Hallowed Nights and Wurt available October 24th! (And more!)

5 minutes ago, Jessie223 said:

can she still eat butterfly wings?

i asked about it and image.png.09437a91d61c35efd5d65ba42c9fa8b4.png

i'm going to prepare my 5 paragraph essay on why wurt should be able to eat butterflies on the 24th.

That's if klei gave butterfly wings some sort of veggie/fruit property and we don't know of it, or they might make her be able to eat them regardless, which could make some early game butterfly farm strats

14 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

D. go to the caves and eat lichen witch you may not even be prepared to find and they spoil so fast they can't be stored locking you down there

Started thinking about this a little while ago...
I'm wondering how they'll behave in caves following the update and the (presumed) ability to create villages of Merms and swamp turf wherever.
Like...will they come out in the endless darkness of the caves?
Will they still cram several of their kind into single houses, enabling condensed murder zones that could permanently overtake the Ruins with a bit more ease than current methods?

Actually looking forward to experimenting with this character.

well i hope that "vegetarian" in DST just means she doesn't eat anything classified as "meat" such as jerky, pierogi, fish, eggs, drumsticks, etc rather than only being able to eat whatever's classified as a "fruit" or "vegetable"

basically, she wouldn't be able to eat anything that wigfrid can eat (except for jellybeans and halloween candy)

a good way to tell if the game considers something as meat or not is how fast your character eats them: a slower animation means it's meat

7 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

yo guys there is a difference between vegetarian and vegan you know that right?

there is, but the game doesn't really follow real-world definitions a lot

vegetarians are people who avoid meat products (so they still consume eggs and milk), vegans are people who avoid animal products (so they'll avoid eggs and milk)

but i think this isn't a useful definition in the game, because the game seems to think that eggs are meat and that milk is solid food

As a Webber main, I love Wurt already and I think I will be switching.  I am curious, though, as to why it makes no mention of her being able to recruit/control the merms with food like Webber does with the spiders.  I am wondering if she can control them in anyway and if not...how is that supposed to work....

if anyone's interested, here's a list of food that wurt probably won't be able to eat:

Spoiler

local meat = { 
	antchovies = "Ant-Chovy", 
	baconeggs = "Bacon and Eggs", 
	batwing = "Batilisk Wing", 
	batwing_cooked = "Cooked Batilisk Wing", 
	bird_egg = "Egg", 
	bird_egg_cooked = "Cooked Egg", 
	bonesoup = "Bone Bouillon", 
	bonestew = "Meaty Stew", 
	ceviche = "Ceviche", 
	cookedmeat = "Cooked Meat", 
	cookedmonstermeat = "Cooked Monster Meat", 
	cookedsmallmeat = "Cooked Morsel", 
	deerclops_eyeball = "Deerclops Eyeball", 
	drumstick = "Drumstick", 
	drumstick_cooked = "Fried Drumstick", 
	eel = "Eel", 
	eel_cooked = "Cooked Eel", 
	fish = "Fish", 
	fish_cooked = "Cooked Fish", 
	fishsticks = "Fishsticks", 
	fishtacos = "Fish Tacos", 
	frogfishbowl = "Fish Cordon Bleu", 
	frogglebunwich = "Froggle Bunwich", 
	froglegs = "Frog Legs", 
	froglegs_cooked = "Cooked Frog Legs", 
	guacamole = "Guacamole", 
	honeyham = "Honey Ham", 
	honeynuggets = "Honey Nuggets", 
	hotchili = "Spicy Chili", 
	humanmeat = "Long Pig", 
	humanmeat_cooked = "Cooked Long Pig", 
	humanmeat_dried = "Long Pig Jerky", 
	kabobs = "Kabobs", 
	meat = "Meat", 
	meatballs = "Meatballs", 
	meat_dried = "Jerky", 
	minotaurhorn = "Guardian's Horn", 
	monsterlasagna = "Monster Lasagna", 
	monstermeat = "Monster Meat", 
	monstermeat_dried = "Monster Jerky", 
	monstertartare = "Monster Tartare", 
	moqueca = "Moqueca", 
	pepperpopper = "Stuffed Pepper Poppers", 
	perogies = "Pierogi", 
	plantmeat = "Leafy Meat", 
	plantmeat_cooked = "Cooked Leafy Meat", 
	smallmeat = "Morsel", 
	smallmeat_dried = "Small Jerky", 
	tallbirdegg = "Tallbird Egg", 
	tallbirdegg_cooked = "Fried Tallbird Egg", 
	tallbirdegg_cracked = "Hatching Tallbird Egg", 
	trunk_cooked = "Koalefant Trunk Steak", 
	trunk_summer = "Koalefant Trunk", 
	trunk_winter = "Winter Koalefant Trunk", 
	turkeydinner = "Turkey Dinner", 
	unagi = "Unagi", 
	wereitem_beaver = "Kitschy Beaver Idol", 
	wereitem_goose = "Kitschy Goose Idol", 
	wereitem_moose = "Kitschy Moose Idol", 
	winter_food9 = "Heavenly Eggnog", 
	yotp_food1 = "Tribute Roast", 
	yotp_food3 = "Fish Heads on a Stick", 
} 

