New Performance Patch in Testing - 369994

• Developer
2 hours ago, fatheroctopus said:
2 hours ago, Loraty said:

The last save before I installed the new version is attached.

uc27.sav

Hi Loraty, could you post your save and we can take a look at the before/after.

It appears that the difference in steam engine behavior is a cascading effect of the liquid shutoff behaving differently (as also reported by others). The disinfecting behavior still needs to be investigated

Ok after half an hour of testing [mostly an idle test with 24 duplicants in base cycle ~3000]

=> I hope it´s just the usual testing branch logging code, but my game seems to run 3-4 fps worse.

(3x speed and without moving the camera for a couple minutes)

PS: If the current testing branch is just about performance increases, I might switch back to the stable branch ...

[There is nothing new to spark my interest in tinkering with it.]

=> Even a single melting point change or something like that could do the trick ;)

Spoiler

Maybe we finally get a way to deal with unused databanks or artifacts.

My rocket silo is filling up with crappy artifacts.

Edited by Lilalaunekuh

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

It seems your testing patch broke something.

I´m using Nightinggales Piped-Output mod, and the log states:

[snip]

Did you removed the used method? Or has it just changed, and the author can update the mod with another call?

First of all I think the problem should be fixed in my end and not in ONI. Generally speaking Klei doesn't fix mods.

Secondly there is no need to ask those questions. Mod creators can actually look up the answers themselves. If a mod problem is to be reported to Klei, then it's because "your change prevents me from modding X". If this is needed, then I will do so myself and very detailed, but so far I have nothing pointing in that direction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Of course its primarily the mod authors thing to fix it, if possible. All i wanted wa,s to bring attention to the devs, that, while they made this huge "code-reorganizing-orgy", they may removed something by accident. Nothing more, nothing less. It this is not the devs fault, thats okay too. But if nobody tells them, something maybe went wrong, especially with a testing code release, how do they know?

@Ipsquiggle
I get for sure a "small" FPS increase, perhaps 5 FPS with the base in the attachment (from pre launch - zoomed out max. without mods).
When i drag the screen around, it drops sometimes very much (below 20 FPS).
At random times (not many), i get for 1/2 sec no ambient/game sound. (complete silence), i have music disabled, not sure if it stops too.
When i zoom in, on fog of war areas, i get up to 60 FPS..
3blcg8.jpg.ee1dfaaa952cb96645e13e005302e4c5.jpg

Saved Base (pre launch created)
5d8c4c87b9733_methdreiCycle862.thumb.png.2026fe504866c357955881966aff0bc3.png

meth drei Cycle 862.sav

• Like 1

Okay I encountered several very nasty bugs with conveyor rails:

• Material is being loaded infinitely into a conveyor loader and then passed through a rail loop, although the rail loop is full, So massive amount of materials are being deleted.
  • Sweeper picks up materials from the conveyor loader and then loads them back into the same loader endlessly.
  • Materials are falling out of the rails when they enter a conveyor bridge.
  • Sweepers don't pick materials from receptacles anymore, doesn't matter how you set the priority between the receptacle and targeted container.
Spoiler

FA26BB83C911EFA5C811A7753C62C1724457A97B

Rails seem to be REALLY messed up.

All 4 bugs can be seen here:

TESTING BRANCH SAVE.sav

P.S.

I don't use any mods.

Edited by Steve Raptor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

The newly added tiny worlds (if you remove the skip line in their yaml) fail to generate, the loading screen doesn't display any text in the text box and the game hangs.

In exactly the same way my custom map https://github.com/h00701350103/Oxygen-Not-Included_Mods/tree/master/emptera_fork hangs (it works on live) but if I increase the world size in the Y coordinate from 256 to 288 or 320 it works just fine.

Not a dealbreaker for my mod as 256->288 isn't a huge jump, but many other small maps are screwed. I know this is complaining to main devs about modding, but this is not related to harmony patches in any way and is purely a bug in the yaml world generation handling so would make small world gen mods significantly more difficult to make.

relevant parts of Player.log : https://pastebin.com/z2WmfxeQ - no other mods enabled

I think it should go without saying that if you are going to help out with testing, you should forego any mods you are accustomed to. Put blueprints and pliers in a safe place. Cast those fast saves, dooricons, schedule master, falling sand, and sweep by type away. Do not be swayed by draggable ui, deconstructible poi props, favorite resources, critter inventory, or build over plants. Look away from the compact info cards, dgsm, settings change tool, show industrial machinery tag, achievement progress, and even gas overlay. Trust a friend to hold onto your care package manager, plan buildings without materials, bigger camera zoom out, bigger building menu, and geyser calculated average output tooltip. I know life without mods can seem like emptyworlds, but with your help, we can make this a neon eden. The only one who can mod manager your life is you.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

I want to preface this by saying that I work in software development myself and I have a lot of respect for the game devs and the hard work they put into improving the game.  I've also been quite vocal about having these performance issues addressed and I've been checking forums daily hoping to see a performance patch drop.

