Tiny tutorial for A flat step-free waterlock

Hi guys, I am sure many of us are using waterlocks. I have seen quite some but many are based on steps and troughs. I would like to share a water lock where your dupes can run through, which I believe many have already known anyway, but just in case.

So, before you go into where you want to lock the gas,

1. build a structure like this. Make sure the bottom of the mesh tileis free to flow away. image.thumb.png.b2d64df7b4c413daf02e6a6bd89b8b72.png

2. Fill in polluted water, then water, it should look like this.

image.thumb.png.3f2fce5d0a89db2dc666ded092a9ef2b.png

3. dig out the rock and you are good to go.

image.thumb.png.3f85b9fd3729c2c1f6948aa7638beb60.png

4. Please note that the method sometimes ( I have not figured out why ) will not work if you are building the water lock from left towards right. (Exactly the same operation and sometimes the water will just flow away from the polluted water). If you cant get it to work from left to right, build a ladder and blocks to go over to right side to build it from right to left.

Below is a failed attempt to  build it from left to right. The water dropped down itself.

image.thumb.png.616d28bf4a45398a84bd7339d628c188.png

It collapses when you deconstruct the bottom tile first. To preserve the lock, always deconstruct from the top down.

This type of lock will also be displaced by off gassing, farts, and breathing. To prevent those cases, use at least 2kg of naphtha on the bottom. They are also subject to instantaneous boiling when passing hot debris through them, which ~33kg of naphtha will largely mitigate.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

It collapses when you deconstruct the bottom tile first. To preserve the lock, always deconstruct from the top down.

This type of lock will also be displaced by off gassing, farts, and breathing. To prevent those cases, use at least 2kg of naphtha on the bottom. They are also subject to instantaneous boiling when passing hot debris through them, which ~33kg of naphtha will largely mitigate.

That is much appreciated. Naphtha is certainly better.

11 hours ago, Z0366 said:

Below is a failed attempt to  build it from left to right. The water dropped down itself.

image.thumb.png.616d28bf4a45398a84bd7339d628c188.png

This one failed because the clean water was put down first, not because it was left to right.  I've used this method a lot.  Put the heaviest liquid first or you'll run into problems.

1 hour ago, FSharpDotNet said:

Isn't polluted water a bad option for this? doesn't it slowly turn into oxygen? or does it just produce oxygen without any cost?

No, you're right. Polluted water is a poor choice for water locks. It's not too bad in the long run due to how little there is and how rarely it offgasses. But it's better to use the other 3 waters, crude oil, petroleum or even naphtha. 

7 hours ago, FSharpDotNet said:

Isn't polluted water a bad option for this? doesn't it slowly turn into oxygen? or does it just produce oxygen without any cost?

PW only offgasses straight up, last time I checked. Fine in this sort of build.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, TLW said:

PW only offgasses straight up, last time I checked. Fine in this sort of build.

Well I'll be damned. Wish I had known this months ago.  :D

Spoiler

20191016143052_1.thumb.jpg.3b94fb673636d18835d9817884d39db7.jpg

The majority of 2 cycles in and only offgassing up. Over 2kg has offgassed in the right hand container.

1 minute ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Wait what!

Are emission rates the same even if you unblock the sides?

I would assume so as the emission rate is hard coded to be a certain chance (0.1%) to convert a certain percentage of the mass (0.1%) every tick.  I just assumed that all 4 adjacent tiles were valid targets of the off gassed PO and it turns out that that assumption was a bad one. Just another reason to use bottles instead of freestanding Polluted Water if you're wanting the off gas effect to create oxygen.

Interesting. I've always had this misconception. I wonder if it came from there being a patch and I didn't know about it or from watching a past brothgar video. I've seen so many weird builds where they encase polluted water in airflow tiles with surrounding space trying to get it to offgas. No one even thought of doing a simple test like this.

On a side note, Oxylite blocks offgas equally on all four sides.

