As Klei could very easily implement a difficult mode (without distorting the gaming experience through intensive modification of the world generation)

In DST the armor protects well, and protects a lot. Having even a straw armor makes the difference.
In a difficult mode I would reduce every defense percentage by half:
Tier 1 (straw armor): 33% defense.
Tier 2 (wooden armor): 60% defense.
Light Tier 3 (thulecite armor): 80% defense.
Heavy Tier 3 (marble armor / nightmare): 90% defense.
Even this small change would make any battle more hostile.

21 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

In DST the armor protects well, and protects a lot. Having even a straw armor makes the difference.
In a difficult mode I would reduce every defense percentage by half:
Tier 1 (straw armor): 33% defense.
Tier 2 (wooden armor): 60% defense.
Light Tier 3 (thulecite armor): 80% defense.
Heavy Tier 3 (marble armor / nightmare): 90% defense.
Even this small change would make any battle more hostile.

I thought that “veterans” don’t need armor since they’re so good at kiting and thusly never get hit.

2 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

I thought that “veterans” don’t need armor since they’re so good at kiting and thusly never get hit.

In a very difficult mode you can even disable armors, of course. We go by degrees; but I do not exclude anything.
I had also considered an "impossible" mode where the player has only 1 health point.

Just now, Pop Guy said:

Thanks Canis, but after the failure of my idea of the nameless island I moved away from the project. I have the feeling of not being what you are looking for

The Nameless Island idea, while interesting, was a tad too big to chew (and still is to an extent.) In other words, it was too large scale to put on our plate. Don't be discouraged, the whole reason the mod collab project exists is to have everyone involved.

So get in this server, god dammit.

1 minute ago, Canis said:

The Nameless Island idea, while interesting, was a tad too big to chew (and still is to an extent.) In other words, it was too large scale to put on our plate. Don't be discouraged, the whole reason the mod collab project exists is to have everyone involved.

So get in this server, god dammit.

How can I repay an invitation from the mafia godfather in person? :'D

Don't Starve has been "learned" at this point, the two options are either:

Make currently available content much more difficult.

Or add more SURVIVAL challenges you have to prepare for and deal with.

Obviously they don't know how to accomplish these things without interrupting the new player experience, and the 'casual' audience they have created out of thin air simply by making the game multiplayer.

Klei has instead chosen to add pointless optional content, which is only difficult when you choose to engage with it.

You know what Reign of Giants did? It added 2 new seasons, bosses, and mechanics that you could NOT avoid having to deal with.

The only time Klei have attempted this in DST is with disease, a laughable mechanic that requires no effort and poses no threat.

Simple tweaks to armor or weapons and basic items/numbers is NOT enough. The game needs better challenges, or emergent threats that you cannot fully predict if it's going to satisfy a lot of veteran fans.

I just think its a bit... unfair that they have chosen to cater to a demographic that Klei CREATED out of thin air, rather than catering to the people who first supported the series and fell in love with it because it was a niche hardcore title.

So no one at all who plays this game has Ever played state of Decay 2??

yeah it may not be the best game ever created but it does something Don’t Starve Together currently does not do very well at all.. and that would be catering to both casual players who want an easy enjoyable experience & to the players who have seen it all, done it all and want death to await them around every corner like the game is Dark Souls but 10000x more difficult.

There is a World of differences between Easy & Nightmare Moses in SoD 2- on Easy resources are plentiful and easy to come by, Vehicles appear on the map always in good condition and full of gas.

On Nightmare- Enemies could one hit kill you, you would be lucky to find a vehicle at all that wasn’t totaled and out of fuel, every area on the map had extremely reduced resources (to simulate the area had previously been scavenged through) oh yeah and the Mini Map was completely disabled.

Theres a lot more... but now I want to move away from SoD and talk directly about DST & DS Mobile.

The mobile version of DS has a “No Sweat Mode” which allows players to casually explore the world at their own pace and learn the game before jumping into something harder. Everything you know about DS- Or thought you knew rather... can be turned off for this mode, Overheating, Hypothermia, Hound Wave Attacks, Reign of Giants content, even Darkness can be disabled completely.

The Mobile version of DS & DS: Shipwrecked even curiously has a feature that the Console version does not- and that’s the ability to toggle every item in the game and choose how much or how little of it spawns.

from Lots More, More, Default, Less, A lot less, or None at All.

those of you crying for a more Hardcore DS Experience need to stop looking for mods to fix it, and start asking Klei why the game doesn’t have this kind of customization over your worlds.

imagine a “Lots More” toggle for stuff like Bearger and Deerclops, so instead of One... Three could be wrecking your crap at once.

or a “None at All” toggle for stuff like Golden Ingots spawning into the world.. 

i guarantee you that even you hardcore veterans would be begging for mercy when you spend 53 in game days scouring the map to find ONE little golden ingot so you can craft your very first Science Machine.

go ahead... somebody prove me wrong.

