On macOS Catalina, DST wants to log all keystrokes

I am now running macOS Catalina. When I launched Don't Starve Together, I was prompted to give it access to log all keystrokes even from other apps. Why does it need this permission? And especially, why does it need to log keystrokes from other applications?

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 23.38.57.png

• Developer

I am stumped by this as it doesn't.

I've been looking into why Catalina is saying it is - if you Google this message you'll see many apps have this problem. It's likely to do with how the game listens for keypresses or maybe the fact that we try to respond to Command-Q to quit.

We're definitely not actively trying to monitor input from other apps :|

• Developer

Well, I have no real idea what causes it so can't really ask for specific info, but - since you are an active Mac user you likely frequent news sources I don't. If you stumble across any lead in your travels I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

6 hours ago, bizziboi said:

It's likely to do with how the game listens for keypresses or maybe the fact that we try to respond to Command-Q to quit.

I'll go with the the first one.

There's a very useful "feature" under Windows that if you hold the <action key> for picking up items you can click off the window and do some browsing- the game does not pick up the <action key up> event in this case and your character continues to pick up things in the background.  This does not work under OS X, and as far as I know never has.

Archived