Getting to the mid-game in 100 cycles or less

What is going on at the bottom with the Pincha Pepper automation and gas pump? will it be vacuumed or something else? I put an aquatuner in there temporarily (with some water on the ground, and tempshift plates to keep the tuner cool) to heat that room while cooling the input from below.

Maybe I should have had all suits built, filled, and all docks/checkpoints built before I turned them on. 4 diffusers is/was not keeping the suits full enough to not see idle warnings a bunch. Sometimes I needed to undock a suit so the idle dupe could move it to a full dock right next to it.

It was a real struggle to get enough copper, and refined copper without a refinery. I imagine it will get easier with every colony I follow this pattern. Making the Right diffuser backwards was troublesome but completed.

I really appreciate the targets and the details about how to get there. I've done 6 colonies in a row of a very different strategy, so will take some getting used to. I am real excited about the tech details of what I can see it will bring.

When I'm rushing like that one of the first things I do is setup a drecko ranch and start feeding them mealworms so I can get plastic as soon as possible and transit tube my base up. Usually you can guide them into a box close to the jungle biome without having a rancher and then plant some mealwood there to get the ball rolling.

And I sometimes rush smooth hatches for early refined metal but they're not as important because getting large amounts of plastic is more difficult than refined metal.

Also one of the reasons I rush plastic is because I like playing with closed bases and no exosuits as much as possible. So I set up satellite bases filled with oxygen connected by the transit tubes. Putting the dupes in exosuits 24/7 bypasses a lot of problems which make the game fun for me.

I decided to try your approach (with a random Terra map) and loving it so far.  Reading ahead I see that you send the polluted water from the toilets to the top and that you use some of it to cool stuff.  But I don't see a chlorine room.   Are food poison germs not an issue?  Or do you have a chlorine room up there to kill the germs and it is just out of the screenshot?

Also, which walls are the sewage pipes in?

EDIT:  I *think* I see the sewage pipe go up from right below the oxygen diffusers, through the center ladder up to the top, empty on the top basin (germs and all), get pumped back up and fed to reeds (which presumably can consume it all).  I am not positive but there seems to be a liquid sensor below the vent, probably to ensure that we leave at least "some" water in the trough.

I was able to follow this plan until about cycle 50, tried to continue a bit after that, but couldn't.  Too much is obscured in the screenshots. 

For example, I could not follow at all the pincha pepper farm.  

The metal refinery confused me too.  It is so compact that makes it look very desirable.  But it would seem that the infinite cooling tank next to is all that is used.  But that can't be... since it has to be cooled somehow or the polluted water will eventually overheat and sooner or later the refinery will melt.

It would be great if there could be some more explanation from the pincha farm forward, but I noticed that Saturnus is no longer following this thread.  I hope he stumbles back onto it.

12 hours ago, zOldBulldog said:

But that can't be... since it has to be cooled somehow or the polluted water will eventually overheat and sooner or later the refinery will melt.

I use mine similarly - tepid pH2O into refinery, loop it until it can't be heated anymore, send it to sieve, send hot water to electrolyzer.

Let's see.

It's just a ghetto refinery set up. The slime biome polluted water isn't looped at all. It's just used once in the refinery. The water in the tank is currently 72C which is low enough that it can be deleted by pinchas (and fertilizer synths) later when a full permanent refinery set up is made. This works because you make different metals on the refinery and not just steel. If only steel was made the output water would be too hot. So it's key to only run a ghetto refinery for what is actually needed.

GhettoRefinery.thumb.png.295f20cc9c29694119324c7f9bb5b4eb.png

Note that the output of the carbon skimmers are also just dumped into the same storage in this set up helping the used coolant to remain a low enough temperature to be deleted directly by pinchas.

Base and pincha farm piping

PipingBase.thumb.png.9120a46aacb7271c775e5ecdc99d7fe1.png

Biome polluted water comes in bottom right. Goes across feeding the fertilizer synths on the way, and fills the pipe to the pinchas if the polluted water from the power plant isn't enough. There's a tepidizer in case the water is not hot enough for the pinchas.

Lavatories are fed cold water. When used it's sent to the power plant as coolant.

In the power plant it's just dumped on the ground mixing with the NGGs output and cooling the entire power plant. There's a bilge pump at the bottom of the power plant that just sends it to the pincha pepper farm (pipe going left), and in case that pipe should get overflowed, it goes to the sieve/sterilizer set up where it's sterilized before being sieved (pipe going right).

PipingPower.thumb.png.854c555c5cb75a522e75369feaa0e200.png

Thanks Saturn's, that makes so much sense now.  Very clever way to use a ghetto refinery setup to supply heat for the pinchas.

So, to make sure I understood right (and to help anyone else who struggled understanding)  I will try to re-describe the water flows:

Metal refinery:

- Input directly from biome.

- Output to infinite storage.

- Skimmer output is the pipe through the middle of the refinery (cooling it a little) and merges into the infinite storage to lower its temperature to acceptable level for pinchas.