With that said, I eagerly hopped on the test branch and loaded up my 2k cycle save to see the difference.  The game does feel slightly smoother I guess, but it's marginal at best.  Had this patch gone live without mentioning performance inprovements, I don't know that I would have noticed.  Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe my specific use-case doesn't see much gain (I play on a <1 year old fairly high end PC).  Maybe the improvements are being counteracted by the logging that happens on test builds and will improve once the build goes live.  

I was hopeful that we'd see significant performance gains in late game bases.  I was also hopeful that the issue with reloading a game while within the game would be fixed (faster to exit game then load than to reload within the game).

With no disrespect to the devs, my honest feedback is that this performance pass didn't seem to improve much from what I've seen.  Hopefully this is an ongoing effort and we'll see additional improvements, either in the current test build or future builds.  

BTW, may want to take a look at the power overlay.  If I select a battery and then click on the energy tab, my game drops to single digit FPS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:
  • Material is being loaded infinitely into a conveyor loader and then passed through a rail loop, although the rail loop is full, So massive amount of materials are being deleted.
  • Sweeper picks up materials from the conveyor loader and then loads them back into the same loader endlessly.

Actually they are dropped from the Loader output to the ground. Afaik they dont get deleted.

4 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

Sweepers don't pick materials from receptacles anymore, doesn't matter how you set the priority between the receptacle and targeted container.

I could not replicate this. Nevermind, saw it in your save. Save/Load seems to fix it...

Edited by snoozer

I've noticed weird liquid shutoff performance. It says "pipe blocked" when outputting into empty pipe.

Enabled by automation 100% uptime (you can see hydro sensor at top left on gif) and receiving pipe is also 100% empty. So I guess it's getting jammed by its own released packet of liquid and it works only at 1/2 rate now.

weird shutoff.gif

Edited by woodenstars
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

...even while we're busy crafting the next phase of Oxygen Not Included. Thank you so much--as always--for taking the time to bring issues and concerns to our attention, and for being part of this game.

Most important part IMO ;-)====)

And thank you for making it possible to be part of this! It is only because you went ahead and took a real risk that we have ONI now. I do expect that some people will try to come up with "clones" in the future (as seems to be happening with Factorio now), but they will be hard pressed to get anywhere near to what you have created.

17 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Ok after half an hour of testing [mostly an idle test with 24 duplicants in base cycle ~3000]

=> I hope it´s just the usual testing branch logging code, but my game seems to run 3-4 fps worse.

(3x speed and without moving the camera for a couple minutes)

That is probably intended. What it should do is run much smoother, i.e. the lowest FPS seen is higher now.

3 hours ago, woodenstars said:

I've noticed weird liquid shutoff performance. It says "pipe blocked" when outputting into empty pipe.

Enabled by automation 100% uptime (you can see hydro sensor at top left on gif) and receiving pipe is also 100% empty. So I guess it's getting jammed by its own released packet of liquid and it works only at 1/2 rate now.

I have the same thing. Looks like the Liquid Shutoff is blocking itself.

• Developer
10 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

Okay I encountered several very nasty bugs with conveyor rails:

• Materials are falling out of the rails when they enter a conveyor bridge.
  • Sweepers don't pick materials from receptacles anymore, doesn't matter how you set the priority between the receptacle and targeted container.
  Reveal hidden contents

Rails seem to be REALLY messed up.

All 4 bugs can be seen here:

TESTING BRANCH SAVE.sav

P.S.

I don't use any mods.

Just would like to acknowledge that we've confirmed the liquid shutoff and conveyor bugs are both related to the same conduit flow changes. The posted saves have been extremely helpful, thanks!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, woodenstars said:

weird shutoff.gif

That Looks like it’s trying to round robin out of the shutoff. Trying to put packets going down, then after it tries, finds out it can’t go that direction, and just pipe blocks every time it’s trying that direction. Instead of knowing it can’t go that way from the start and putting all the packets going upward. 

I loaded an old save where I had extreme lag attempting to dig expand tall water reservoirs when mining/building ladders at the bottom - I initially tried it on priority 9 and it was the start of the cycle, and I was amazed at how much smoother it was - prior to this, I would have locked up as soon as they would have started mining/building the first layer, if not before. It stuttered a bit, but they were able to complete the job

I tried it on high priority and it was much more of a FPS drop/stutter/freeze, however - it still performed much better thanks to this patch

-

Save file is attached if you'd like to take a look. I've grown to prefer neater plumbing but figured I'd share :)

925UpdatePreLagTest.png

925UpdatePreLagTest.sav

• Thanks 1