Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

tofof

Long-term egg preservation - no incubation, no viability loss

tofof    29

I discovered a simple way to store and preserve eggs for future use.

Entombing an egg within a tile halts both the incubation and viability counters from progressing.
This is very easily accomplished simply by trapping it inside a door - though burying it in falling sand also works.

preserve.thumb.png.78048f5606a6844e3911ddbef85d3af9.png

After three cycles, the eggs inside the door and buried in sand are no worse for wear - note the lack of arrows on either the incubation or viability stats.
(The incubation of 5% occurred before the egg was placed inside the doors).

For comparison, the eggs that had been inside the storage bin or riding the conveyor for the same duration lost viability normally (-10% / cycle). 

Steve8    14
24 minutes ago, tofof said:

For comparison, the eggs that had been inside the storage bin or riding the conveyor for the same duration lost viability normally (-10% / cycle). 

Last game I wanted to relocate some Pacu eggs to my water tank, so I set the storage bin to collect all of them (not sweep only). And then forgot all about it. Then I wondered why my Pacu population was down to two :?

On the other hand, it's also a good way to get rid of unwanted eggs if you don't want omlettes. Let them decay. Then let the raw egg decay. Then use the egg shell for lime and dispose of the rot pile.

Seems inconsistent that "storing" it in a door is treated differently, but something being in a storage bin is a lot easier to detect for the game than the rare occasion of being inside a door

StarSquid    41

Wow, that’s very useful. No more species dying out because I don’t have the resources to support them now but can’t keep them around until I do

__IvoCZE__    6,565
6 minutes ago, FSharpDotNet said:

Refridgeration should slow it down. It doesn't in game, but it should slow the viability loss some. Would have been nice.

Theres a difference between classic-food-cooling-temperature and a cryogenetic freezing one.

For example putting an incubating egg into a fridge irl would just kill the baby-in-the-egg.

Tonyroid    254
4 hours ago, tofof said:

Entombing an egg within a tile halts both the incubation and viability counters from progressing.
This is very easily accomplished simply by trapping it inside a door - though burying it in falling sand also works.

preserve.thumb.png.78048f5606a6844e3911ddbef85d3af9.png

After three cycles, the eggs inside the door and buried in sand are no worse for wear - note the lack of arrows on either the incubation or viability stats.
(The incubation of 5% occurred before the egg was placed inside the doors).

I noticed that at some point. It's basically the same as having the egg buried in a natural tile (you can bury them in any natural tile for the same effect, by the way). It's like how you can find random Shove Vole eggs while digging around in the space biome, they are viable even though they've been there for the whole game.

0xFADE    460

This is because you are burying it when you close the door. The game puts natural tiles of that doors metal there. Learned this from math. It explains a lot of how the door interacts with debris. 

Sasza22    2,199

This is why shove voles disappear after a while. All the eggs get entombed and are just in stasis until you unburry them.

biopon    226

@tofof this is a great find.

At the risk of stating the obvious. it's super easy to build an automated egg fridge:

lice.gif.ca6a6a41369e67d52b8f9a75ec535a01.gif

(You could put the dispenser on the doors but it'd interrupt any dupes carrying eggs to it if the doors were to open.)

BLACKBERREST3    234
1 hour ago, biopon said:

At the risk of stating the obvious. it's super easy to build an automated egg fridge:

@biopon

There is but one flaw.

Over the course of thousands upon thousands of cycles...

giphy.gif.984e391bca6312af7dc44255f080093e.gif

Your machine will fail.

biopon    226
2 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

thousands upon thousands of cycles

You mean, the eggs incubate while the doors are open? That is true, but also, a problem for future me. You can power the doors I guess if you plan on playing the same save for 10k+ cycles. :p

Samson.ONI    17

Nice find, I had been looking for a way to do just this. Also seriously reaffirming my long held belief that the mechanized airlocks are made of pure magic.

Edit; for those who want to stop the eggs from popping out of the door when it closes, you can use one vertical door instead of two horizontal ones.

Gurgel    1,242
18 hours ago, tofof said:

Interesting! I salute you for your accomplishments in wresting the last secrets from the Oni engine ;)

BLACKBERREST3    234
3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Interesting! I salute you for your accomplishments in wresting the last secrets from the Oni engine ;)

Oh, you have no idea. There are many more secrets to find  :wilson_ninja: