Ipsquiggle

New Performance Patch in Testing - 369994

Loraty    42

I love you now! This sounds great. Can't wait to test it.

Edit: Also: First!

Edited by Loraty

Lifegrow    1,565

Hate to say it, but I feel I may have a case of performance patch anxiety.... :D

Good to know you're working on things though, much love!

• Haha 4

Steve8    42

Temperature/Disease Sensors no longer become unresponsive when in a vacuum or no element in conduit.

I like this too. That was pretty annoying in aquatuner setups

• Like 3

Loraty    42

Quick first test: Slightly more FPS, reduced stutter and much faster autosave. 

But also:

My dupes are disinfecting stuff (mostly air-vents) that shows no germs (and has no real way of getting them) every 30 seconds or so.

My steam engine runs at half power and the magma below it is cooling much faster than before. The airlocks I'm using to control the heat transfer are closed most of the time while before installing the update they were almost always open.

• Like 1

fatheroctopus    257
10 minutes ago, Loraty said:

Quick first test: Slightly more FPS, reduced stutter and much faster autosave. 

But also:

My dupes are disinfecting stuff (mostly air-vents) that shows no germs (and has no real way of getting them) every 30 seconds or so.

My steam engine runs at half power and the magma below it is cooling much faster than before. The airlocks I'm using to control the heat transfer are closed most of the time while before installing the update they were almost always open.

Hi Loraty, could you post your save and we can take a look at the before/after.

• Thanks 2

Muggins    74

Sounds like a lot of hard work has been going on over there...thank you so much. 

Quick question: will the beta branch have the usual background data tools that cause slowdowns? Because that might offset the perceived performance improvements. 

• Like 1

Nitroturtle    633

I'm seeing weird stuff with liquid shutoff valves that should be flowing 100% leaving spaces between packets with brief "blocked pipe" messages.  Reloading seems to fix the issue, but I've had it pop up on a couple different liquid shutoffs.

• Like 1

Uploading a test save on behalf of Brothgar

Give it a whirl and let's see how it turns out

Warning: there are a few mods on this save that will most likely break, nothing game-breaking though.

edit: by game-breaking, I mean causing crashes.

Oasis_Map_Seed_122236_ep36.sav

Edited by Pancakeking78
  • Confused 1

chromiumboy    330

This is awesome, thanks for the update!

By chance, have you had an opportunity to look into the material displacement bug I reported, that occurs when a cell's properties are changed?

• Like 1

Lifegrow    1,565

Load times feel worse than using the Fast Save mod.

Maybe a slight improvement over the game without mods, however things definitely loaded faster with the mod.

@Ipsquiggle / @fatheroctopus Were any changes made re: the excessive logging entries detailed here : 

Edited by Lifegrow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

klei.ruby    344
3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

@Ipsquiggle@fatheroctopus Were any changes made re: the excessive logging entries detailed here :

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Changed how "building uptime" data is calculated and stored, this should cut down on the size of data stored drastically

@Lifegrow Yep!

• Thanks 1

Lifegrow    1,565
6 minutes ago, klei.ruby said:

@Lifegrow Yep!

Beautiful thank you. Will do some more tinkering and see how it plays out.

Honestly though, for the last 10 cycles I've ran in my old colony, it feels no different performance wise. 

*Edit* for context - here are a couple of saves to play with, I loaded and played them briefly on both launch release and testing release - i'd argue the testing release actively feels worse.

Brassy Blue Balls With FastSave.sav

Stream Base for Ipsquiggle.sav

Edited by Lifegrow
  • Like 1

chemie    665

Now I know why I was getting micro sutter every 10 seconds or so.  A large bank of "check drowning" or check temps being processed.  Great to spread these out.

SharraShimada    652

It seems your testing patch broke something.

I´m using Nightinggales Piped-Output mod, and the log states: 

[22:17:08.292] [1] [INFO] Error occurred with mods active. Disabling all mods (unless dev mods active).
MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ConduitFlow.AddConduitUpdater'.
  at KMonoBehaviour.Spawn () [0x00075] in D:\JenkinsWorkspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:284 
Rethrow as Exception: Error in MethaneGeneratorComplete.PipedDispenser.OnSpawn
  at KMonoBehaviour.Spawn () [0x000bf] in D:\JenkinsWorkspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:291 
  at KMonoBehaviour.Start () [0x00011] in D:\JenkinsWorkspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:242 

The log goes on for every building changed by the mod.

Did you removed the used method? Or has it just changed, and the author can update the mod with another call?

• Confused 1

SharraShimada    652
Just now, Cairath said:

Can't really expect Klei to test patches with mods o.o Conduits related mods just need to be updated.

I dont expect Klei to test with mods at all. I just wanted to bring this to attention, and if they removed the call, maybe by accident, they can repair it. If not, the mod just needs updating. Mot author is notified.

The save loads normally the first time but when you pause the game and reload it it'll crash. Maybe it's just my potato computer, but I attached the save. I reloaded the save because I've encountered the liquid shutoff bug mentioned by Nitroturtle.

Tortuga Clean Start.sav

The save reloads and results in a black screen with NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Edited by PreliatorMax
update

Lifegrow    1,565

Anyone done any testing with pipe element sensors/shutoffs?

they seem to be completely broken for me - i.e. randomly letting the wrong packets through.

Also it doesn't seem to allow you to roll your save back to the previous build :

image.png.c65c27125fcb2ba451e850e6b84b4d0d.png

@Ipsquiggle / @fatheroctopus / @klei.ruby

Edited by Lifegrow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1