Fully automated dense puft ranching - ChickenMadness based

23 minutes ago, Promethien said:

Its my understanding that overcrowding just stops their reproduction from building up. They keep their metabolism as long as you groom them.

Not quite. 

Glum critters will go to 20% metabolism.

And you'll need a second breeding stable and hatchery to keep the numbers in the overcrowded stable from dropping anyway

I've got a fully automated puft ranch for meat and egg farming that might give you ideas. You'd have to keep the one on the left under the overcrowding limit so they keep producing eggs, then make the limit of the second ranch however high you like. This was from early access though, don't know how much the game has changed since then, only started playing again yesterday.

image.thumb.png.b09ce624e8466ab0f67f951046d1af47.png

You have to scroll down on the first page to see the full final design.

As long as you take eggs out of the room, critters will make one before they die of old age.  I have 26 pufts in this single tile, and when they make an egg it falls into a separate room.  When they hatch they go back into the same single tile their parent lived in.  No dupe interaction needed.  I do something like this with about every critter; you can put as many you want there as long as the room is the minimum size (16 for pufts).

20190929000049_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Gamers Handbook said:

If you're leaving it open to the asteroid like that you don't even need the open door.

The open door is so it does not cramp my critters. This is why I call it a crowder, it crowds my critters without cramping them.

Doors count as a 1 (or 2?) tile room by themselves. Critters can't travel in closed doors.

It highlights the whole door so I guess it's a 2 tile room.

5d91172521277_Annotation2019-09-29163831.thumb.png.00e5fe60aa63a3ac0b7bd813434221d2.png

I use the principal too, I was referring to the open asteroid being a "room" of massive size and therefore your critters wouldn't overcrowd, since that drop of water doesn't keep where your pufts are from being considered a different room; the pufts are essentially in a room the size of the entire mined asteroid.

Just in case I'm not understanding you correctly, here is a thread where biopon goes into detail about what all the debuffs and status' of critters mean.

Spoiler

As for the critter crowder, I should have mentioned that I usually close it off in a room (dependant on critter space needs) so it never faces the open asteroid. If a rouge critter is on the loose and lays an egg anywhere in the asteroid, then it would cramp all the critters. Use https://oni-db.com to find out a little extra on critters. I should have also mentioned that certain mechanics come into play as well (>350kg of water) which makes pips/dreckos climb out from the door after hatching.

Spoiler

I really want to create that critter guide, but I got a list of stuff on backlog already :( 1 step at a time I suppose.

post later
automation permutations
shove vole crowding
sweeper germ thing
pacu farm
battery breaker
dupe breath exploit
gravestone as foreground heatsink? stupid waterlock

read later
heat transfer equations
solid-liquid bypass

On 9/27/2019 at 6:30 PM, Promethien said:

Its my understanding that overcrowding just stops their reproduction from building up. They keep their metabolism as long as you groom them.

There are 2 debuffs people confuse: Overcrowded and Cramped. Sure the words are synonyms, but their effects in game are different.

Overcrowded: -5 happiness (leads to Glum since it will put happiness to negative) And Glum is -80% metabolism

Crampled: -100% reproduction (This is the egg laying timer)

Ok, now that we have definitions for them, here's how each is triggered:

Overcrowded happens when there isn't enough roaming space for each critter in a room. For most it's 12 tiles of air, pufts are 16 tiles of air. Pacu are 8 tiles of swimmable water. Eggs do not matter for this.

In a max sized ranch (96 tiles) you can have 8 hatches, or 6 pufts before they become overcrowded.

Overcrowded does not affect wild critters mind you because they are already -1 happiness, and -1 to -6 happiness makes no difference.

Now, cramped is a bit different. First it counts the number of critters in a room, then it counts all the eggs. If this would reach the overcrowded level then critters are cramped. They stop laying eggs because those eggs hatching would cause overcrowding if they didn't already have it.

That's pretty much it, but here's some examples in a 96 tile room:

7 hatches 1 egg: No debuff

7 hatches 2 eggs: Cramped only.

8 hatches: No debuff

8 hatches 1 egg: Cramped only.

9 hatches: Overcrowded (note that they still lay eggs normally)

9 hatches 1 egg: Cramped and Overcrowded.

If you want to keep your critters laying eggs, make sure not to store the eggs in the same room. It's that simple.

14 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

There are 2 debuffs people confuse: Overcrowded and Cramped. Sure the words are synonyms, but their effects in game are different.

Overcrowded: -5 happiness (leads to Glum since it will put happiness to negative) And Glum is -80% metabolism

Crampled: -100% reproduction (This is the egg laying timer)

Ok, now that we have definitions for them, here's how each is triggered:

Overcrowded happens when there isn't enough roaming space for each critter in a room. For most it's 12 tiles of air, pufts are 16 tiles of air. Pacu are 8 tiles of swimmable water. Eggs do not matter for this.

In a max sized ranch (96 tiles) you can have 8 hatches, or 6 pufts before they become overcrowded.

