Hallowed Nights and Wurt available October 24th! (And more!)

3 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Has anyone noticed that every new character for DST (going by what Klei considered a new character) so far this year has not been human? The only new human character to DST so far has been... Winona... So that begs the question, when are we getting a new human character?

(Yes I know warly was added, but Klei has said that they are a rework, and like I said I was going off of what Klei considered a new character)

Yeah, that seems to be the point of them, they all are Constant/Other-Dimension-But-Earth Born, which makes sense since new Human Characters would throw a wrench into the current lore, why would Charlie take someone random into the constant for no reason? I think its nice we get some non human characters since we can learn a bit more about the creature's culture

4 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

Wurt is a monster

Merms aren't monsters(they don't have the monster tag like spiders,hounds etc),they're just pretty agressive like tallbirds.

Also her info says: ''Strongly dislikes Pigs'' instead of the used twice ''Is a monster''.

1 minute ago, Lammarr said:

Merms aren't monsters(they don't have the monster tag like spiders,hounds etc),they're just pretty agressive like tallbirds.

Also her info says: ''Strongly dislikes Pigs'' instead of the used twice ''Is a monster''.

Didnt Wortox's say like "is an imp" and have the mosnter tag

5 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

Didnt Wortox's say like "is an imp" and have the mosnter tag

Well actually,that's right.

But why would catcoons and bunnymen be included in this hate? also i think it would be pretty illogical if they added monster tag 'cause:

-Two characters already have this con.

-Merms aren't monsters.

11 minutes ago, Lammarr said:

Well actually,that's right.

But why would catcoons and bunnymen be included in this hate? also i think it would be pretty illogical if they added monster tag 'cause:

-Two characters already have this con.

-Merms aren't monsters.

Even though merms arent monsters they're still treated like one by pretty much everything. The only reason I can imagine them not being monsters is having something to do with the gorge and how normal goats/pigs/whatever can turn into merms (but I doubt this is intentional)

5 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Oh, so gender classification of names was wrong all along. Thank you for pointing that out, a lot of people over the centuries were misquided but at least people at the forums had been blessed to see your post and as such exposed to the truth.

23 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

Hate (well, not really) to break it to you, but many names have changed genders over time. These names:

Evelyn
Hillary
Leslie
Beverly
Carol
Courtney
Dana
Marion
Lindsey
Stacy
Vivian

Those all used to be men's names. Probably Klei just made up Wurt without realizing that it was some archaic name from centuries ago, but even if they didn't, people give female babies "male" names all the time.

10 minutes ago, FeagleSnorf said:

It’s just a name. That’s all it is. Not to mention the gender of the character is already known, so who cares if it’s a male or female name?

Exactly. it feels so utterly bizarre to be so worked up about the fact a fish monster girl has a rightfully gross monster name. Even if it was 'masculine' inclined, who gives a flying merm? It's a non issue. Completely non, actual issue. Very normal people problems to froth at the mouth over little fish girl with a """""""""""""BOY""""""""""""" name. :wilsondisapproving:

It's.  A made-up.  Name.  Also Merms have a different culture/language than us, so what sounds "masculine" or "feminine" to OUR brains wouldn't necessarily work that way for them.  (Heck, there are some real-life, right-now, HUMAN cultures who might think that.) Subject closed, end of chapter.

(next part put in spoiler so it won't clutter the post and auto-annoy people.  You'll have to CHOOSE to be annoyed!  : P)

Spoiler

Also as Rellimarual pointed out (not to keep this argument going, I just happen to find names _themselves_, and the languages they come from, fascinating) a lot of names HAVE changed gender over the years.  The interesting thing is...it almost _always_ goes the one way, and not the other. That is to say, from masculine to feminine. I won't go into the most likely REASONS the pattern only goes this way around because I'd have to use terms/bring up subjects that would piss some people off, but the pattern is usually thus:

Last/Family Name

Male First Name

Androgynous First Name

Cutely Tomboyish Female First Name

Straight-Up GIRLY Name

And I've KNOWN people like this.  My brother dated a girl named Brook, which is pretty girly now but started off as a last name (and still is).  I knew a Casey at school who was a girl, "Sam" as a girl's nickname goes back a good ways (Samantha on "Bewitched" was sometimes called that, and that was the early '60s.  "Mad Men" era.)  One of my own main online pseudonyms has the first name "Robin" and it's interesting (to me anyway) to see just _what_ the percentage is of people who first guess that as boy, and who first guess that as girl.  It's...kinda 50./50 at the moment.