7 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Thanks Canis, but after the failure of my idea of the nameless island I moved away from the project. I have the feeling of not being what you are looking for

You can have the idea in the project, as long as you help implement it.

Huge ideas require coding efforts, and even if the idea is good it won't get made

1 hour ago, Mario384 said:

I'm not going to lie man, a mod is a terrible answer to any and all discussion on people wanting the game to be harder.  Console players can't use them at all, and you shouldn't have to mod the game in order to be a satisfied consumer.

@Klei

4 hours ago, Mario384 said:

I'm not going to lie man, a mod is a terrible answer to any and all discussion on people wanting the game to be harder.  Console players can't use them at all, and you shouldn't have to mod the game in order to be a satisfied consumer.

Problem being that Klei has been moving away from this for a long time anyway, and we've kinda beaten the topic of them changing direction to death now. Even got a comment on one of these thread from JoeW saying that Uncompromising being included in various descriptors (and even the title screen) of DST was an oversight.

It's unlikely that the game will go back to being challenging in any official capacity at this point.
Modding the game seems to be the only answer we have to this problem. Sucks for console, but that's how things are.
Like, really. I used to hate the 'if you don't like something about the game then just mod it' argument, but...
It really seems like this won't change unless we do it ourselves.

4 minutes ago, maradyne said:

Problem being that Klei has been moving away from this for a long time anyway, and we've kinda beaten the topic of them changing direction to death now. Even got a comment on one of these thread froms JoeW saying that Uncompromising being included in various descriptors (and even the title screen) of DST was an oversight.

It's unlikely that the game will go back to being challenging in any official capacity at this point.
Modding the game seems to be the only answer we have to this problem. Sucks for console, but that's how things are.

The thing is I have both the single player version of DS and DST on Xbox One and I’m not understanding where people are getting the Idea that DST is any easier.... I play DST ALONE for the most part with the exception of 1 or 2 friends in a locked room, or the occasional chaos of a public host. But for the most part it’s the same game.

literally the only difference I can find between DST and DS (outside of having multiplayer & clothing customizations of course) is the lack of an episodic Adventure Mode across 5 randomly generated worlds in your quest to collect parts of “The Wooden Thing”

but even that stuff I feel has been in the pipelines for DST for quite some time, If DST never gets an Adventure Mode Story I will be very sad :(

one thing I really wish the Xbox one version of DST did that the Mobile versions of DS & DS Shipwrecked already does is have a toggle option for every single item that spawns in the game world for-

Lots More, More, Default, Less, A lot Less, and None At All.. if I had this toggle on Consoles I would customize the game to be as easy or as hard as I personally want it to be.

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The thing is I have both the single player version of DS and DST on Xbox One and I’m not understanding where people are getting the Idea that DST is any easier.... I play DST ALONE for the most part with the exception of 1 or 2 friends in a locked room, or the occasional chaos of a public host. But for the most part it’s the same game.

literally the only difference I can find between DST and DS (outside of having multiplayer & clothing customizations of course) is the lack of an episodic Adventure Mode across 5 randomly generated worlds in your quest to collect parts of “The Wooden Thing”

but even that stuff I feel has been in the pipelines for DST for quite some time, If DST never gets an Adventure Mode Story I will be very sad :(

one thing I really wish the Xbox one version of DST did that the Mobile versions of DS & DS Shipwrecked already does is have a toggle option for every single item that spawns in the game world for-

Lots More, More, Default, Less, A lot Less, and None At All.. if I had this toggle on Consoles I would customize the game to be as easy or as hard as I personally want it to be.

Aside from the fact that multiple players directly makes the game easier, that's not the point. There's a case to be made for the lack of a summer giant, the lack of an aggressive Bearger, and the merging of caves and ruins making the games easier but I would still consider those more minor issues.

The point is that players have LEARNED the game by now, it's so easy to abuse certain avenues of farming, certain items, lackluster AI, and collision on stuff like Fossils, and Klei have done nothing to fix any of this.

Instead they poured all their efforts into optional content, raid bosses and challenges that don't provide any substantial survival reward, and usually only yield pointless cosmetics.

