Sign in to follow this  
NoodleFish

Rocket boosters MELTED

NoodleFish    6

So I had a strange experience when playing. My petroleum (2x fuel, 1x solid oxidiser) research rocket returned from 40 000 km away. And as it landed, it melted 1 obsidian tile below it, my iron power wires, and the actual petroleum rocket booster.

I noticed something similar happened in one of Brothgar's videos with his hydrogen engine. Is this a normal thing?

Steve Raptor    140

I had weird shenanigans with obsidian as well.

There is a ladder made out of obsidian in my silo and when the rocket lands, for a brief second, the entire ladder turns into magma and then turns back into ladder...its really odd.

chemie    649
Posted (edited)

I use steel for wires and automation in the 4 tile rocket travel path and 4 bunker tiles where it lands.  obsidian for ladders near by.  still get weird things melting but never the rocket parts.  being entirely in vacuum helps but tall rockets often have a portion that has non vacuum background which might contribute?

Edited by chemie

nakomaru    1,348
Posted (edited)

Anything below 3200K melting point, including steel and obsidian, can melt under rocket fire without proper cooling.

When you have a turbine cooled silo with an atmosphere of exhaust, you can stay below 350C and even aluminum will be fine.

Solid boosters count as an extra engine and probably double or triple the dry heat, so cooling is even more important there.

Edited by nakomaru

NoodleFish    6
9 hours ago, Steve8 said:

Check their melting point. Not that surprising

Valid point. I think I'm just surprised that the rocket itself melted. Will have to look into doing some cooling around there