ANYway.  Back to actual gameplay stuff--yeah, the "strongly dislikes pigs" part is interesting because it's worded from HER point of view.  Not like with Webber, where pigs automatically dislike _him_.  No, it says SHE dislikes _them_, which makes me wonder if she'll have a sanity debuff or some kind of auto-aggro thing you'll have to actively fight off, steering her away.  (WURT:  PIIIIIGGGGG!!! (starts pulling the control towards them)  PLAYER:  Noooo, not _now_.  WURT:  But I _waaannnaaaa_...!  (tries to steer back towards the pigs) PLAYER:  I SAID, not NOW!  We're out here to gather fruit so you can live, dammit!)  Well, Klei PROBABLY wouldn't do that last one, but it's a funny idea...

Interestingly, Webber CAN still trade with the Pig King.  You just have to get past the others first.  But the King himself doesn't care!  He just wants his trinkets and tasty meats.  I'm thinking, as a contrast, Wurt just won't be able to trade with him AT ALL.  Like, you can hold out a trinket over him but clicking won't do anything.  Maybe, however, the _other_ things that automatically attack "monsters" won't attack her, such as catcoons.  I dunno.  I don't know how many things aggro on Merms or not... because Merms THEMSELVES aggro on _anything_ in their range besides other Merms, so if a catcoon did end up prowling too close to a swamp it'd end up in a fight no matter what.  We've never actually seen someone who happens to be a Merm by species but is (potentially) _peaceful_ walking around in regular DS/T, so that'll be interesting to find out.

...Notorious

4 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Yeah, that seems to be the point of them, they all are Constant/Other-Dimension-But-Earth Born, which makes sense since new Human Characters would throw a wrench into the current lore, why would Charlie take someone random into the constant for no reason? I think its nice we get some non human characters since we can learn a bit more about the creature's culture

These have to be the dumbest explanations I have ever heard, I am a writer myself and from what little I can gather on DS Lore there are plenty of ways of adding more human characters into the game without having to have Charlie or Maxwell pull them in.

The first and easiest way of Explaining it- we have no idea how long exactly this “constant” has existed.. or better yet even (as more and more island biomes are added in future updates) how big and vast it actually is. Therefore in that theory we could say that there are people that have been trapped here even long before Maxwell ever showed up and that we just have just yet to run across them out in the world surviving.

there are plenty of “fallen survivors” skeletons all over everywhere on the game map to more than backup this idea.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

These have to be the dumbest explanations I have ever heard, I am a writer myself and from what little I can gather on DS Lore there are plenty of ways of adding more human characters into the game without having to have Charlie or Maxwell pull them in.

The first and easiest way of Explaining it- we have no idea how long exactly this “constant” has existed.. or better yet even (as more and more island biomes are added in future updates) how big and vast it actually is. Therefore in that theory we could say that there are people that have been trapped here even long before Maxwell ever showed up and that we just have just yet to run across them out in the world surviving.

there are plenty of “fallen survivors” skeletons all over everywhere on the game map to more than backup this idea.

Well you see you dont work for Klei. So to call their logic dumb when they haven't even finished the storyline is just plain rude. As a writer would you like some random online insulting your work?

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The fallen survivors around the map are implied to have been brought by maxwell, too. When he inspects them he says “ha, i remember that one” or something to that effect

Video games for the most part are NOT story books, they are games.. and as games are designed to be a fun gameplay experience, I didn’t get any explanation when suddenly there was Carrots coming up out the ground as Rats.. and that’s because it was a fun gameplay experience- not a story driven one.

i Don’t see anyone going on rockstars forums and raising pure hell about how you can store a rocket launcher and a mini-gun in what appears to be your butt, but that’s just how video games work, they don’t HAVE to make sense, they just need to be fun.

end of story.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Video games for the most part are NOT story books, they are games.. and as games are designed to be a fun gameplay experience, I didn’t get any explanation when suddenly there was Carrots coming up out the ground as Rats.. and that’s because it was a fun gameplay experience- not a story driven one.

Just because the story isn't a primary attribute to the gameplay doesn't mean the story is irrelevant. You can discard it if you like but it won't make it disappear.

Oh, what do you know, forumites ardently debating the "gender" of pixels... again :roll:

Though I for one am glad Wurt can build merm huts, will remain to be seen how exactly this new character will fair in pubs and in the hands of general player-base. As they say, "Devil's in the details". I remain skeptic and have a feeling it will follow the same road as Warly, mostly 'cause of the strictly-vegetarian thingy.

I think gender and Age in DST is irrelevant, only because there are head cosmetics for characters clearly labeled “boy” that make them look like a girl, Webber and Wes being the main culprits, they can also wear the female skirts soo uhh.. unless Wurt has a very specific look to her that clearly identifies her as female (such as having Merm Boobs) then I can probably put her in men’s clothing and just call her a dude.

Archived