Walani in DST

5 hours ago, Lammarr said:

Do you see surfers walking around with cutlass supremes?

Just the AWESOME ones.  :)

...am I the only one who read "The Goose is 'naked', other than Walani" and immediately imagined the goose in like, maybe a nice suit-vest and tie? XD  I mean, the other way to make them both match up WOULD be to _put_ clothes on the naked one, after all...

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

* Is lazy when sane.

When above 80% sanity, Walani slows down in multiple aspects.
-95% movement speed.
-20% longer swing speed.
-100% longer crafting / picking time.
-Hunger drain is reduced to 90%.

When below 80% sanity, Walani's hunger drain increases to 120%.

YES.  I'm very glad somebody brought this up before I did.  There's a very, very big reason why slow is bad, and it's not because it's annoying.

It's because DEATH!!!  Death death death death death death death.

-_95%_ are you HIGH?!  That's an _insane_ number!  You know how I always talk about staying the phrack out of the Antlion's desert in the summer when hounds show up?  THIS IS THAT!  Only it happens _every_ time you're sane, regardless of location or season.  

And I don't CARE how popular "you _should_ be insane all the time!" is as a (power-player type only) policy, it should NOT be an actual canon game mechanic!  In order to move _normally_, and not be just murdered by every hostile thing that sees me, I'd _have_ to be at least a little bit insane...ALL THE TIME?!  Heck that!  Sanity is AMAZING!  You get to see colours and the voices shut up!

And then, when you _are_ insane enough to move normally...you get hungier.  What are you going for here, another "no real passive upside at all" hardmode character?

The one Shipwrecked mod I (used to) use...I think her different mechanics include a _slight_ higher hunger drain all the time (not anywhere near Wolfgang's level) and a _slight_ less problem with sanity, and, that's it.  THAT'S playable.  That's the character I did three chapters' worth of the "March of Civliization" challenge with, and that was _before_ I learned the weird new thing the (mod) surfboard could do. (You can..."surf" between ponds as if they were wormholes.  This was before the actual ocean got put in.  I think maybe WHICH pond you come out at might be randomised, though.)  I get that a character should have downsides.

But this...THIS is Wes 2.0  This is ABSOLUTELY "If you want to actually _enjoy_ your time playing the game, never ever ever pick this character."  We already have that.  He's called Warly.  (Sorry Warly fans.  I like him as a character _concept_, but he's ANNOYING AS HELL TO ACTUALLY PLAY and that's the Shipwrecked version.  The DST one is substantially _worse_!)  There's "extra challenge", and then there's AN-NOY-ING.

It'll be waaaaaaayyyy long before they add another older character, if any, but dear GOD don't gimp her this much.  Let her freaking _move_.  Hounds show up frequently and theyr'e _already faster than you_.  Need to dodge quickly through killer bee country?  Nope!  Need to get the hell out of that bishop's range?  Nope.  How 'bout weaving through Sudden Tallbird Territory?  Sorry, you're not insane enough sweetie.  Those downsides are just BEYOND ridiculous, both in terms of how freaking _high_ the numbers are (NINETY-FIVE PERCENT??? 80 PERCENT? _ONE HUNDRED FRELLING PERCENT_?????) and in terms of the _amount_ of time you'd be like thisI  get the idea of showing her "laziness", but DEAR...CHRIST, _these_ numbers?!  Can't you tone it down a LITTLE?

Here's an alternate idea:  Crafting, farming and resource gathering all give her slight sanity debuffs while doing them, because she hates hard work so much.  Hmmm?  Hmmm?  After a while this WOULD add up, 'cos you have to do a _lot_ of those things on any given day, usually.

Also don't make it a constant thing.  Sandstorm + dogs is horrible but _temporary_.  I don't want to have to be obnoxiously slow and able to get hit by everything ALL DAY EVERY DAY.  Not everyone has amazing armour on hand all the time, and whoops, did yours break?  Do you actually indeed _have_ the materials in your inventory, but haven't MADE the spare set yet?  -100 crafting time, beeyotch.  Enjoy your teeth marks.  Oh, also don't even _think_ about making another torch in time if you  overestimated how long yours was gonna last.  You are Charlie's LUNCH.

