How do you think Klei will portray Them?

What will They be presented as?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What will They be presented as?

• Simply as bad guys- All they want is to cause pain and destroy
    • As eldritch gods- They (and other gods) have created the Constant and are simply angry that you're changing it
    • Beings corrupted by shadow magic- ancient mages that tried to become gods

Let me stay on topic. Personally I just think "They" could be a being similar to Giygas from the Mother series. I'm 95% sure everyone knows who Giygas is but in case you don't, here's a quick summary from the Earthbound wiki: 

"Known as both the "Embodiment of Evil" and the "Universal Cosmic Destroyer", Giygas is an evil alien who, upon failing his original mission to reclaim the knowledge of PSI from humans, intends to sentence all of reality to the horror of infinite darkness. With an army of Starmen, Octobots and other deadly war machines, Giygas also uses his immense power to influence certain Earthlings to assist him."

"They" could just be a concept bought to a physical form. It's like a Lovecraftian creature that cannot be touched yet can influence other creatures that come into contact with it. I think my favorite part about giygas is that it doesn't even know what it's doing anymore, its a mindless force that was created from anger and ill intent and will forever be stuck in that mindset due to their emotions merging into it's powers. Worse villain is one that you can't even talk to, or convince them to change their ways.

I feel like that's what "They" will be. Except they NEED creatures to control. They can only influence what they have manifested. Probably why they keep gluing sentient people to the throne and making them mess with things from the human world, slipping out one of his creatures to attack people, and making people play their "game" as entertainment.

16 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

Just eyes. Eyes everywhere. So many eyes you can't get enough. www.eyes.com/eyes-for-everyone, come get your eyes. It's eyes 24/7 baby, you can't miss it

Bark-House-White-Birch-Bark-Logs-01-Mont 

They were looking at us through the birchnuts all along!

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I used to, and still like to think that we, the players, are "Them" - forcibly dragging the survivors into world which are technically of our creation or borne out of our wishes, for the sake of our entertainment.

I've always like the theory but... Return of Them. We're not returning really.

Unless you it's just that Meta that Klei is trying to get more players to return to the game with a new content update. /s

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally believe that 'They' are, for lack of a better term, the Gods of the Constant and portal dimensions, and that there are at least four that exist:

• Shadow God
  • Moon God
  • The Gnaw
  • Volcano/Forge God

Now, this isn't exactly a theory, as I don't have much evidence to back it up, so it's really more of a headcanon I'm waiting to be disproved.

To me it always seemed implied from Maxwell's quoutes (from adventure mode and some of his player quotes) that the shadow creatures are Them, at least until more ruins lore got involved and now no one really knows for sure.

Maxwell's dialogue in Checkmate:

Spoiler

"Or maybe They've grown tired of me."
"Heh. Took them long enough."
"They'll show you terrible, beautiful things."
"It's best not to fight it."
"There wasn't much here when I showed up."
"Just dust. And the Void. And Them."
"I've learned so much since then. I've built so much."
"But even a King is bound to the board."
"You can't change the rules of the game."
"I don't know what they want. They... they just watch."
"Unless you get too close... Then..."
"Well, there's a reason I stay so dapper."

That last quote there just seems to imply Maxwell only looks so dapper just so he can avoid Them. Kinda like how we avoid the shadow creatures by putting on dapper clothes, or how that is actually Maxwell's perk? They watch us constantly, but when get to "close" or insane, they attack.

Also, Maxwell seems to imply that the light keeps Them away:

Lantern "I hope this keeps Them away".

... and as we know, light can drive shadow creatures away to an extent, at least in the lore where Maxwell saved Charlie from them in his apartment by summoning light. Also worth mentioning, Maxwell already knew of the existence of Them, before he even got pulled into the constant ("IT'S THEM" scratched into his apartment walls). He had already summoned shadow creatures into the real world with magic, after all.

Sooo, I'm still on the band that they are the Shadow Creatures, but there is evidence for other theories. But the fact is we just won't know until Klei wants us to, they do tend to write this stuff as the go.

Archived