BLACKBERREST3    233
5 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

Reddit.

True, but it has its own share of issues as well. I was once mass downvoted in the sub reddit for diep.io and I couldn't post comments for it anymore. As I found out later many other sub reddits have a karma bot that prevents people from posting at all and karma carries over. That is literally preventing free speech. Many other people think that the karma system is bs too. I got trolled real hard back then and I can't even remember why. I could (and did) create another account, but I shouldn't have to which is the point. I also don't know how to navigate reddit that well. You can't sort the reddit by view count either which is a non-discriminating way to see what is relevant or eye catching (unless you sticky it to the top, dang discord thread). Reddit is still synonymous to this forum so all of the problems I have mentioned also apply to reddit as well. I could start using reddit as another source of information if it had similar features to the activity feed that this forum has.

5 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Peter Ulbrichant (1870-1967 ) analyzed it much deeper.

Um...what? Google brought me nothing, I don't know who that is.

How does quoting someone invoke autocorrect :lol:

Edited by BLACKBERREST3
  • Haha 1

BLACKBERREST3    233

Can I get a list going for how many platforms people post to.

Right now we got:

• Official Site Forums (Klei)
  • Steam Forums
  • Reddit
  • Wikipedia

Any more?

I just tried out searching for other articles on the actual study of online forums. Apparently any combination of usage, forum, and psychology will put this at the top of google surprisingly. I found this which is another interesting read.

Oozinator    2,376
3 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Any more?

Oxygen not included blog
Oxygen not included teamspeak chat
Oxygen not included skype chat

• Like 1

Daxterr    391

Wow you forgot some imporant ones...

Oxygen not included official hotline

Oxygen not included discord server (no off topic discussion or ban)

Oxygen not included official skype chat

The oxygen not incuded blogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oozinator    2,376
8 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Couldn't find the hotline or teamspeak :p

I am always friendly and helpful.
ts.PNG.ebca7d3771f99160dd7029d09278ea46.PNG

• Like 1

BLACKBERREST3    233
Just now, Oozinator said:

I am always friendly and helpful.

Oh, I thought you were talking about teamspeak specifically for oni. That makes more sense. I've only ever used it once before switching to discord.

Gurgel    1,191

I quite often do not answer because the main things have already been stated and I do not actually have anything to add.

• Like 1

avc15    416

Learn google.fu, every site's upper left corner 'search' box is inferior to advanced Google syntax.

• Thanks 1

BLACKBERREST3    233
5 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

When are we going to move on to the physiology of forum usage?

Extended use on forums without rest may lead to carpal tunnel, obesity, or back pain.

5 hours ago, avc15 said:

Learn google.fu, every site's upper left corner 'search' box is inferior to advanced Google syntax.

This is awesome, I don't know why I haven't been using this before. With this "site:https://forums.kleientertainment.com intitle:pacu" I am able to find all pages that have pacu in the title without repeats for example. Operators make it so much easier. I'm going to do more searches this way, thanks. I still think that having a list on one page is a time saver especially if you do not know what you are searching for. Sometimes people browse just for the enjoyment of it. I tried to do a couple searches to see if I could find another collection post and I got this.

Spoiler

Someone else had a similar idea.

Another Discussion

Edited by BLACKBERREST3
  • Haha 1

Oozinator    2,376
1 hour ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

This is awesome,

Yes it is very awesome and without the mathmanicanilluminati, this knowledge would not be around here so public.
You communicated before, with grand master math and you did not read his signature once?
mathvatar.PNG.76626e09527ea6678c5aab56001fa411.PNGmathsig.thumb.PNG.949e972ce787dde1d4d17cfcd4bd57af.PNG

• Thanks 1

Oozinator    2,376
18 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Section 1 - How we see

How some of us view the forum:

32 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Um...signature?

Fits the topic perfectly ^^

• Haha 1

There's also 2 discords.  One is busier than the other (I forget if it's the official one or the Reddit one, but the pic is O2 inside a slashed circle).  I find they are SUPER fast for answering questions.  They have really in depth discussions while people are working on builds too.  I'm not on there much (I'm not the best at multitasking lol), but @Saturnus seems to be so maybe he has more insight.

@BLACKBERREST3  r/oxygennotincluded is very special.  People are actually nice.  Like insanely nice.  No power tripping mods.  Responses within minutes to problems.  Builds tend to get more upvotes and hang around for a bit, while problem/need help posts go by quickly (but basically always get answered).  I hang out on reddit because I like the tab based formatting a lot.  I can see conversations I don't care to read (like side discussions) and skip over them entirely.  It saves me a lot of time.  Search still sucks.  In fact part of the reason I started making YouTube videos is so I could find what I've posted in the past when I wanted to link someone something I've previously done.

I actually didn't realize you could sort this forum by new topics, and I think I'll try it.  Between not having a mobile app, bumping threads to the top every time someone comments, and no tab formatting... I find traditional forums (in general) lacking and spend most of my time on Reddit instead.

BLACKBERREST3    233
9 hours ago, Gamers Handbook said:

There's also 2 discords.  One is busier than the other

I think I found the one that saturnus was on. This is actually a better place for people to ask simple questions and get quicker responses from what I've found. For harder ones, you'd probably need the forums or reddit for retention, but it won't be as streamlined. I don't find myself waiting too long either way. I guess if you use both discords, you will never be without people so it has that going for it.  I'll see if I can increase my google-fu powers to combine the forums. ka me ha me ha 

(site:https://forums.kleientertainment.com | site:https://www.reddit.com/r/oxygennotincluded/ | site:https://steamcommunity.com) slickster (path | navigation)

I forgot to add the link for google operators for even more techniques.

Edited by BLACKBERREST3

BLACKBERREST3    233

@Gamers Handbook I found that post I was talking about with the power of google google google.

Ironically, oozinator also answered that question.

Spoiler

These posts are a little old, but they might still be LU worthy.

Oozinator    2,376
6 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Ironically, oozinator also answered that question.

Irony not included!
irony.jpg.f4fb386d7f9c1d1af2d44092d3c04f14.jpg

• Haha 2

xialeth    35
On 10/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, Gamers Handbook said:

There's also 2 discords.  One is busier than the other

This is true, Discord is pretty fast at answering, but I feel like the fact it's so busy is also its downside -- I often check in briefly and can't make heads or tails of the current discussion because it's way more in-depth and started hundreds of messages earlier, sometimes even days, and there's not easy way to get up to speed. Which means that many (advanced) concepts and discussions I'd find interesting are way off limits for me anyway...

• Like 1

BLACKBERREST3    233
7 hours ago, xialeth said:

This is true, Discord is pretty fast at answering, but I feel like the fact it's so busy is also its downside -- I often check in briefly and can't make heads or tails of the current discussion because it's way more in-depth and started hundreds of messages earlier, sometimes even days, and there's not easy way to get up to speed. Which means that many (advanced) concepts and discussions I'd find interesting are way off limits for me anyway...

The way that dc functions is built in a way to not retain conversations. If you want it to last, you;d have to group message the the people you were talking with. I find it hard to tell if people are talking to me or not on dc when it gets busy.

• Like 1