How do you think Klei will portray Them?

What will They be presented as?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What will They be presented as?

• Simply as bad guys- All they want is to cause pain and destroy
    • As eldritch gods- They (and other gods) have created the Constant and are simply angry that you're changing it
    • Beings corrupted by shadow magic- ancient mages that tried to become gods

I mean, They caused a downfall and a massive EXTINCTION of a civilization suffocating them in the fuel of nightmares and watching them suffer and slowly starve to death as they get more and more interested into the power they gave out to the people,They trapped  multiple people into this world, forced poor Maxwell, (and Wilson sort of) to sit in a dark, dark room where you hear nothing but the irritating same verse jazz music on eternal repeat, caused the dwellers of the forge to be trapped in a fiery pit to where they fight endlessly without end, Think about Hamlet's Aporkalypse as well, meaning some worlds have to live in a state of everything being in a Apocalyptic malfunctioning state with chaos everywhere! So its very obvious there probably the manipulative bad guy but they're probably trying to stop us as we've been advancing too good and easy for too long. Think a bout it. Every dimension in the constant was normal, till a massive change keeps them in a constant struggle. Forge was "cut from the Throne", the gorge had the gnaw to keep the goat people at bay, Hamlet had the Aporkalyse. For our constant it was the unknown of the world everything being different then what we see in normal reality, frogs will rain, biped pig species, and more causing humans before to be slaughtered (with all the "Failed survivors" skeletons on the ground). Now that we know how the constant works were starting to see how suspicious and eerie the moon is. (Remember when the moon used to turn mushrooms into mushtrees, and never once we ever questioned it.)

12 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

honestly I'd love to see just a silhouette of THEM, with perhaps glowing eyes or something, so it seems like some supreme evil

image.png.f893d8a8e6222910c9b323ae0c65e002.png

As far as we know only Crawling Horrors And Terrorbeaks are Ancients. The rest of shadow creatures are probably Them/Servants of Them

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

image.png.f893d8a8e6222910c9b323ae0c65e002.png

As far as we know only Crawling Horrors And Terrorbeaks are Ancients. The rest of shadow creatures are probably Them/Servants of Them

But the Ancient Fuelweaver controls these in his insanity stun-lock attack,no?

I still think "They" are portrayed as an eye:

Evq7P9P.png

Heck, "They" might actually encompass BOTH eyes. A Nightmare Magic one and the Lunar Magic one—perhaps the thing we play on IS one of "Them" and the "Moon" is the other.

I wouldn't be surprised if "They" aren't evil though. In the same way the Moon Chunk wants to "help"—bringing the dead back to life as horrible creatures and animating fruits and veggies (it IS bringing life, just... in a messed up way, to us).

So in that similar fashion "They" might see having the Ancients shed their bodies in favor of shadowy ones as a good thing—and upgrade even. Whereas to us, it's really not.

Whenever I think of Them, I imagine that they're the biggest and most ancient nightmare creatures, who are the puppet masters of just about everything evil in the constant. I don't think they've shown their full power yet, and that they see the Constant and it's inhabitants as simple playthings. I'm still a little confused with their relation to the moon, though. I know they link together somehow.

Whatever lore they have, I still desperately want Them to be a boss fight.

Just now, Zeklo said:

Le sigh.

Atleast I'm sure they are? I remember watching your video on DS lore and you explained the correlation between "them" and "terrorbeaks"

I think it was a letter maxwell had written and described his first encounter with a terrorbeak, right?

1 minute ago, Averagewx78main said:

Atleast I'm sure they are? I remember watching your video on DS lore and you explained the correlation between "them" and "terrorbeaks"

I think it was a letter maxwell had written and described his first encounter with a terrorbeak, right?

There's no confirmation, so this is of course just speculation. The best way I can put it is this:

"They are coming. It cannot be stopped." And "Return of Them"

In other words, "They" are not here yet, while shadow creatures are. My videos (tried) to outline how the Ancients are the Shadow Creatures and how Shadow Creatures are a product of Them but not Them itself.

Just now, Zeklo said:

There's no confirmation, so this is of course just speculation. The best way I can put it is this:

"They are coming. It cannot be stopped." And "Return of Them"

In other words, "They" are not here yet, while shadow creatures are. My videos (tried) to outline how the Ancients are the Shadow Creatures and how Shadow Creatures are a product of Them but not Them itself.

So "Them" are a new antagonist in the lore, relating to the whole return of them theme. Got it. So since shadow creatures are a product, these "Them" things must be shadow related or maybe charlie herself? I know charlie must have played a part in the rise of these new lunar islands.

1 minute ago, Averagewx78main said:

So "Them" are a new antagonist in the lore, relating to the whole return of them theme. Got it. So since shadow creatures are a product, these "Them" things must be shadow related or maybe charlie herself? I know charlie must have played a part in the rise of these new lunar islands.

Potentially, again mostly speculation, but there's some decent backing to it.

Charlie isn't Them though, as confirmed by the Fuelweaver on death: "Who are you? Release me, shade! You are not Them..."

"They" are essentially a "god-like" being—something I would equate to the "Moon" (which falls into a similar category). A celestial body turned out to in fact being a living entity—in comparison to a human it's power and influence is unfathomable.

I presume "They" are represented by an eye (as shown earlier) for a number of reasons, but especially because:

The Fuelweaver mentions "Their" return—while guarding the gateway, the way the ancient murals played out, and most importantly how the initial teaser for Return of Them was a leaking gateway.

3 hours ago, Lammarr said:

I want Them in a epic basketball match against the survivors,they must be very tall.

Ya know speaking of that, what's the reason why some people in the, lets just say "Humanity/Normal World" where the human survivors came from, are tall while some are short? Is height some sort of status in the normal world?

Like it's pretty clear that Maxwell is a tall guy, along with Charlie, but when we see other humans such as Winona and her coworkers being similar height, or Willow compared to her old caretakers at the orphanage. Is being tall looked at as being better or higher power? 

I could be just overthinking it and it can be a design reason why characters are tall and some are short. I've just got Invader zim on my head thanks to Crystal Kourosh! 

Archived