I need help with the forum itself

I'm in need of a way to efficiently edit in threads to the uni. As it stands right now, the forum loads every instance (or tries to) of threads at once which uses up too much of my systems ram and is generally becoming a slower process. This is also a side effect of what happens.

forum.thumb.png.e45b11f98a8177eb13b1d82701719d30.png

It is random if it will load on refresh or not. I can reset this easily by moving the thread to where its already at, but this is tedious. One of my ideas was to use word and edit it by links. The title for each thread is already in the link which is nice.

Another problem I didn't see coming was that all the pictures that I uploaded have disappeared from the uploaded file section. They are still in the uni, but this is very strange. I think I should start up an imgur account to host the photos because you can embed the pictures in a link like you can with threads.

I can't do any organizing without a faster process to handle all the links. Any help, ideas, or reassurances are appreciated.

Another quick question, do these still exist in the game

Spoiler

This one seems more likely for both the space heater and the tepidizer

On 10/15/2019 at 4:34 PM, StarSquid said:

Yeah, it’s a nasty little problem. I noticed a while ago that the thread basically won’t work on mobile. I’d suggest maybe putting the URLs through some sort of URL shortener so the forum won’t embed them?

Not sure what you mean by mobile. Safari and chrome loads it fine on my phone because it only loads threads when you open the spoiler. I want the forum to show link previews, I just wish I could have a link only option for the editor. Would a URL shortener do this? Another option that would solve this is to have the spoilers be active while editing instead of showing me everything.

1 hour ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

I'm not familiar with using wiki as a tool. I'll look into that.

If you need any help in regard to wiki, I can help you out/answer your questions.

Because of the diversity of the topics in your thread, it'll make the most sense to split them up. There are a list of guides on the wiki in varying states of upkeep which you can add to. 

27 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:
1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

I haven't bothered with contributing to the wiki.  To much opinion is placed, in my opinion, on the facts about the game that are included/omitted from the wiki.  

Thats ashame cause it is all apart of the game whether someone likes it or not. Its not so much a preference to not use it at that point, its more of forcing information to be kept secret, which isn't the most logical answer. People get things wrong all the time and have unintended consequences. In sea of thieves, the jump lunge was an accident and they included it in the game. For oni, transparency does not really exist because communication is harder to come by. This is why someone can mistake something as a bug when it is unintended design, or worse; claim it's a bug on an intended design like Saturnus pointed out.

If I post something on the wiki, won't other people be able to change it. I barely know how it works, but I don't want someone removing a topic/thread if they consider it to be a bug/exploit. I only want people to change something if

• They can explain it better and more precisely
  • I have gotten information wrong
  • I have posted something that is unconfirmed to be true
  • Mechanics have changed in a patch

Ugh, so many features I want added to the forums, like sharing topic privileges with other people.

So I just read this. How do I know admins won't remove information based on opinion?

I think the answer will be to just take that chance anyways. I'm only one person and I'm not going to be working on the uni forever. I wish the forum had all the features I wanted it to, but that is simply not the case. Can anyone give me a heads up on where to start on the wiki.

How do I know admins won't remove information based on opinion?

You don't.  But if you make a new page, and put it in the Guides section without changing other peoples stuff, you probably stand a better chance.  If you instead open the liquid tepidizer page and try to include how it really works (turns on without any checks when connected to power, then after a brief moment runs checks before it turns off if too hot or not submerged), then you will probably enter on "exploit" realm. It's not an exploit, rather it's how the thing works, period.  It's fact, not opinion. Currently, what you find on that page is statements such as "Due to temperature limit it is not suitable for steam creation" which is completely false. The "factual" pages in the wiki are more "opinion". Some do a decent job, lots of others post what someone "thinks" the buildings should do, not what they actually do. 

If you stick to a "guides" section, you probably have a ton more liberty. It would definitely be a much better place to put ONI University, than on the forums, but it does have the wiki issues. And, as much of the ONI University stuff includes exploit uses, I'm not sure how well it will be perceive over there.  

Statements such as "A Steam Turbine can not be powered by a Cool Steam Vent, as a Geyser generates steam which is only 110 °C." which are absolutely opinion and not fact (see here), abound in the wiki. And their abundance makes me very reluctant to contribute. Generally, when I get a new game and want to read a manual, I head to the corresponding wiki. Most of the time I find facts portrayed about the game. Not so with ONI....