Why would ANYONE feel the need to go sailing? Why would ANYONE fight the Shadow Pieces, Malbatross, Fuelweaver, Toadstool, Klaus, New Dragonfly, and Bee Queen?

Because they are bored of surviving (or the lack of HAVING to survive) and want to go do some optional content, because there's nothing else to do, and there's no threat anymore.

Why would someone fight the Deerclops? Because it will kill all nearby mobs and wreck your base, and come to kill you. The reward for killing the Deerclops is the best spring survival hat in the game. Same goes for all the RoG giants. There's a reason why the caves/ruins weren't touched in the Reign of Giants expansion, because that entire expansion was about more content that caters to the CORE of what Don't Starve is meant to be.

Even setting the world gen to be lesser doesn't really do much to make the game harder, unless you turn stuff like pigs off, which you're then opting into removing content from the game purely because it can be abused.

Your probably playing with the wrong people if your not finding the game challenging anymore.. but from my experience on console DST- People Die And they Die quite often.. And when they die they become a ghost floating around in your world (and often times you have no idea where they were to go and revive them) other players ghosts drain your own sanity until you find and revive them but at the cost of your own health and healing glands.

So NO... DST is not significantly easier than DS.. And it’s not a base building party game, there is still very much some “Uncompromising” left in DST- you just gotta be playing with people who die often and you spend the next three hours trying to find them and bring them back to life to experience it.

45 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Your probably playing with the wrong people if your not finding the game challenging anymore.. but from my experience on console DST- People Die And they Die quite often.. And when they die they become a ghost floating around in your world (and often times you have no idea where they were to go and revive them) other players ghosts drain your own sanity until you find and revive them but at the cost of your own health and healing glands.

So NO... DST is not significantly easier than DS.. And it’s not a base building party game, there is still very much some “Uncompromising” left in DST- you just gotta be playing with people who die often and you spend the next three hours trying to find them and bring them back to life to experience it.

No offense, but it just sounds like the people you're playing with are bad at the game.  The fact I would have to cater to dead weight in order to be challenged seems silly and of poor design.

Allow another players make your game harder join on public meet up with random players. Join in later season when nice random players has get nice stuff just for you, some times its true some times it is even more true to begin fight for your existence on server as being with two legs.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Seconding that you and your friend are probably just bad.

Seriously, basic survival in this game is not difficult. Get a winter hat, a heat stone, learn to kite tallbirds or setup berry farms and then don't take stupid fights and it's pretty easy to not die.

Remember that Don't Starve was originally designed a game where if you died _once_ everything was gone. 

The funny thing, dear forumites, vast majority of players out there in Constant's deep dark forests of doom, the player-base bulk, struggle. They are the ones being munched by cats and spiders on first autumn, the ones going yellow-green with fear when that "very easy, most baby facile" hostile you guys laugh at, already-tenderly-stroking the 6 incoming-on-a-silver-plate Living Logs, rises in all its walking Ent glory; they are the ones when by Moon's hazy miracles survive Winter's come, are being totally obliterated by Clops with "baisu" and surroundings. They go on pubs, public server, the essence of fun madness and creative griefing, screaming in chat where's base day 2, what @Bleksmits actually underlines for those maddening adventures - it's casuals, not his friends. Trust me, the fun you'll have, dear forumites that play mostly alone, will be tenfold. Want PvP without actuall PvP? Go the pub way! Feel the slimy pleasure of tentacles spawned on gate courtesy of a kind granny, see the joyful Winona feeding their pet a Mandrake standing on fire and then pooping some Gunpowder beside your sleeping self for a BOOM melodic outro. See your base going in flames knowing you have a foxy wolf in your noobish flock and can do nothing about it, see that Wolf eating all fridge and more just to run around base Mighty while meme-ing in chat about Rick and Morty or SCPs, oh that Roboto gulping the gears chest and now smashing le flingos... you haven't seen scarcity and madness if you haven't bathed in public servers, the more the better for unmoderated, unadulterated sweet insanity - IRL insanity! :roll:

Time and again I also pointed this: imo what DST needs to be more interesting.. at least for a time, is a 2-steps difficulty incrementation: have a significant event that, after occurring, it changes the world - it makes it more dynamic, more alive, amps up difficulty, making it seem like world evolves with player's advancement. Have then that diseases-spreading toad proposal rotting all your world, structures included, feel the pleasure of Bee Queen and her majesty's nasty hordes of Grumbles stinging all-that's-alive in base to glorious thorny death, feel tornadoes, chills, blizzards, death and destruction, get sick yourself, bleed, crumble into dust and wither, all the calamity Klei could imagine and introduce us to its marvelous disaster. For a time, dear forumites, you'll be entertained.. in your solo world. Then you'll master this too. But pls, for the sake of rest of us loving the sandbox aspect, don't advocate for the DST becoming a giant wave-based mobs/bosses-rush Arena you gleefully seem to desire. Ty!