21 minutes ago, Jessie223 said:

if anyone's interested, here's a list of food that wurt probably won't be able to eat:

Hide contents

local meat = { 
	antchovies = "Ant-Chovy", 
	baconeggs = "Bacon and Eggs", 
	batwing = "Batilisk Wing", 
	batwing_cooked = "Cooked Batilisk Wing", 
	bird_egg = "Egg", 
	bird_egg_cooked = "Cooked Egg", 
	bonesoup = "Bone Bouillon", 
	bonestew = "Meaty Stew", 
	ceviche = "Ceviche", 
	cookedmeat = "Cooked Meat", 
	cookedmonstermeat = "Cooked Monster Meat", 
	cookedsmallmeat = "Cooked Morsel", 
	deerclops_eyeball = "Deerclops Eyeball", 
	drumstick = "Drumstick", 
	drumstick_cooked = "Fried Drumstick", 
	eel = "Eel", 
	eel_cooked = "Cooked Eel", 
	fish = "Fish", 
	fish_cooked = "Cooked Fish", 
	fishsticks = "Fishsticks", 
	fishtacos = "Fish Tacos", 
	frogfishbowl = "Fish Cordon Bleu", 
	frogglebunwich = "Froggle Bunwich", 
	froglegs = "Frog Legs", 
	froglegs_cooked = "Cooked Frog Legs", 
	guacamole = "Guacamole", 
	honeyham = "Honey Ham", 
	honeynuggets = "Honey Nuggets", 
	hotchili = "Spicy Chili", 
	humanmeat = "Long Pig", 
	humanmeat_cooked = "Cooked Long Pig", 
	humanmeat_dried = "Long Pig Jerky", 
	kabobs = "Kabobs", 
	meat = "Meat", 
	meatballs = "Meatballs", 
	meat_dried = "Jerky", 
	minotaurhorn = "Guardian's Horn", 
	monsterlasagna = "Monster Lasagna", 
	monstermeat = "Monster Meat", 
	monstermeat_dried = "Monster Jerky", 
	monstertartare = "Monster Tartare", 
	moqueca = "Moqueca", 
	pepperpopper = "Stuffed Pepper Poppers", 
	perogies = "Pierogi", 
	plantmeat = "Leafy Meat", 
	plantmeat_cooked = "Cooked Leafy Meat", 
	smallmeat = "Morsel", 
	smallmeat_dried = "Small Jerky", 
	tallbirdegg = "Tallbird Egg", 
	tallbirdegg_cooked = "Fried Tallbird Egg", 
	tallbirdegg_cracked = "Hatching Tallbird Egg", 
	trunk_cooked = "Koalefant Trunk Steak", 
	trunk_summer = "Koalefant Trunk", 
	trunk_winter = "Winter Koalefant Trunk", 
	turkeydinner = "Turkey Dinner", 
	unagi = "Unagi", 
	wereitem_beaver = "Kitschy Beaver Idol", 
	wereitem_goose = "Kitschy Goose Idol", 
	wereitem_moose = "Kitschy Moose Idol", 
	winter_food9 = "Heavenly Eggnog", 
	yotp_food1 = "Tribute Roast", 
	yotp_food3 = "Fish Heads on a Stick", 
} 

Keep in mind, they did say vegetarian. Not vegan. So it might only be actual meats that they wont be able to eat (hopefully) So eggs and milk and butter will probably still be on the menu

21 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Keep in mind, they did say vegetarian. Not vegan. So it might only be actual meats that they wont be able to eat (hopefully) So eggs and milk and butter will probably still be on the menu

the game classifies eggs as meat, but not milk and butter

the list above is also a list of everything that wigfrid can eat (excluding jellybeans and halloween candy)

how the game checks if wigfrid can eat meat or not is if the food's "food type" is equal to "meat" or "goodies" (jellybeans and halloween candy)

i assume this is how wurt will also work except in reverse, avoiding everything that has a meat food type

note that food cannot have more than one food type (at the moment), so unless they rework the foodtype mechanic, it can be assumed that wurt won't be able to eat eggs since they're considered as meat by the game

edit: actually, they might not need to rework the foodtype mechanic if they wanna let wurt eat eggs, because of how warly works

instead of checking for foodtype, warly checks for tags, specifically "preparedfood" and "pre-preparedfood", so klei can easily make exceptions to certain food for wurt by using tags

Again, birchnuts don't drop in the winter (unless they've changed that recently, but I couldn't think why...)  I have a very strong memory of a Steam friend playing mod-character Winnie on my server, where, by the last few days of winter, she was reduced to eating really, really stale (even AFTER being cooked) birchnuts that had fallen on the ground in the FALL.  This happened. I remember:  "I'm starving, guys...!"  "WAIT!  WE FOUND ANOTHER BIRCHNUT!"  "Oh, yay, stale birchnuts, my favourite..."