2 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I put something like 1000T of PW into one tile and it off gasses plenty, requires no dupe labor, and doesn't produce contaminated PO. Better than bottles once you max strength.

How do u do that please? Would that not crack the walls? I do know that I can store gas indefinitely by cheat the pressure at the gas outlet but how do u do this? Plz it will save quite some space in my colony

Just now, Z0366 said:

How do u do that please? Would that not crack the walls?

Certain tiles that are made of raw/refined metals are not susceptible to pressure damage. The only thing that I know of that this does not apply to is the pacu feeder which does take pressure damage.

Just now, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Certain tiles that are made of raw/refined metals are not susceptible to pressure damage. The only thing that I know of that this does not apply to is the pacu feeder which does take pressure damage.

but how do you squeeze the liquid in? The outlet stops working at 1ton.

Bottom liquid e.g. 200kg of anything heavier than PW, e.g. brine. Any tile below and to the sides. Liquid vent in e.g. brine.

Pump PW to this. PW exits above.

Sides of PW is airflow. Above PW is airflow. You're done.

But from there I recommend a bypass pump to suck out the 500kg of PO2 you will get to a vacuum in moments.

I can post my setup in about 8 hours.

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Put something like 1000T of PW into one tile and it off gasses plenty, requires no dupe labor, and doesn't produce contaminated PO. Better than bottles once you max strength.

I've done this and can vouch that it works very well. I've just always kept it open all the way around. Now I know to concentrate on just the top layer. 

I do still prefer bottles from either algae terrariums or deconstructed liquid reservoirs for generating PO from PH2O, but this is purely a personal preference, not a claim that it might be a better technique. 

@BLACKBERREST3, thanks for posting the link. I love the info we got from Mathmanican, Saturnus, and others. 

Here's the combo I use in my base. If I want extra from the vent I can just deconstruct the barrier. The tiles to the left/right of the bottom liquid can be normal tiles.

As you can see to the right of the PW is vacuum, so you can confirm it never off-gasses sideways.

Several important parts of this were designed by @mathmanican.

7.thumb.gif.4d5ec312abce290b988b79b8532e6fc7.gif

@Z0366 you can fix the lock from breaking by forcing the dupes to jump though it rather than run though.  Dupes don't fart or breath while jumping across gaps.  It's also possible held items don't exchange heat ether but that's a theory I haven't tested

to do this you will have to add 2 more liquids to your set up (oil and petroleum) or just use naphtha

00000000000001.thumb.png.2edaef63fa5553d301f18ce342da6245.png

20181017002320_1.thumb.jpg.4878ce00b307a431b79ea3d82cf17731.jpg

On 10/17/2019 at 2:09 AM, nakomaru said:

Here's the combo I use in my base.

I've used something similar in the past. (I used deconstructed liquid reservoirs instead of the geyser fed overpressure)

Using the airflow and mesh tiles with liquid in it with deodorizers is an amazingly simple way to filter maximum polluted oxygen with no power usage. 

On 10/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, Neotuck said:

to do this you will have to add 2 more liquids to your set up (oil and petroleum) or just use naphtha

Isn't 3 liquids enough to make them hop over a 1-tile deep gap, 1 in the "ditch"and 2 abovegrounds? 

I feel compelled to post my setup as well:

gas.thumb.gif.8ec5a46b66655c5fd8bf5141253f6595.gif

Also inspired by @mathmanican. even though a different aspect :). Way too offtopic but I love this geyser setup even more since I realized I can also pipe stuff into it without having to confuse the vents. (The left one got confused on its own and it bugs me.)

15 hours ago, biopon said:

Isn't 3 liquids enough to make them hop over a 1-tile deep gap, 1 in the "ditch"and 2 abovegrounds? 

Unless there was an update/hot fix that I didn't know about, dupes will step down and up 1 tile deep gaps

Can any one confirm?

Archived