52 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

The funny thing, dear forumites, vast majority of players out there in Constant's deep dark forests of doom, the player-base bulk, struggle. They are the ones being munched by cats and spiders on first autumn, the ones going yellow-green with fear when that "very easy, most baby facile" hostile you guys laugh at already-tenderly-stroking the 6 incoming-on-a-silver-plate Living Logs rises in all its walking Ent glory, they are the ones when by Moon's hazy miracles survive Winter's come, are being totally obliterated by Clops with "baisu" and surroundings. They go on pubs, public server, the essence of fun madness and creative griefing, screaming in chat where's base day 2, what @Bleksmits actually underlines for those maddening adventures - it's casuals, not his friends. Trust me, the fun you'll have, dear forumites that play mostly alone, will be tenfold. Want PvP without actuall PvP? Go the pub way! Feel the slimy pleasure of tentacles spawned on gate courtesy of a kind granny, see the joyful Winona feeding their pet a Mandrake standing on fire and then pooping some Gunpowder beside your sleeping self for a BOOM melodic outro. See your base going in flames knowing you have a foxy wolf in your noobish flock and can do nothing about it, see that Wolf eating all fridge and more just to run around base Mighty while meme-ing in chat about Rick and Morty or SCPs, oh that Roboto gulping the gears chest and now smashing le flingos... you haven't seen scarcity and madness if you haven't bathed in public servers, the more the better for unmoderated, unadulterated sweet insanity! :roll:

Time and again I also pointed this: imo what DST needs to be more interesting.. at least for a time, is a 2-steps difficulty incrementation: have a significant event that, after occurring, it changes the world - it makes it more dynamic, more alive, amps up difficulty, making it seem like world evolves with player's advancement. Have then that diseases-spreading toad proposal rotting all your world, structures included, feel the pleasure of Bee Queen and her majesty's nasty hordes of Grumbles stinging all-that's-alive in base to glorious thorny death, feel tornadoes, chills, blizzards, death and destruction, get sick yourself, bleed, crumble into dust and wither, all the calamity Klei could imagine and introduce us to its marvelous disaster. For a time, dear forumites, you'll be entertained.. in your solo world. Then you'll master this too. But pls, for the sake of rest of us loving the sandbox aspect, don't advocate for the DST becoming a giant wave-based mobs/bosses-rush Arena you gleefully seem to desire. Ty!

Condescending word salad, while preventing your opponent from directly arguing your point by making it too confusing to understand, is usually poor form when making an argument.  Might I suggest actually saying directly what you want to say, or at least gracing us with a TL;DR.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

The funny thing, dear forumites, vast majority of players out there in Constant's deep dark forests of doom, the player-base bulk, struggle. They are the ones being munched by cats and spiders on first autumn, the ones going yellow-green with fear when that "very easy, most baby facile" hostile you guys laugh at already-tenderly-stroking the 6 incoming-on-a-silver-plate Living Logs rises in all its walking Ent glory, they are the ones when by Moon's hazy miracles survive Winter's come, are being totally obliterated by Clops with "baisu" and surroundings. They go on pubs, public server, the essence of fun madness and creative griefing, screaming in chat where's base day 2, what @Bleksmits actually underlines for those maddening adventures - it's casuals, not his friends. Trust me, the fun you'll have, dear forumites that play mostly alone, will be tenfold. Want PvP without actuall PvP? Go the pub way! Feel the slimy pleasure of tentacles spawned on gate courtesy of a kind granny, see the joyful Winona feeding their pet a Mandrake standing on fire and then pooping some Gunpowder beside your sleeping self for a BOOM melodic outro. See your base going in flames knowing you have a foxy wolf in your noobish flock and can do nothing about it, see that Wolf eating all fridge and more just to run around base Mighty while meme-ing in chat about Rick and Morty or SCPs, oh that Roboto gulping the gears chest and now smashing le flingos... you haven't seen scarcity and madness if you haven't bathed in public servers, the more the better for unmoderated, unadulterated sweet insanity! :roll:

As Mario384 said, a TL:DR would be nice, everytime i see your comments giving a argument, they always are so large and confusing, just do a TL:DR, is very hard to read all of this without losing your view on it.

Archived