Yeah there's just no physical way this would work and you can't convince me otherwise.  SLOW.  EQUALS.  DEATH! 

I"m sorry I sound so angry in this, but...I am.  It just was not thought through at all.  Also...I don't care how "gud" you are, NOBODY can kite at only _five percent_ movement speed. 

TL;DR:  No.

...Notorious

13 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Just the AWESOME ones.  :)

...am I the only one who read "The Goose is 'naked', other than Walani" and immediately imagined the goose in like, maybe a nice suit-vest and tie? XD  I mean, the other way to make them both match up WOULD be to _put_ clothes on the naked one, after all...

YES.  I'm very glad somebody brought this up before I did.  There's a very, very big reason why slow is bad, and it's not because it's annoying.

It's because DEATH!!!  Death death death death death death death.

-_95%_ are you HIGH?!  That's an _insane_ number!  You know how I always talk about staying the phrack out of the Antlion's desert in the summer when hounds show up?  THIS IS THAT!  Only it happens _every_ time you're sane, regardless of location or season.  

And I don't CARE how popular "you _should_ be insane all the time!" is as a (power-player type only) policy, it should NOT be an actual canon game mechanic!  In order to move _normally_, and not be just murdered by every hostile thing that sees me, I'd _have_ to be at least a little bit insane...ALL THE TIME?!  Heck that!  Sanity is AMAZING!  You get to see colours and the voices shut up!

And then, when you _are_ insane enough to move normally...you get hungier.  What are you going for here, another "no real passive upside at all" hardmode character?

The one Shipwrecked mod I (used to) use...I think her different mechanics include a _slight_ higher hunger drain all the time (not anywhere near Wolfgang's level) and a _slight_ less problem with sanity, and, that's it.  THAT'S playable.  That's the character I did three chapters' worth of the "March of Civliization" challenge with, and that was _before_ I learned the weird new thing the (mod) surfboard could do. (You can..."surf" between ponds as if they were wormholes.  This was before the actual ocean got put in.  I think maybe WHICH pond you come out at might be randomised, though.)  I get that a character should have downsides.

But this...THIS is Wes 2.0  This is ABSOLUTELY "If you want to actually _enjoy_ your time playing the game, never ever ever pick this character."  We already have that.  He's called Warly.  (Sorry Warly fans.  I like him as a character _concept_, but he's ANNOYING AS HELL TO ACTUALLY PLAY and that's the Shipwrecked version.  The DST one is substantially _worse_!)  There's "extra challenge", and then there's AN-NOY-ING.

It'll be waaaaaaayyyy long before they add another older character, if any, but dear GOD don't gimp her this much.  Let her freaking _move_.  Hounds show up frequently and theyr'e _already faster than you_.  Need to dodge quickly through killer bee country?  Nope!  Need to get the hell out of that bishop's range?  Nope.  How 'bout weaving through Sudden Tallbird Territory?  Sorry, you're not insane enough sweetie.  Those downsides are just BEYOND ridiculous, both in terms of how freaking _high_ the numbers are (NINETY-FIVE PERCENT??? 80 PERCENT? _ONE HUNDRED FRELLING PERCENT_?????) and in terms of the _amount_ of time you'd be like thisI  get the idea of showing her "laziness", but DEAR...CHRIST, _these_ numbers?!  Can't you tone it down a LITTLE?

Here's an alternate idea:  Crafting, farming and resource gathering all give her slight sanity debuffs while doing them, because she hates hard work so much.  Hmmm?  Hmmm?  After a while this WOULD add up, 'cos you have to do a _lot_ of those things on any given day, usually.

Also don't make it a constant thing.  Sandstorm + dogs is horrible but _temporary_.  I don't want to have to be obnoxiously slow and able to get hit by everything ALL DAY EVERY DAY.  Not everyone has amazing armour on hand all the time, and whoops, did yours break?  Do you actually indeed _have_ the materials in your inventory, but haven't MADE the spare set yet?  -100 crafting time, beeyotch.  Enjoy your teeth marks.  Oh, also don't even _think_ about making another torch in time if you  overestimated how long yours was gonna last.  You are Charlie's LUNCH.

Yeah there's just no physical way this would work and you can't convince me otherwise.  SLOW.  EQUALS.  DEATH! 

