Gassy moo bait?

I finally went through the insane hassle it is to get Gas Grass up and running, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get the Gassy Moo into the area.  I assume I need an Airborne Critter Bait to capture it, but what resource do I use as bait?

5 hours ago, dama789123 said:

just put a critter dropoff and set it to zero gassy moes. they will wrangle it without any lure.

The catch is, the dropoff must be in a room.  

The best part about setting up a Gassy Moo farm is that they don't reproduce.  So you'll get real good at dealing with getting them wrangled if you continue to raise them.  

With the amount of work involved in setting up the infrastructure to support a Gassy Moo farm, they could produce tungstun and I'd still question if it's worth the effort.

1 hour ago, Nitroturtle said:

The catch is, the dropoff must be in a room.  

The best part about setting up a Gassy Moo farm is that they don't reproduce.  So you'll get real good at dealing with getting them wrangled if you continue to raise them.  

With the amount of work involved in setting up the infrastructure to support a Gassy Moo farm, they could produce tungstun and I'd still question if it's worth the effort.

No it does not. I've done this tons of times with the drop off being in an area that was thousands of tiles. It just takes a while for the moo to get to the dropoff sometimes.

1 hour ago, Chthonicone said:

No it does not. I've done this tons of times with the drop off being in an area that was thousands of tiles. It just takes a while for the moo to get to the dropoff sometimes.

I stand corrected.  It's actually the dropoff location that has to be in a room.  Just tested both scenarios.

7 hours ago, Promethien said:

Aren't they easier now that we can wild plant gas grass?

The whole "issue" with gas grass is you need to give them sunlight, as you can't get artificial lights to be bright enough to grow them.  I believe they still keep that requirement if wild planted, but I haven't tested to verify.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:05 PM, Promethien said:

Aren't they easier now that we can wild plant gas grass?

Omg. Wild gas grass... I didn't even think of that until I read this. I must go mess with that right now.

2 minutes ago, Tonyroid said:

Omg. Wild gas grass... I didn't even think of that until I read this. I must go mess with that right now.

I discovered very quickly that it requires a column of sunlight, and that it's production is so slow that it's basically a waste of perfectly good sunlight.

22 minutes ago, Tonyroid said:

I discovered very quickly that it requires a column of sunlight, and that it's production is so slow that it's basically a waste of perfectly good sunlight.

Yeah, its hard to argue and justify to make a moo farm instead of solar farm in the same area.

Right now its really just for the challenge of it, its nowhere near practical or useful.

Why don't you just overcrowd them with shinebugs. This is the easiest way to keep your plants happy and the moos producing. Just sift the eggs passively with shinebugs and limit them to one tile.

Critter Crowder Concept - replace with glass tiles to emit light.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7176e646330f07fd9ecd17563318f7ad.png.73ca56de37c2029b97752494bed056cc.png

Gassy moos are still useless imo, but I'll keep one as a mascot for my colony.

On 26.9.2019 at 5:09 AM, cblack said:

The whole "issue" with gas grass is you need to give them sunlight, as you can't get artificial lights to be bright enough to grow them. 

That is correct concerning artificial lighting, but it is easily possible to get enough light with the excessive eggs of a sun bug farm. Unfortunately you can‘t see any buildings or other stuff due to the light. And your dupes get sunburned quickly.

3 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

Can we now use sunlamps to make grass grow?

Unfortunately the whole process will be power negative (and quite a lot). It is "close" to negative when you use free light from sun, if you add nearly 1kW per 4 gas grass, you're going to lose a lot of power.

Only foresee this articifial ranching as a late game ranching when you have some power excess.

After sour-cooler power became theoretical concept :)

Am I understand correctly:

It is more efficient to put grass for one totem cow in place of some solar panels, than place solar panels under sun and put solar lamp somewhere else?

After a minute of thinking, of course it is, or else we use lamps to shine on solar panels

Archived