Getting Thermium?

So, I have been for a few hundreds cycles building my rockets and doing researches and some explorations. Yet, I have not been able to get thermium, which limit me in building some machines (for example a sour gas boiler or handling some volcanoes after they erupted and no longer in a vacuum) so I searched how I could get it.

I'm playing on an Oasisse map and I do not have a Glimmering Planet on my space map. I have searched the content of all planets up to 70km (oxylite + petroleum engine),

Is there another way of getting some Wolframite / Tungsten so I can get Thermium? I know that Niobum with a +500C is good for some equipment but to build a big mass, it takes a lot of time when compared to getting Thermium. Maybe another planter I could search for, hoping to get that material? I was hoping to see some on the Carbon planet or on the Interstaller Ice but I have not found any yet.

46 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

You can melt abyssalite and insulation.  Both of those melt in to tungsten for come reason.

They do? I will have to look at my options here, especially for what kind of temperature I can reach and handle without Termium.

Thanks for the hint.

Edit: After checking, how can you mel them, considering they require 3400+ temperature? Volcanoes does not go that up. Does Hydrogen rockets can go that high? If notm what other options are there to do this?

12 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Nope just Glimmering, sorry bud. Playing on planets other than default should be challenging and different imo.

I love the challenge and it took me quite a while to reach space because of that planet choice. And I did not pick a frozen core because I wanted to handle the heat and not the cold in this game. Yet, I though that all planets were there on each map yet not on the same order (it is my first time playing up to rockets). Seems I am wrong on this one.

1 hour ago, Yannick Vachon said:

After checking, how can you mel them, considering they require 3400+ temperature? Volcanoes does not go that up. Does Hydrogen rockets can go that high? If notm what other options are there to do this?

You can use liquid metals as coolant in metal refineries.  I would start by using magma as a coolant to get molten iron, then use molten iron to get molten steel.  Molten steel can get up to 3800 C, which is hot enough to melt tungsten.

I'm not sure about using rockets.  It might work, but I haven't tried it. 

45 minutes ago, Yannick Vachon said:

How can you pump magma into pipe without Thermium Or Tungsten. I tried in debug and things breaks directly. Even Thermium pump melt.

Pumping metal could be possible, using a refinerie, but the only examples I found on the forum are using exploits...

Not sure why you think molten metal is easier than magma for this. 

The difficulty is getting the magma or liquid metal in to pipes once.  If you build a pump in magma or a pool of molten metal, it will function for a while before it breaks or melts, putting the liquid in to the pipes.  Once it is in the pipes, you can cycle it through the refinery then to what is being heated then to the refinery over and over.  This approach is easy for everything up to steel, as a steel pump will melt in molten steel.

Additionally, you can pump without it being in contact with the liquid. 

9 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Molten metals have SHC ranging down to 0.2, magma has SHC of 1.0. use a metal, you'll put more heat into the melting process and less into your coolant.

28 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

For melting insulation? Rock gas maybe?

18 minutes ago, avc15 said:

Molten metals have SHC ranging down to 0.2, magma has SHC of 1.0. use a metal, you'll put more heat into the melting process and less into your coolant.

Does this matter though? I mean clearly magma is not usable for this, but if it were: you may heat up molten metal faster, but it also cools down faster. SHC in your coolant is not very relevant I think, the energy is only there temporarily.

20 minutes ago, biopon said:

For melting insulation? Rock gas maybe?

Does this matter though? I mean clearly magma is not usable for this, but if it were: you may heat up molten metal faster, but it also cools down faster. SHC in your coolant is not very relevant I think, the energy is only there temporarily.

It's relevant because 80% less heat sinks into your working fluidt. Yes, you want the lowest shc in this scenario.

But yes, rock gas. Very strong reason not to use magma.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

I was referring to molten metal because someone else told me before in this thread to check that. As for having magma in the pipes, I understand.

There is one problem I can't figure out: What material to use for the pipe so it does not break when it is time to send the heat from the magma to the thing to heat up (being abysalitle, insulation, other thing). From radiant pipes, any metal breaks (except tungsten that I do not have since it is the goal to get it) and even regular pipes breaks when the magma turns back to rocks because it is too cold.

As well, for your thrad, it is clearly an exploit so I will not go there. Testing in debug is one thing but I want legit stuff, even if not as efficient :)

59 minutes ago, Yannick Vachon said:

There is one problem I can't figure out: What material to use for the pipe so it does not break when it is time to send the heat from the magma to the thing to heat up (being abysalitle, insulation, other thing). From radiant pipes, any metal breaks (except tungsten that I do not have since it is the goal to get it) and even regular pipes breaks when the magma turns back to rocks because it is too cold.

I believe you would actually vent the steel out of the pipes and then pump it again, using insulated insulation pipes to get the steel where it needed to be and using airflow tiles to contain it (as it doesn't conduct heat with the steel).  So I was wrong about only having to do it once.  Or you could make the pipe out of insulation and wait for a very very very long time.

1 hour ago, Yannick Vachon said:

As well, for your thrad, it is clearly an exploit so I will not go there. Testing in debug is one thing but I want legit stuff, even if not as efficient

Isn't everything an exploit?  I would argue that the metal refinery is a more egregious exploit than the pump one honestly.

I guess this is why I never succeeded in doing this: I though the heat from a liquid would radiate toward something to melt. Not that it would melt the pipes itself by being too hot.

Will see how it goes but as I said, since it is a bit cheesy, I may start over a new map. I was enjoying my 2200 cycles map though...

Even if i don't like that, this is why i checked the starmap before starting my game: to be sure there is a glimmering asteroid and also a terrestrial planet (bristle blossom seeds) as i play on aridio without large glaciers or frozen core. and no care packages.

4 hours ago, bobe17 said:

Even if i don't like that, this is why i checked the starmap before starting my game: to be sure there is a glimmering asteroid and also a terrestrial planet (bristle blossom seeds) as i play on aridio without large glaciers or frozen core. and no care packages.

Yeah, I do not mind having to go to 120000km or more to get wolframite or tungsten as it increase the difficulty. Having no source at all just put a limit of your gameplay that blocks you from going above, except with exploits.

Guess i will decide what I do next then.

Thanks for the info on this subject.

I had a flash of insight:

1. The molten glass from a glass refinery could be used instead of lava. It has a worse SHC than lava but doesn’t need a pump.

2. Molten steel won’t instantly melt a niobium pump, but will overheat it rapidly. However, you should be able to feed it molten steel slowly enough that it doesn’t heat up much, then cool it down, then repeat. This might also keep the pipes from getting damaged.

3. Avoid using pipes whenever possible. Use liquid bridges wherever you can, and build everything as close together as possible.

Archived