Overcrowded does not affect wild critters mind you because they are already -1 happiness, and -1 to -6 happiness makes no difference.

Now, cramped is a bit different. First it counts the number of critters in a room, then it counts all the eggs. If this would reach the overcrowded level then critters are cramped. They stop laying eggs because those eggs hatching would cause overcrowding if they didn't already have it.

That's pretty much it, but here's some examples in a 96 tile room:

7 hatches 1 egg: No debuff

7 hatches 2 eggs: Cramped only.

8 hatches: No debuff

8 hatches 1 egg: Cramped only.

9 hatches: Overcrowded (note that they still lay eggs normally)

9 hatches 1 egg: Cramped and Overcrowded.

If you want to keep your critters laying eggs, make sure not to store the eggs in the same room. It's that simple.

So based on this. Its ok to dump a ton of pacu in a single tank. They will still lay eggs as long as there are no eggs in the tank with them. So I'd want to put in a sweeper that drops the eggs in a platform above the tank for the eggs to hatch. Then they can flop into the tank. 

5 minutes ago, Promethien said:

So based on this. Its ok to dump a ton of pacu in a single tank. They will still lay eggs as long as there are no eggs in the tank with them. So I'd want to put in a sweeper that drops the eggs in a platform above the tank for the eggs to hatch. Then they can flop into the tank. 

Yes, and they can fall through pneumatic doors to keep your crowding tank separated from the rest of the asteroid.

On 9/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, Gamers Handbook said:

When they hatch they go back into the same single tile

I haven't ranched pufts in ages, but if I can keep them on one tile, that changes things :)

Is the water not an issue? They can swim up to the air tile?

Just now, gaucho_tche said:

Is it still working perfectly chicken?

ye I just checked. the ranch is fine, but the colony itself won't last forever because I just spawned in a bunch of gas and food for it.

And the automated egg dropper/kill room on the side of the ranch is obsolete in the newest version of the game. it still works, but there are simpler solutions in the game now that didn't exist when I built that.

3 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

ye I just checked. the ranch is fine, but the colony itself won't last forever because I just spawned in a bunch of gas and food for it.

And the automated egg dropper/kill room on the side of the ranch is obsolete in the newest version of the game. it still works, but there are simpler solutions in the game now that didn't exist when I built that.

Do you have a clue on how many pufts it produces each cycle or how many cycles per puft?

By obsolete do you mean the egg cracker?

11 minutes ago, gaucho_tche said:

Do you have a clue on how many pufts it produces each cycle or how many cycles per puft?

By obsolete do you mean the egg cracker?

The egg dropper automation in the top right of the screenshot isn't needed because it can be replaced by a conveyor shute that will just drop the eggs on it's own. Conveyor shutes weren't in the game back then. The automation there was so that the sweeper arm would pick up eggs from the container and then shut off before it could place the eggs in the second container, so the eggs would drop to the ground. That is the obsolete part.

The part in the bottom right with the automated doors isn't an egg cracker though, it lets the pufts hatch and it floods the room with water once per cycle

When I did the testing back then that single ranch (both rooms) was enough to feed 6-7 duplicants with BBQ. Can't remember how many pufts hatch per cycle but if you leave it running for a bit you'll see. It's already been running for a long time in the save file so it's fully primed with eggs. But I checked just now and it looks like it kills 3 pufts per cycle (thats how many were alive when I checked just now). I might have mentioned some of this stuff in the original thread already.

4 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

The egg dropper automation in the top right of the screenshot isn't needed because it can be replaced by a conveyor shute that will just drop the eggs on it's own. Conveyor shutes weren't in the game back then. The automation there was so that the sweeper arm would pick up eggs from the container and then shut off before it could place the eggs in the second container, so the eggs would drop to the ground. That is the obsolete part.

The part in the bottom right with the automated doors isn't an egg cracker though, it lets the pufts hatch and it floods the room with water once per cycle

When I did the testing back then that single ranch (both rooms) was enough to feed 6-7 duplicants with BBQ. Can't remember how many pufts hatch per cycle but if you leave it running for a bit you'll see. It's already been running for a long time in the save file so it's fully primed with eggs. But I checked just now and it looks like it kills 3 pufts per cycle (thats how many were alive when I checked just now). I might have mentioned some of this stuff in the original thread already.

I am making my own design also, with 4 Chambers for 6 dense pufts each, to maximize the egg production. I need to feed 22 dupes.

5 minutes ago, gaucho_tche said:

I am making my own design also, with 4 Chambers for 6 dense pufts each, to maximize the egg production. I need to feed 22 dupes.

Ye the one I made is easily stackable, I designed it so that it was modular and you could stack as many as you want horizontally or vertically. You only need one Hatchery (left chamber) because it makes ****loads of eggs on it's own, and every other chamber can be the same as the room on the right. 

The only difference in the hatchery vs the normal ranch on the right is that there is always a puft prince being incubated and released into the room. And the Puft Prince ends up dying after a few cycles but there is another puft prince being hatched ready to take it's place. Since it's a dense puft farm and theres no PO2 for it to survive.

Archived