Sign in to follow this  
Tonyroid

Ranching Shove Voles for Unlimited Quantities of Meat

Recommended Posts

biopon    226

It's fun to see so many voles at the same time, but I am not sure why you're even considering grooming the secondary stable. You can literally keep all of them on one tile (they don't get confined), and they will still lay an egg when they get to age 55 or so. Any eggs coming from the breeders is growing this population, not maintaining it, like you said. They're like pacu, born with enough calories to reproduce while glum & unfed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chthonicone    88

Easier way to let a dupe get out of that second stables when the door locks: Build a ladder to a one way pneumatic door at the top. Dupes can exit that door, but not enter.

Or you could make that door on the right exit only.

Really, you just need a one way door, not a duplicant sensor.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tonyroid    246
1 hour ago, biopon said:

It's fun to see so many voles at the same time, but I am not sure why you're even considering grooming the secondary stable. You can literally keep all of them on one tile (they don't get confined), and they will still lay an egg when they get to age 55 or so. Any eggs coming from the breeders is growing this population, not maintaining it, like you said. They're like pacu, born with enough calories to reproduce while glum & unfed.

If you keep a vole confined and feed it one bite every 10 cycles so it doesn't die of starvation then it will lay an egg when it is 85 cycles old. If you don't feed it then it dies at about 45 cycles and doesn't lay an egg. In order to produce the same amount of meat, you'd need to maintain 2500 voles this way. It can theoretically be done but I don't know a practical way to feed the voles without letting them compete for food. As a result the unlucky voles starve to death and it seems to be impossible untenable to get a population that large.

Edited by Tonyroid
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chthonicone    88
11 minutes ago, Tonyroid said:

If you keep a vole confined and feed it one bite every 10 cycles so it doesn't die of starvation then it will lay an egg when it is 85 cycles old. If you don't feed it then it dies at about 45 cycles and doesn't lay an egg. In order to produce the same amount of meat, you'd need to maintain 2500 voles this way. It can theoretically be done but I don't know a practical way to feed the voles without letting them compete for food. As a result the unlucky voles starve to death and it seems to be impossible untenable to get a population that large.

I'm considering using the extra meat to feed hatches.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hackcasual    62
49 minutes ago, Chthonicone said:

I'm considering using the extra meat to feed hatches.

You could convert it to quite a few things by rotting it. Let it out gas pO2. From there you can make clay/O2, algae/pH2O.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
biopon    226
46 minutes ago, Tonyroid said:

If you keep a vole confined and feed it one bite every 10 cycles so it doesn't starve then it will lay an egg when it is 85 cycles old. In order to produce the same amount of meat, you'd need to maintain 2500 voles this way. It can theoretically be done but I don't know a practical way to feed the voles without letting them compete for food. As a result the unlucky voles starve to death and it seems to be impossible to get a population that large.

No, you are right, I apologize. The game says 2% per cycle for base reproduction, but that can't be. It's probably rounding up.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a1141326323cbcbc9dd4c827c02ac10e.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yank31    21

I've said it on youtube and will reiterate here : I really enjoy the way you present your content, very concise, clear, yet complete.

Good stuff, make more please :>

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tonyroid    246
2 hours ago, biopon said:

No, you are right, I apologize. The game says 2% per cycle for base reproduction, but that can't be. It's probably rounding up.

  Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.a1141326323cbcbc9dd4c827c02ac10e.png

 

That's a good point. I remember back when I expected 2% but wasn't getting it. It confused me.

3 hours ago, hackcasual said:

You could convert it to quite a few things by rotting it. Let it out gas pO2. From there you can make clay/O2, algae/pH2O.

It's true. Meat can be converted to just about anything in one way or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLACKBERREST3    232
6 hours ago, biopon said:
7 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

If you keep a vole confined and feed it one bite every 10 cycles so it doesn't starve then it will lay an egg when it is 85 cycles old. In order to produce the same amount of meat, you'd need to maintain 2500 voles this way. It can theoretically be done but I don't know a practical way to feed the voles without letting them compete for food. As a result the unlucky voles starve to death and it seems to be impossible to get a population that large.

No, you are right, I apologize. The game says 2% per cycle for base reproduction, but that can't be. It's probably rounding up.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:19 AM, biopon said:

Pacu and Voles are like this, I don't think you can pull this off with any other species.

