What to do with all that rust?

3 hours ago, MathisMiraculix said:

Hi, playing Oni since Alpha, but this is my first post here. You guys have any idea what I could do with all that rust? Obviously use it for oxydisers, but don't really need them, or melt it down, but I'm somehow thinking I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

Rust is meant to be a source of oxygen that is useful for some maps, and doesn't require water to be used. It has a byproduct of producing chlorine gas for disinfecting stuff, and iron ore.

If you don't need any of that, there really isn't a purpose to it.

Melt it into iron.

This is one of the projects I have on the list, for when there are no crises' to be fought. Steel as a metal refinery coolant, and a good heat exchanger should allow for relatively low-effort and hight-speed rust melting.

But this will raise a new question: what to do with 900 tons of iron?

You could automate turning the rust into iron and and vent the chlorine and possibly oxygen into space if you don't need it.

Early game I find the rust deoxidizer pretty useful. It's labor intensive and not as efficient as electrolyzing water, but it provides oxygen for little power. The chlorine can be eaten by a few salt vines at that point. Two wheezeworts seem to be enough to cool keep things relatively cool

28 minutes ago, avc15 said:

Even if you don't need oxygen,, donruss deoxidizers anyway. Process creates a huge amount of iron ore, very useful.

I'm asking because I've never bothered building a high temp melting machine, but do you find sacrificing 47% of the rust as oxygen and chlorine is a whorthwhile tradeoff to saving some salt and not having to heat/cool the rust/iron to/from 1535C?

You can build a similar setup to oxygen generator setups, where o2 and chlorine is seperated by geametry. And use conveyor loaders to input salt and rust, and output the iron ore. Pretty much another oxygen generation. I rather use the rust now so that i have excess chlorine for my disinfection chambers,

It helps to have some automation research, and a metal volcano open that's far from the base. If i find these, i rather use water elsewhere.

Archived