Rocket boosters MELTED

So I had a strange experience when playing. My petroleum (2x fuel, 1x solid oxidiser) research rocket returned from 40 000 km away. And as it landed, it melted 1 obsidian tile below it, my iron power wires, and the actual petroleum rocket booster.

I noticed something similar happened in one of Brothgar's videos with his hydrogen engine. Is this a normal thing?

I use steel for wires and automation in the 4 tile rocket travel path and 4 bunker tiles where it lands.  obsidian for ladders near by.  still get weird things melting but never the rocket parts.  being entirely in vacuum helps but tall rockets often have a portion that has non vacuum background which might contribute?

Anything below 3200K melting point, including steel and obsidian, can melt under rocket fire without proper cooling.

When you have a turbine cooled silo with an atmosphere of exhaust, you can stay below 350C and even aluminum will be fine.

Solid boosters count as an extra engine and probably double or triple the dry heat, so cooling is even more important there.

Archived