Now you're telling me that voles work more like hatches than pacu.

 

3 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

That's a good point. I remember back when I expected 2% but wasn't getting it. It confused me.

It's 1.66% from what I can remember, it does round up.

7 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

but I don't know a practical way to feed the voles without letting them compete for food.

Time for another critter batch build.

Hey tony, your breeder stable looks like it can get stuck if you entomb all three mining drills at once. If you stick them on the ceiling, you will never have to worry about that.

Edited by BLACKBERREST3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tobruk    302
3 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Hey tony, your breeder stable looks like it can get stuck if you entomb all three mining drills at once. If you stick them on the ceiling, you will never have to worry about that.

he explained it in the vid - his reasoning is that the puked regolith is the coolant. By building it in the roof you're preventing the coolant from interacting with the building and no amount of thermium will save you

Edited by Tobruk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chthonicone    88
1 hour ago, Tobruk said:

he explained it in the vid - his reasoning is that the puked regolith is the coolant. By building it in the roof you're preventing the coolant from interacting with the building and no amount of thermium will save you

Yeah, that part I personally wouldn't use myself though. No reason to leave the heat in the regolith to be deleted like that when you could use it to power your base, and result in regolith that is normal temperature. Then it makes no sense to have a vacuum at all, and normal cooling can take place.

Edited by Chthonicone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tobruk    302
Just now, Chthonicone said:

Yeah, that part I personally wouldn't use myself though. No reason to leave the heat in the regolith to be deleted like that when you could use it to power your base, and result in regolith that is normal temperature. Then it makes no sense to have a vacuum at all, and normal cooling can take place.

Yes, there are two "schools of thought". One is - maximise heat deletion by eating, and second - transfer that heat elsewhere. Not to say one is necesarily wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tonyroid    246
8 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Hey tony, your breeder stable looks like it can get stuck if you entomb all three mining drills at once. If you stick them on the ceiling, you will never have to worry about that.

You are right. The reason I didn't do that is because of the way I'm keeping the buildings cool. But it can certainly be done that way. Getting all three of them stuck at once is an extremely rare thing. I think I've only seen it happen one time in thousands of cycles (and it might have been a different problem). Also, if you stick them on the ceiling then you only need one.

4 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

Yeah, that part I personally wouldn't use myself though. No reason to leave the heat in the regolith to be deleted like that when you could use it to power your base, and result in regolith that is normal temperature. Then it makes no sense to have a vacuum at all, and normal cooling can take place.

It's true. But then I'd have to include a regolith cooler in the video, and that sounds like work.

4 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

Yeah, that part I personally wouldn't use myself though. No reason to leave the heat in the regolith to be deleted like that when you could use it to power your base, and result in regolith that is normal temperature. Then it makes no sense to have a vacuum at all, and normal cooling can take place.

BTW. If you use the regolith to heat steam for turbines, you can literally use your steam room as a shove vole stable. It's a neat way to go.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tobruk    302
52 minutes ago, Tonyroid said:

you can literally use your steam room as a shove vole stable

That's a simple spell, yet quite unbreakable 

Edited by Tobruk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tonyroid    246
29 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

That's a simple spell, yet quite unbreakable 

I'm getting a lot of feedback about people wanting to put the robo miners on the ceiling. I think I'm going to make a video of this steam room trick that keeps everything cool AND gets some power out of the regolith.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chthonicone    88
7 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

I'm getting a lot of feedback about people wanting to put the robo miners on the ceiling. I think I'm going to make a video of this steam room trick that keeps everything cool AND gets some power out of the regolith.

Don't forget this time: One way door is superior to a locked door with a duplicant sensor on the other side that keeps a door open for you inside.

One way doors are nice overall, but I always get confused which is left and right when you turn them side ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RonEmpire    434

If you have a ceiling of pneumatic doors and robo miner above it you won't need to worry about it being entombed. Since they won't cross the doors along the ceiling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLACKBERREST3    232
8 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

If you have a ceiling of pneumatic doors and robo miner above it you won't need to worry about it being entombed. Since they won't cross the doors along the ceiling. 

:wilson_facepalm:

23 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

I'm getting a lot of feedback about people wanting to put the robo miners on the ceiling. I think I'm going to make a video of this steam room trick that keeps everything cool AND gets some power out of the regolith.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this