Clean water:

• In from biome on lower left.   In from water sieve on lower right.
  • Out to cooling on lower left.  Out to carbon skimmers on the right (I don't see them, but guessing they are at the bottom of the right ladder).
  • Back in from cooling on lower left through radiant pipe and up on right to feed Bristle blossoms and toilets.

Polluted water:

• From toilets up to cool the natural gas where more is produced.
  • Drips down to cool coal generators and again to cool transformers before being pumped back into pipes.
  • Pumped water goes left to pinchas and any overflow goes right to water sieve.
  • At the pinchas farm, refinery infinite storage water comes from right, generator water comes from left.
  • Refinery water feeds fertilizer plants first, with overflow merging with generators water before going through the tepidizer radiant pipe and from there to the pinchas.
  • I see a bridge at the bottom right where the water comes in from the refinery infinite storage.   I assume that directs polluted water first to the water sieve and sending the overflow (which is probably most of the polluted water) to the pinchas.  Correct?

I think that covers all of the water flows.

15 minutes ago, zOldBulldog said:
  • I see a bridge at the bottom right where the water comes in from the refinery infinite storage.   I assume that directs polluted water first to the water sieve and sending the overflow (which is probably most of the polluted water) to the pinchas.  Correct?

Correct

Hey !

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your awesome design coming with the right amount of explanations !
Yet I'm still quite new at this marvelous game, and even if i'm familiar with some of your systems, there is still 1 or 2 questions i can't solve by myself right now ...

-In your pincha farm, i'm not sure to fully understand the automation system. The pressure plate is here to stop the fertilizer synthetizer when you consider you've got enough fertilizer. The thermometer is here to control the heater OK. 
But it seems connected to the "AND" door to control the sweepers, and i can't figure out why. 
That and the 2 clocks at the bottom right which still are a mystery to me. 

-The steam turbine / water cooler system : i'm not familiar at all with this system, first time i get that far. Did you loop the water to get a target temperature before going to your base (if that's the case i can't see the loop, would need a valve or something ?). If not, what's the purpose of the temperature liquid detector ? (sorting incoming water by temperature, for the part which doesn't need  cooling ?).
Not sure to understand the liquid reservoir as well, won't it heat up the water we want to cool down while being in the steam ?
For that part, if it's not too much to ask, i'd be glad to see your pipe / automation layers 

-last mystery for me (at the moment) is the purpose of the decontamination room. I thought you destroyed the infected polluted water from the lavatory in the pincha farm (after being used as coolant for the energy plant) as it doesn't cause any issue used like this. Is this to have a cleaner set up or do you use it to clean something else ?

Thank you again for your sharing and you very nice design i'm having a really good time trying to set up and understand !

10 hours ago, Slovad said:

-In your pincha farm, i'm not sure to fully understand the automation system. The pressure plate is here to stop the fertilizer synthetizer when you consider you've got enough fertilizer. The thermometer is here to control the heater OK. 
But it seems connected to the "AND" door to control the sweepers, and i can't figure out why. 
That and the 2 clocks at the bottom right which still are a mystery to me. 

The clocks are connected to the AND gate. It's for so-called time slicing. Since the sweepers really only need to be on 2% of a cycle the clocks turn the sweepers on twice per cycle but only if the tepidizer is  not on. Time slicing allows you to have massive potential power consumption on a single wire without any chance of overloading since you allot the different system their own set time slice of a cycle they can be on.

-The steam turbine / water cooler system : i'm not familiar at all with this system, first time i get that far. Did you loop the water to get a target temperature before going to your base (if that's the case i can't see the loop, would need a valve or something ?). If not, what's the purpose of the temperature liquid detector ? (sorting incoming water by temperature, for the part which doesn't need  cooling ?).
Not sure to understand the liquid reservoir as well, won't it heat up the water we want to cool down while being in the steam ?
For that part, if it's not too much to ask, i'd be glad to see your pipe / automation layers 

Reservoirs have perfect insulation. The only thing the content exchange heat with is the tile under the left corner.
The aquatuner acts as a shut off valve. If it's on, liquids goes through it and get cooled. If it's off, liquids bypass it.
I'll provide a picture at another time.

-last mystery for me (at the moment) is the purpose of the decontamination room. I thought you destroyed the infected polluted water from the lavatory in the pincha farm (after being used as coolant for the energy plant) as it doesn't cause any issue used like this. Is this to have a cleaner set up or do you use it to clean something else ?

The decontaminator is to process potential overflow that the pinchas can't delete. It's not possible, and have no use at this particular point but it could soon have when I install temperature controlled showers to keep the power plant temperature in check, ie. if above a certain temperature in the power plant the showers will get turned on for a cycle. That will create enough germy polluted water to overflow the pinchas if it continues several cycles in a row.

20 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Reservoirs have perfect insulation. The only thing the content exchange heat with is the tile under the left corner.

The content will exchange heat with the steam into the bottom left of the reservoir too.

Archived