13 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

I don't want someone removing a topic/thread if they consider it to be a bug/exploit.

It doesn't matter if it's a bug or exploits, the information shouldn't be deleted as long as it is correct. 

11 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Currently, what you find on that page is statements such as "Due to temperature limit it is not suitable for steam creation" which is completely false. The "factual" pages in the wiki are more "opinion". Some do a decent job, lots of others post what someone "thinks" the buildings should do, not what they actually do. 

So I decided to check when that statement was made in the history, as it turns out that was made in April 2018 and it has simply been rewritten over time. I know the game a lot since then and people have discovered new things. Rather than calling wiki pages opinions, it could just be outdated information.

11 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Statements such as "A Steam Turbine can not be powered by a Cool Steam Vent, as a Geyser generates steam which is only 110 °C." which are absolutely opinion and not fact (see here), abound in the wiki. And their abundance makes me very reluctant to contribute.

I will agree there's a lot of incorrect information on the wiki. I will also say that there are only 3 registered users that are actively editing the wiki one of which is me. If you see any incorrect information, I would greatly appreciate if you could edit it or make at least make a note of it so that someone could change it later. 

12 hours ago, mathmanican said:

And, as much of the ONI University stuff includes exploit uses, I'm not sure how well it will be perceive over there.  

Considering how the community of active editors is currently comprised of 3 named users, including me, I can safely say there will be no issue with the perception of oni university content. 

As for the admin, he hasn't made edits in half a year and his edits mainly comprise template edits so I don't think you need to worry about a power trip.

It does look like you're undermanned quite a bit actually, especially for everyone who does use the wiki for oni. The easiest thing to do right off the bat would be to scrape oni-db.com for all sorts of up to date information on buildings, materials, plants, etc. And while editing the pages for those individually, add all the bugs/exploits that go with them that you can find (lit wrkspc bonus, fish feeder, critter dropoff, etc.) Obviously you wouldn't include specific use cases in detail, just a brief mention of how they could be used if relevant and mostly on how the entity functions within the game.

image.thumb.png.a97bb05dbc864f87687622ed02b9ffd5.png

I'm still reading how to use wiki in general, but as soon as I'm familiar, I could make a page that is basically the uni as a start. That should be a good tutorial project for me.

@Chintam So, I have a couple questions. I'm reading through guides and tutorials. I know that wiki has a link preview feature for its own website. Does this apply to other websites as well like youtube, this forum, etc. Idk how wikipedia or gamepedia determines this. I'd like the uni to still have previews and not just be a list of links if possible.

So far, I have found these which seems more suited for developers which I have little experience of coding with.

I have no idea how to use these extensions. Any help is appreciated.

Shoutout to @metallichydra. He's the only other name I recognize on that list.

I've also thought about breaking up the uni into smaller chunks to make editing easier within the forum, but it's able to be rendered just fine after the edits which is why I'm conflicted on that. I'm gonna ask for more help on the services thread too to see if changes can be made for the better. I'm hoping other people will like these suggested features as well. This should reduce overhead while editing imo.

• Multiple user permissions to edit original posts in threads - Wiki like, I know
  • Active spoilers in the editing window - The editing window should look similar to what is rendered imo which would make the preview function obsolete or a very specific use case at that point
  • Option to disable link-previews while editing - For those of us who don't need previews to edit

I don't really use the preview function (not to be confused with link-preview) because it rarely helps me at all with editing. Can someone explain to me a use case for it that does not involve the spoiler function. Also, what is the code option for. I have no idea what to use it for, can I get examples please.

I'm still looking into wiki, but the forum does almost everything I want it to do. It's so close yet so far.

I know that wiki has a link preview feature for its own website

As far as I'm aware, gamepedia hasn't implemented any page preview feature, and link preview feature does not exist. The stuff you linked is server-side plugins so that is out of our control.

Unfortunately, this means that we're stuck with either having the oni university page full of links or having one massive page with lots of section for different topics written out.

This is a dilemma that boils down to how do we best assimilate the information into the wiki, and I think the second option is better than the first. 

There is a third options which is where we break up that information and put it into its relevant wiki page if it exists or creates a new one. Currently, there exist a category called guides, which is a compilation of guides that are very outdated. I suspect that a lot of the information in the oni university will find a place in there. 

