[Game Update] - 372041

• Developer

We're patching twice today to get some extra fixes in for the weekend!

Second patch 372041:

• Fix for the load screen claiming that older saves on default worlds were "corrupted".
  • Fix crash caused by changed codex unlocks

Original patch 371951:

• Improved performance of tracking "Finely Tuned Machine" achievement, reduces periodic lag spike
  • Fixed the case where a large blue crackly texture would cover up the colony
  • Fixed a crash in the crash reporter when trying to report a crash (thanks for the reports).
  • Fixed a crash if a save with modded settings was loaded with mods disabled.

Have a good weekend y'all! :D 

View full update

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

• Developer
12 minutes ago, lbphero said:

Didnt you guys change the name of "tune up for what?" To "finely tuned"?

That's right, thanks! Fixed.

Just now, Loscil2 said:

Hello, will the performance testing branch will be available for Linux any time soon? Thanks for your hard work.

The testing branch was available for Linux on steam, we always open it to all 3 OSes. But the reason you can't see it now is because this is already live! :D 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

That's right, thanks! Fixed.

The testing branch was available for Linux on steam, we always open it to all 3 OSes. But the reason you can't see it now is because this is already live! :D 

Ahh shoot, thanks then!

• Developer
43 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

What is that crackly texture for?

So about that...
When we finally caught it while running in the dev tools, I made a capture to share.
We were not prepared for seeing the cause for the first time pRMD5TF.png  B9mWXoh.png

(One of the performance changes knocked over a big vase sent some bogus numbers to the rendering.)

Here's some other good ones from the community discord (via Callumabbie, MayonnaiseJane, VoQn)
APmS70W.pngwR87lHY.pngRtwE4Nv.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 31

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fixed a crash in the crash reporter when trying to report a crash

Yo dawg... I heard you like crashes, so i put a crash in your crash reporter, so you can crash while crashing!

Best set of updates as of late, I recovered all faith in you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll need to load up when I can to see how much this addresses my experience with the performance optimization patch immediately preceding this one. 

User experience feedback for previous patch:

Context:
Cycle 450ish, 90%+ map revealed, 19 dupes 
Computer = potato, er, great for 5-6 years ago:  AMD FX-9590,  32 GB DDR3, ATI R9 NANO, 1 TB Samsung Evo SSD -- No overclocking

Good News(TM):
Average framerate ~18-21 fps -> ~29-30 fps 

Bad News(TM):
While average framerate increased quite a bit, it introduced a fair amount of semi-periodic frame jerking.  Haven't quite figured out the x+/-y yet so I'm wondering if it's something like shuffled garbage collection or maybe a complication from the streaming optimizations.  The stutters aren't super bad, just irritating.  There is maybe a tenth to a quarter second jerk every 5-15ish seconds.  Sorry, I'd be more specific but I didn't get to fiddle with it long for much the same reason I haven't been able to check the current patch out yet.  I'm not a "(Max_FPS -1) !?  OMG!" type.so 15-20 fps was perfectly acceptable and I'm ecstatic at getting 30 on late stage colony.

Edited by storm6436

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

FYI, we're working on a patch right now for the "corrupted saves". You saves are safe, there is an error in the load screen that was crashing for older saves on the default world. We'll have that out ASAP.

You might wanna sticky this. ;)

Seems that placing a building over a hard to dig tile results in "not permitted" for the digger, even though they have the skill to dig everything.  This prevents anything from happening (cant build because tiles need dig, but dig is not permitted).

(If the building is removed, Turner happily dig the tiles)

image.thumb.png.5ad250efc8f2b855d67ffe3076863d9f.png

Edit: OK.  So if your digger is unconstructive, he will not dig when it is associated with a building.  I do not recall this being the case in the past.

Edited by chemie

Abyssalite transfers to liquids when it has enough energy to instantly vaporize 5kg of liquid and remain above the liquid's boiling point.

It may also transfer to high conductivity tiles because it is not an insulated tile, and tile-tile conduction uses the average of the conductivities.

It will also transfer to most tempshift plates.

It may also transfer to debris if the debris that is on it does not transfer with the tile it is in (due to either equilibrium or low conductivity).

Those cases are probably not bugs.

9 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Abyssalite transfers to liquids when it has enough energy to instantly vaporize 5kg of liquid and remain above the liquid's boiling point.

It may also transfer to high conductivity tiles because it is not an insulated tile, and tile-tile conduction uses the average of the conductivities.

It will also transfer to most tempshift plates.

It may also transfer to debris if the debris that is on it does not transfer with the tile it is in (due to either equilibrium or low conductivity).

Those cases are probably not bugs.

its thermal conductivity is 0 , it shouldn't transfer heat at all

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, aymanoracle said:

its thermal conductivity is 0 , it shouldn't transfer heat at all

It's 0.00001. And some mechanics don't even care about that, such as flash boiling. Insulated insulation tiles will boil liquid hydrogen when they're above -250C. It's a neat mechanic, and a great way to bypass conductivity.

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nakomaru said:

It's 0.00001. And some mechanics don't even care about that, such as flash boiling. Insulated insulation tiles will boil liquid hydrogen when they're above -250C. It's a neat mechanic, and a great way to bypass conductivity.

even so , how it is instance convert petroleum to sour gas when it touch it at least it should take some time cause it has bad thermal conductivity