Sign in to follow this  
Moah

1500c Lava Biome cooled down to 400c in a few circles...

Recommended Posts

Moah    57
Posted (edited)

...is way too easy!

Just dig down, use the material to build tempshift plates to reset temperature and vioala..

 

My actual challenge is to freeze Adiros Lava Biome. But on the way i see its really easy. :(

 

Spoiler

FreezeLavaBiome_1.thumb.jpg.f98c9be58b90e294ce830e4cdeeb8b13.jpg

It took me about 30 Cicles to remove the half Lava Biome and when i deconstruct the tempshifts and rebuild them the lava biome will be down to 100c in maybe next 50 Circles??

i am not sure it the temperature reset when you build something is still a feature. It feels like a bug.

Spoiler

FreezeLavaBiome_2.thumb.jpg.ce5a7a78d6d4129340dddad9304835c2.jpg

 

Edited by Moah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,348
Posted (edited)

Definitely a feature so you don't have to micro manage which materials they grab for which projects. Been in the game since forever, or just about.

Very diligent usage of it. You earned your biome. Did you isolate your other igneous rock so they didn't grab it for those projects?

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moah    57
Posted (edited)

Yes, i isolated all other igneous rock before. Obsidian is used up with tempshipft plates to reset temperature in a cooled "room", so it is "cooled down" from ~1300c to ~20c in a second.

 

Once the Lava Biome was so scary, it looked so dangerous, so very, very RED!  But it seems its more like a walk in spring.

 

Edited by Moah
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OxCD    387
38 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

What a fine waste of heat energy, eh?

Only for players who like temporary setup, as magma biome is limited. And spread.

So depending on the gameplay 

Personnaly I aim for perpetual setup only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zOldBulldog    15
17 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Definitely a feature so you don't have to micro manage which materials they grab for which projects. Been in the game since forever, or just about.

Very diligent usage of it. You earned your biome. Did you isolate your other igneous rock so they didn't grab it for those projects?

Do you mean that when you build something the original temperature of the materials is reset?   To what temperature?

I might have been pointlessly trying to store materials of different temperatures separate from each other.   If it doesn't matter because of temp reset at construction I might just put them all together in a single dispenser pit and not only reduce lag but also make much better looking bases!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,348
3 hours ago, zOldBulldog said:

Do you mean that when you build something the original temperature of the materials is reset?   To what temperature?

Only if it exceeds 15 to 45 degrees C. Then it is clamped to one of those.

Except when you build with ice, then there is no minimum.

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SVV    10
1 hour ago, zOldBulldog said:

I might have been pointlessly trying to store materials of different temperatures separate from each other.   If it doesn't matter because of temp reset at construction I might just put them all together in a single dispenser pit and not only reduce lag but also make much better looking bases!
 

I wouldn't do that for several reasons.
1. Temperature clamped only when construction finished, before that materials exchange heat with surroundings. That is minor problem because exchange is usually slow.
2. Upper bound(45C degrees) is more than most plants require, so you will need to cool your farm if you use hot materials.
3. You are creating a heat bombs that dups can drop anywhere in your base, just like slime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zOldBulldog    15

I am still not clear about how this temp reset works.

 

Do only materials over 45C get temp reset to 45C when constructed?
Do materials under 45C retain their temperature during construction?

So, let's say I dig material from oil biome (100-200C) and use it inside my base to make a farm, will the farm be instantly "too hot" and need to be cooled before use?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,348
25 minutes ago, zOldBulldog said:

Do only materials over 45C get temp reset to 45C when constructed?
Do materials under 45C retain their temperature during construction?

Yes, only after construction. They exchange heat as debris prior to construction finishing.

Build hot stuff in a vacuum, then deconstruct and bring it to your base if you want to use this.

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobucles    328

If there's enough potential heat deletion to win against magma, how useful would this trick be to... say... tame a steam geyser? Slashing off the upper 50C is definitely a very powerful amount of heat control. The main cost of course is dupe labor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,348
10 hours ago, bobucles said:

If there's enough potential heat deletion to win against magma, how useful would this trick be to... say... tame a steam geyser? Slashing off the upper 50C is definitely a very powerful amount of heat control. The main cost of course is dupe labor.

800kg of rock tempshift acts as 200kg of rock heat capacity, which is less than 1/4th that of water. So one tempshift plate will bring about 45kg of steam to 80C. Do it twice for about 65C.

Pretty bad returns at these temperatures.

It's great for a clean up job, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this