WHY CAN'T I PUT BEEFALO ON BOATS

I'm aware Beefalo Boats would be too OP but seriously Klei?  Boats are just shy of being large enough for a telelocator focus, meaning that my beefalo are destined to be sad and landlocked.  Not to mention my poor koalephants.  I mean it's great that you can put bunnies and moleworms on boats and all, and I certainly intend on making a slurper boat, bee boat, pig boat, spooder boat... but my dreams were absolutely shattered when I found out I couldn't make a beefalo boat.  All the bunny boats in the world won't be able to fill the gaping hole in my heart where a beefalo boat should be.

I feel like this is a massive oversight.  Klei devs, pls fix.  We need beefalo boats.

2 hours ago, Rogue_Ren said:

I'm aware Beefalo Boats would be too OP but seriously Klei?  Boats are just shy of being large enough for a telelocator focus, meaning that my beefalo are destined to be sad and landlocked.  Not to mention my poor koalephants.  I mean it's great that you can put bunnies and moleworms on boats and all, and I certainly intend on making a slurper boat, bee boat, pig boat, spooder boat... but my dreams were absolutely shattered when I found out I couldn't make a beefalo boat.  All the bunny boats in the world won't be able to fill the gaping hole in my heart where a beefalo boat should be.

I feel like this is a massive oversight.  Klei devs, pls fix.  We need beefalo boats.

Moving Beefalo onto boats was an actual feature during the Turn of Tides beta. It was removed alongside the ability to take heavy objects onto boats. I am unsure why this is the case. There was an exploit where you could put a ton knight sculptures on a boat, summon shadow knights on a new moon and kill them by drowning the boat, but that is still possible so I doubt their intention was to fix it (it was already made much harder by having the shadows ignore boat borders). Building telelocator focuses on boats was also possible but again, it was removed. I personally would love for the change (on all of these things save for shadows ignoring boat borders) to be reverted.

Hello, maybe your dreams aren't crushed. You can get beefalos onto a boat, but it's a bit of a bug. You just need to place two gates by the ocean, and put two statues in between the ocean and the gates. Then push a beefalo inside the gates, and close the gates. That will hopefully push the beefalo out onto the boat by shore. As for koalefants, you may have to freeze them with an ice staff to do this, because they run away from you unlike beefalos.

BeefaloBoat.thumb.gif.3ac19c9492838905f051a7f85366be14.gif

Beefalo used to be able to jump onto boats early on in the beta, like how pigmen, bunnymen, and characters can, but unfortunately Klei removed it without giving a reason. Hope this helps.

13 hours ago, Electroely said:

Moving Beefalo onto boats was an actual feature during the Turn of Tides beta. It was removed alongside the ability to take heavy objects onto boats. I am unsure why this is the case. There was an exploit where you could put a ton knight sculptures on a boat, summon shadow knights on a new moon and kill them by drowning the boat, but that is still possible so I doubt their intention was to fix it (it was already made much harder by having the shadows ignore boat borders). Building telelocator focuses on boats was also possible but again, it was removed. I personally would love for the change (on all of these things save for shadows ignoring boat borders) to be reverted.

I mean, obviously I can see how having a telelocator focus on a boat could be exploited, but I'm not about to point that out because a Deerclops boat would be fab.

5 hours ago, jantonio said:

lazy explorer works fine too.

Hats off to you, friend.

12 hours ago, Bird Up said:

Hello, maybe your dreams aren't crushed. You can get beefalos onto a boat, but it's a bit of a bug. You just need to place two gates by the ocean, and put two statues in between the ocean and the gates. Then push a beefalo inside the gates, and close the gates. That will hopefully push the beefalo out onto the boat by shore. As for koalefants, you may have to freeze them with an ice staff to do this, because they run away from you unlike beefalos.

Reveal hidden contents

BeefaloBoat.thumb.gif.3ac19c9492838905f051a7f85366be14.gif

Beefalo used to be able to jump onto boats early on in the beta, like how pigmen, bunnymen, and characters can, but unfortunately Klei removed it without giving a reason. Hope this helps.

Oh, thanks for sharing your animal loading station, this is helpful!

12 hours ago, Bird Up said:

I'm going to use this to make a beautiful koalephant boat.  Thank you kindly <3

2 hours ago, Brago-sama said:

Like others have said, it used to be in-game (well, the beta at least)

Here's a glorious gif(Vid) of it when it used to be implemented, courtesy of @Swanky Psammead https://i.imgur.com/29DbA5z.mp4

It is still possible to get Beefalo onto boats by Telepoofing with a Lazy Explorer while mounted. (Wortox cannot do this with Souls, it has to be a Lazy Explorer)

edit oh, several people have pointed this out already, my mistake!

On 9/28/2019 at 2:19 AM, Bird Up said:

IIRC a dev reply around the time of the change indicated that it was due to not wanting 'heavy' items to be movable off of the mainland via Beefalo.

9 minutes ago, maradyne said:

IIRC a dev reply around the time of the change indicated that it was due to not wanting 'heavy' items to be movable off of the mainland via Beefalo.

I still want them to update the game.. let you put one on a boat anyway, but get about halfway out in the water, and then the boat either sinks or snaps in half under the weight lol..

were riding on smallish wooden rafts, not a New York freighter boat.

2 hours ago, maradyne said:

You can still do it anyway by turning on pvp and tela-locating people carrying heavy things anyway (unless they patched this)

Although to be fair this kinda involves playing with settings and not anything in base game so I guess it doesn't count

16 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

But you can't put a telelocator focus on a boat since that same update, so this wouldn't work either

But you can put one on the moon island, which is what the patch for no heavy things on boats was for. (Along with a multitude of other things actually)I guess them sinking was another thing that boats did so I guess they did solve that

Is there some actual benefit from a beefalo boat other than its undeniable aesthetic value?

Since there is just one island and the map isn't so huge it takes days to swim there I am unsure what the purpose of having entire sea empires is tbh. Hm.

3 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

Is there some actual benefit from a beefalo boat other than its undeniable aesthetic value?

Just the usual benefits of Beefalo. Though...the Lunar Island does have heavy items to move around (the altar pieces) that Beef would help in repositioning.

I think the image of Beefalo jump-prancing across a bridge is enough of a reason for them to be allowed to hop on boats, though.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, Ellilea said:

Since there is just one island and the map isn't so huge it takes days to swim there I am unsure what the purpose of having entire sea empires is tbh. Hm.

Why does there need to be a purpose?  Beefalo have just as much right to be on a boat as we do if you ask me.

11 hours ago, Rogue_Ren said:

Why does there need to be a purpose?  Beefalo have just as much right to be on a boat as we do if you ask me.

Find some mods that allow you to teleport beefalo. That's the only solution. There are a lot of useless items and feaures in DST that were never fixed by devs. Same goes to beefalos.

5 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

I mean the reason could just simply be if you have a Heavy Obj on your back and you leave it on the boat, if that boat gets destroyed so will the heavy object, thus potentially destroying the Moon Altar or ze Marble Pieces

It's not that. The marble pieces and moon altar parts are irreplaceable, so if they manage to sink then they'll just wash back up on the nearest shore. You can observe this in-game really easily by just spawning them on water with the console.

Archived