Berries and carrots go bad (even with a fridge) and do not grow back in the winter either.  Also the more people you have on your server, the less control you have over people using those for filler.  (Bundling wrap?  Not everybody spams that.)

Also randomising/changing season lengths exists, so winters can sometimes be MUCH LONGER than usual.  Up to 40 days, without any mods.

AAAAND...we're all forgetting summer withering.  Sometimes it happens right when you're in the middle of the picking animation!  Oh, you're thinking big organised megabases where all the berry bushes are in rows with fling-o-matics everywhere, so withering won't be a problem?  Not everyone plays that way.  I don't.  Partly out of laziness/lacking a sense of design, partly because I don't want _all the berry bushes ON THE ENTIRE CONTINENT to be wiped out with ONE fire_.  Also:  Less disease.  So, for me, summer withering is quite often a real problem, because I leave plants where they are out in the wild and my _foraging_, rather than farming, gets cut down quite a lot in the summer.

I imagine she WOULD be able to eat butterfly wings, for the same reason Wigfrid CAN'T:  They don't count as animals.  In Don't Starve, they are apparently categorised as flowers.  I mean, seeing what happens when you "plant" them... : P

On a related note, I remember one time I gave myself a voluntary challenge (in singleplayer, I think) where it was not so much vegan/vegetarian, as PACIFIST.  That is:  If there's meat/eggs lying on the ground already (and it's still edible) you can have it, but no.  direct.  killing.  You HAVE to do at least some _indirect_ killing or you'd run from the first hound wave until the second one showed up/you starved, but you couldn't go around arranging dead meat on purpose if you got tired of the vegan diet.  You couldn't, in other words, _farm_ meat by steering/blocking off creatures into traps or something whenever you just happened to be really hungry for meatballs.  It had to be self-defense only.

I dunno, I thought it was kinda fun.  BIG HONKIN' CHALLENGE? obviously _not_; I just wanted a new playstyle to try. :)

(...all this is kinda making me want to bust out a Killer Vegan character in Dungeons of Dredmor.  Haven't played that in a while.  Everyone could use a good dungeon-crawl every now and again!)

...Notorious

8 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wurt can craft the Royal Tapestry and make a home for the Merm King and his Guards:

• The Royal Tapestry requires materials from all over The Constant
  • The Merm King provides all Merms extra strength to fight
  • Wurt must feed the Merm King to prevent him from starving

Hamlet... Ooooppss... Mermlet:wilson_ecstatic:

Why not give Wurt the ability to make her own custom food? you could make it out of mushrooms and swamp junk and call it something weird like "shroomy swamp gumbo" or a new food she can make with durians? I dunno, I had some thoughts on her and thought id share that. looks fun, lets play her when it releases and make farms and merm houses. I was rushing farms on warly anyway because I love all the new foods so Im prob just gonna do the same on ol' wurt. should be fun! 

3 minutes ago, ZeRoboButler said:

Why not give Wurt the ability to make her own custom food? you could make it out of mushrooms and swamp junk and call it something weird like "shroomy swamp gumbo" or a new food she can make with durians? I dunno, I had some thoughts on her and thought id share that. looks fun, lets play her when it releases and make farms and merm houses. I was rushing farms on warly anyway because I love all the new foods so Im prob just gonna do the same on ol' wurt. should be fun! 

Maybe she will use durian to make super lasting, super filling food but of course it should be only edible for her

Just realized now while it's on my mind...but while Wurt may not be able to eat meat or eggs, she can still technically use the meat in her recipes (in another way). If you convert meat into eggs, the game has its own "egg value" that does not correlate to a "meat value" allowing you to use them as filler. Say for example you wanted to make an automatic spider farm with merms; you can use the monster meat for eggs, and then use the eggs as filler in say a Dragonpie dish. Works with many recipes like Butter Muffin, Taffy, Fancy Spiraled Tubers (still needs a twig though), Salsa Fresca, just to name a few as it works as a filler in those dishes. Twigs work just as good, but this way it gives meat a higher purpose while leaving your twigs for the more important things, think of it as a...small benefit.

Archived