thumb.jpg.b7c86d6a8d21a55f432f00c6c75c84ae.jpg

Note: I just looked at Ketmol's original post on my computer and saw that there is no door where I thought there was one when looking at my teeny-tiny cellphone screen.  Oops...

I never argued against your original suggestion. I was just trying to clarify how the statuses actually worked. I'm glad you agree with me though.

Blackberrest though brings up a good point as to why I make sure to de-egg all of my critter rooms, plus my base tends to be compartmentalized so I don't necessarily get thousands of tiles by removing a single door.

Still, to each their own.

So I had a pool of size half of yours, it had 30ish fish for like 100 ish cycles.

Spoiler

5db0c0e2c77a0_Screenshot(18).thumb.png.49c48613b78fc257d18b6fc2a14fff30.png

Then one day, there was 1 fish and 1 egg left ...........

I was so sad. I think it happened because I accidentally built a DOOR above the pool which made the pool into a pool room ......

ahhh shibal

Archived