For topics that are about mechanics on a specific building, that information could probably be moved onto the building wiki page in question. 

If you have any more questions or want to have a more direct chat, you can probably find oxygen not included discord. 

3 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

I'm not sure if this helps or hurts what I'm trying to do. There doesn't seem to be a platform for communication on the wiki.

image.thumb.png.24e280e0420f179df8929013e0eac496.png

It seems that the page you have created has been moved into your sandbox because the page you created looked like an experimental page. it still exists here: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/User:BLACKBERREST3/ONI_University

As for communication, the best we have that exist on the wiki itself are either the discussion section that exists on every wiki page, the community portal or admin noticeboard. Of course we also have other means of communication such as the forum/discord

7 minutes ago, Chintam said:

having one massive page with lots of section for different topics written out.

7 minutes ago, Chintam said:

break up that information and put it into its relevant wiki page if it exists or creates a new one.

These are good ideas to help the wiki, the problem is that it is easier to categorize information and then link to different threads where more information takes place instead of rewriting them on the wiki. I agree that much of the information can be fixed within the individual pages, but the information already exists in the forums. I've said it before in the uni; (rephrasing) All I did was collect the relevant information that myself and others can find easily, the rest was done by the community.

11 minutes ago, Chintam said:

having the oni university page full of links

I'm pretty sure the page would end up looking like this, nothing wrong with that at all though. I think I might use it to enable others on the forum to actively add topics or remove ones because of patches. This way, I don't have to always be here for the uni to live on. Tbh, I still don't know what the uni does entirely, but it fits my preference for finding information. You can't add subtopics to the general section especially since the game has overlapping and nuanced subjects and forget about using the search function. Generally how I've been organizing it is if a section got too big, I would split it into another with its own spoiler. 

If someone who knows the wiki better than I would like to rewrite information from posts into the wiki, that is an option. I'm not finding it intuitive because there is a "rigid" (opinion) structure in place for the wiki. It takes a little bit of work to find where I can make my edits. Instead, I have much more time to browse the forums for new information and when I find one I can just put it under a category.

I know people have many builds that are really awesome. I'd like to create subsections for them to post in so it's not lost in "general".

12 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

You can't add subtopics to the general section especially since the game has overlapping and nuanced subjects and forget about using the search function.

You can add subsections which will serve the same purpose as subtopics, here's an example. I will concur that certain topics aren't so easy to fit into certain topics, which does make organisation trickier.

15 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

I'm pretty sure the page would end up looking like this, nothing wrong with that at all though. I think I might use it to enable others on the forum to actively add topics or remove ones because of patches.

14 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

If someone who knows the wiki better than I would like to rewrite information from posts into the wiki, that is an option. I'm not finding it intuitive because there is a "rigid" (opinion) structure in place for the wiki. It takes a little bit of work to find where I can make my edits.

What you could do is create the page with a barebone structure, including all the relevant thread links, label it a stub and then add a todo list, such as rewriting the information on the thread links. That way it will let people know what they can do if they want to contribute. 

I'm not really sure what you mean by rigid/opinion structure that exists in the wiki. I work by the principle of remaining factual, this includes exploit and bugs. As the wiki is a conglomerate of information I don't believe anything should be censored provided it remains relevant and factual. Documenting exploits/bugs could problematic in multiplayer games where people can abuse bug/exploits to ruin other peoples' experience. But ONI, it's a singleplayer game so that line of reasoning cannot be applied to ONI. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to but that my two cents on it.

5 minutes ago, Chintam said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by rigid/opinion structure that exists in the wiki.

Sorry, I meant that it is my opinion that it is rigid in the sense that someone has already written about a topic their way and in order for my addition to make sense, I would have to either add it in at the bottom and write it how I want even if it is duplicating information or rewrite what they had written in order for both of our additions to make sense.

That is the part I'm having trouble with. The wiki does a great job at narrowing down information, but I'm having trouble posting new information from existing sentence structures.

Just now, metallichydra said:

im sorry, i dont know much about the wiki. i edit pages, but not much else.

That's alright, you can help me edit the uni now :p

Almost done alphabetizing the categories. I just have to copy the links, words in spoilers, and pictures one at a time, but it should take 20min top to get a decent version of the uni on there.

Archived