I"m sorry I sound so angry in this, but...I am.  It just was not thought through at all.  Also...I don't care how "gud" you are, NOBODY can kite at only _five percent_ movement speed. 

TL;DR:  No.

...Notorious

No offense but you should calm down, it’s just a video game.

35 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

snip

Oh my god, no no no no no no no, jesus christ no

By 95% I meant 5% less movement speed than 100%. not being slowed down TO 5% movement speed! I need to edit that, right now.

Unfortunately I don't think the possibility of her being added will appear any time soon considering the mindset of the developers. 

Think about it, one day someone laid out each character from the DLC's (Hamlet & SW) in a meeting and decided which one unanimously they liked most of all the candidates. Walani, Woodlegs, Wilbur, Warly, Wheeler (technically Warbucks as well), Wilba, and Wormwood were all on the chopping block and only 2 made the cut in the end. They could have asked the community who they wanted in DST or even plan to add them all at once, but they didn't want to because of the plans they had and the direction they wanted to take them in.

As much as I'd hate to say it, the idea of her being ported over any time in the near future is as likely as the devs "removing" a character from the roster, as it sounds just as feasible in concept. I personally wanted Warbucks back ever since he was removed, but that's never going to happen and I just need to get used to it (not to sound harsh) and look toward the future with newer more exciting things instead; I will give the same advice that was given to everyone else that wanted Warbucks back during his removal to get them to stop complaining, just use a mod *snicker*.

Walani (DST):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577661340&searchtext=walani

We already have woodie who can explore the sea and find lunar island in few days.

And her stuff can be only used by her so she doesn’t have any synergy with other.

If we ever needed a character with sea perks then he could be able to build special boats.

~Walani DST ideas~  200 H, 200 S, 120 HP

~Upgraded~

Surfboard - same as before but can share with others (1 board, 5 petals)

Water Impervious - 30% dryness, 30% water resistance

Is Chill - 50% on all passive sanity auras (tam is useless but can hold dark swords 2x longer then Wilson)

Munchies - gets hunger 20% faster than Wilson

~New~

Flower power - Walani can catch butterfly without a bug-net (her quote said she likes growing flowers)

Ukulele Aura - when played it spawns a aura to kill all nightmares within the circle and slows down any mob by 25% (1 living log, 3 silk) (it kills shadow monkeys too but not normal monkeys)

Is Haunted - the captain ghost pirate is aggressive towards Walani's, and will follow till killed; He Spawn every full moon and is 2x stronger than Abby but slow as a normal ghost (25% to drop teasure map when killed)

maybe Walani can craft music boxes that give different effects (has range effects like flingo)

Chilled box - slows mobs by 25%

Octo-box - collects basic materials

11-box -  hurts mobs ears dealing 34 dmg every 3 secs

6 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

maybe Walani can craft music boxes that give different effects (has range effects like flingo)

Chilled box - slows mobs by 25%

Octo-box - collects basic materials

11-box -  hurts mobs ears dealing 34 dmg every 3 secs

More Realistically.. Walani can craft Surfboards for herself and then give them to other players- Walani Surfboards will move and function exactly the way hers did in Shipwrecked.. HOWEVER..

this wont make the current round boat cookie- things completely Obsolete because- You can place structures and build a nice sized survivable base on the Cookie.. You can’t carry ANYTHING with you on the Surfboards, so no Pickaxe for mining salt rocks Etc... not even FOOD to munch on (you can still carry it in your inventory but you can’t access it until you reach land, because When your Surfing your main focus isn’t chewing on KFC... it’s trying not to have a major WIPE OUT.)

With as much focus as Klei has been doing on small but fun Little Mini-Games, Maybe Walani can come with with A Surfing Mini-Game where you can challenge your friends to see who can perform the wildest tricks or catch the most waves or something?

(I know waves ain’t a thing in DST.... And Walani Isn’t happy about that.)

Wave-Generator- A Device that can be placed in water to pulsate your own Waves, for the purpose of Surfing Obviously.. nothing else.

Walani’s Surfboards are another good reason why the Boat Kits seriously need to be nerfed.. No one would ever Rely on Walani’s Surfboards when they can just place a few wooden planks in the water and merrily Hop all around the map. 

Archived